Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

Black Dial Stainless Steel Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph 43mm

cremona

Why not just buy the gen? Isn't too far off.

E.R.

Congrats with your latest purchase. Very nice!

The brown one is waiting for me at home, we havent met yet, I'm abroad.

Can't wait to meet her.

@Ssteel

Can't wait either to see the pics of the result of your project!

nunu78

Hi,

May i know from where to order silver screws to replace the blue screws on movement.

SSTEEL

Wow. So not much of the replica is left. I know this is a project for you. I was curious. With all those gen parts and the rep case. Is it still cheaper then a gen?

Frankening my Carrera works out less that half of the cheapest retail price for a gen.

Why not just buy the gen? Isn't too far off.

Where's the fun in that? ;)

Hi,

May i know from where to order silver screws to replace the blue screws on movement.

I didn't replace the screw, I purchased a Genuine whole Tag Heuer ETA 7750 ;)

For the silver screws to replace the blue ones in the rep 7750, cousinsuk sells them. Parts numbers, and qty are as follows...

3x 5106 (1 spare)

1x 58139 (1 spare)

1x 5121 (2 spare)

1x 51143 (2 spare)

If you are planning to do every screw you in the rep, you will need 4 packs of the 5106. If you search on cousinsuk for 7750.5106 etc they will come up. The part number for the date wheel is: VAL775025571BW3

Edited by SSTEEL

hacker2

Thanks for that cousins info ssteel. Also ignore people saying to buy the gen, it is more rewarding this way! I hope to follow in your footsteps soon enough! Good luck.

SSTEEL

No worries ;)

My Gen parts got stuck in customs here in Finland yesterday, and today I got a telephone call from them asking a few questions, including wanting to know my Social Insurance Number. All done, and they said it will be cleared, although soon after, I received an email of the cost of tax/duty I have to pay unon receipt of my parts. Not too bad though considering. Here's the email..

Dear Michael,

As per our conversation on the phone.

I gave Your SSN to our clearance department, and they will continue with the clearance.

Duties and taxes will be around 24€, plus Advancement Fee 2.50% of duties and taxes with a minimum of € 10.50 whichever is greater.

Have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Terhi

jacobarch

Can't wait to see it done. But I can't help but think the Gen isn't much more than you're paying. Parts, labor, time.......

Get that Gen crystal tho, the rep crystals AR is horrible.

Kcore

Hi Micky, don't know how I missed this thread. I knew you got the Tag rep and were doing a rebuild but never saw this one.

Anyway, WOW oh WOW is right. She's a beauty! What a great project and undertaking. I can't wait to see how the project finishes.

BTW, wonderful pics!!! Wish I could do macro like that.

Best and have a great weekend,

Eric

SSTEEL

Can't wait to see it done. But I can't help but think the Gen isn't much more than you're paying. Parts, labor, time.......

Get that Gen crystal tho, the rep crystals AR is horrible.

Well this is my first Franken, so its a trial run before I get into something a little more serious, but having said this, I just love the design and aesthetics of this Carrera model, so the cost for a new gen does not bother me. This watch will be more than that to me :)

BTW, the AR on the newer Carreras is much much better than the blue earlier models. Mines the later model.

Hi Micky, don't know how I missed this thread. I knew you got the Tag rep and were doing a rebuild but never saw this one.

Anyway, WOW oh WOW is right. She's a beauty! What a great project and undertaking. I can't wait to see how the project finishes.

BTW, wonderful pics!!! Wish I could do macro like that.

Best and have a great weekend,

Eric

Cheers Eric, will post many more eye candy photos, including macro shots when parts arrive, and carry out the side by side, rep vs gen comparisons.

alaoula

Congrats - that's a beauty. I have a similar model that I still haven't worn....need to take a link or two out of the strap.

SSTEEL

The gen parts have landed, everything is AOK, and the ETA is running like a champ. Will get some photos soon, just about to eat.

SSTEEL

Ok, grabbed just a few photos/eye candy for you all of the gen parts. Put the kettle on ;)

SANY0501_zps57da4358.jpg

SANY0502_zps2b4adcf1.jpg

SANY0503_zps2851ac6b.jpg

SANY0504_zps4514c6c7.jpg

SANY0505_zpsee08c35c.jpg

SANY0506_zps31290fce.jpg

SANY0507_zpsbec6a992.jpg

SANY0508_zps165415d7.jpg

SANY0509_zps7ef2184a.jpg

SANY0510_zpse4d438c6.jpg

SANY0511_zpsd043f271.jpg

SANY0512_zps334da26b.jpg

SANY0513_zpsf1e41fab.jpg

SANY0514_zpsc5289345.jpg

SANY0515_zpsede91815.jpg

SANY0516_zps72dad6b4.jpg

SANY0517_zps3090cd98.jpg

SANY0518_zpsddcc03db.jpg

SANY0519_zps0e876e16.jpg

SANY0520_zps062e18a7.jpg

SANY0521_zps26f526d0.jpg

SANY0522_zpse2f35630.jpg

And now onto the heart. a genuine Swiss ETA 7750 movement.. (excuse the small white bits, I have since blown them out)

SANY0523_zps224b57cb.jpg

SANY0524_zps17be206c.jpg

SANY0525_zps9de51a2f.jpg

SANY0526_zpse66b45ea.jpg

SANY0527_zpscad22e7e.jpg

SANY0528_zps147e9d78.jpg

SANY0529_zps1cca3b78.jpg

SANY0530_zps3e8f9f81.jpg

SANY0531_zps61d914c6.jpg

Now onto the gen dial..

SANY0532_zpsebc6c82a.jpg

SANY0533_zpsfbfa86fb.jpg

SANY0534_zpsbfa974c3.jpg

SANY0535_zpse3a7c426.jpg

SANY0536_zps55f90b5a.jpg

SANY0537_zps31ed62c0.jpg

SANY0538_zpsf9a7f4c5.jpg

SANY0539_zps306e0708.jpg

SANY0540_zps428cf279.jpg

SANY0541_zps06fb7591.jpg

Quick photo of the rep dial, and TAG badge

SANY0542_zps320d7dc6.jpg

Reset rep pusher

SANY0543_zps07ea1ea0.jpg

Start rep pusher

SANY0544_zpsc24c9108.jpg

Rep crown

SANY0545_zpscc4cbfab.jpg

Asian 7750

SANY0546_zps7a95f68f.jpg

I will get side by side comparison photos which will have their own threads in the Tag Heuer section as and when I carry out the transplant.

Edited by SSTEEL

Pob

Nice mate but are you sure all this parts will fit the rep watch?

What if they don't?

SSTEEL

From reading other members frankens of the same model, the dial, and movement will fit for sure, its only the crown and pushers I will be the one to find out if they fit or not. If they don't fit, then thats life.

Pob
From reading other members frankens of the same model, the dial, and movement will fit for sure, its only the crown and pushers I will be the one to find out if they fit or not. If they don't fit, then thats life.

Good luck my friend ;)

I have the same Tag on order from Trevor and after i see it in flash i maybe go the same way :)

Looks like we like the same things ;) First TC and now maybe this!

SSTEEL

Thanks Pob :)

SSTEEL

As you can see if you have been following this thread, once the franken is done, I will be left with an A7750, and a rep Tag Carrera dial, with rep crown, and pushers. Well, this got my grey matter working, and yesterday started looking at the el-cheapo Quartz Carrera models.

Some have the exact same dimensions of the 7750 model, 43mm x 52mm x 16mm, so :suck:

I'm seriously considering getting this cheap Quartz Tag Carrera for using with my spare parts from my Franken build...

http://silix-prime.s...roducts_id=5243

It has the exact same physical dimensions of the 7750 model, so my plan is to replace the crown, and pushers from my 7750 model to this cheap one, and then remove the quartz movement, then the dial.

The reason for removing the dial, is because on this cheapie, the TAG badge has the arrows on the G ends of TAG, whereas the 7750 rep Carrera don't.

Seems strange that the cheapie has a more accurate badge over the more expensive model Carrera.

Or even this one, which is cheaper, but if this one, I would not have the correct badge..

http://silix-prime.so/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_234&products_id=3757

Of course though with any of this, all depends on my franken if the gen pushers fit the Carrera case, and then there is the movement holder to think about too, we shall see :)

Edited by SSTEEL

TheInthusiest

I really cant imagine a tag on my wrist...not my forte.

Glad you like it!

SSTEEL

Thanks, each to their own I guess. I simply love the look, design, and presence this watch has, but also being a TAG enthusiast, love the history too behind the Brand.

TheSav

I am following this thread with anticipation Steel. Not sure if it is worth you transferring the 7750 into another case though. Seems like a waste of money to me.

SSTEEL

I am following this thread with anticipation Steel. Not sure if it is worth you transferring the 7750 into another case though. Seems like a waste of money to me.

Well considering I will be stuck with an A7750, with Carrera dial, I may as well do it, and if this goes to plan, I can always sell in M2M :)

SSTEEL

Had a bit of spare time today, so started on the Carrera frankening work, but today I only wanted to remove movement to inspect the pushers construction to see if they were gen like, but sadly they are not, so I will not be able to use my gen pushers in this project, but no problem. I will buy a cheap quartz model to experiment on further with the pushers, so alls not lost yet.

Onto the photos..

Movement complete with dial, and movement holder. Photos for reference in case I need to refit the movement holder to the same position on the gen Calibre 16 movement.

SANY0562_zps953d38db.jpg

SANY0563_zps31c57786.jpg

SANY0564_zpsa5b169bd.jpg

Photos of fitted rep pushers, notice the lack of small flat screwdriver slot..

SANY0565_zps89ec2fed.jpg

SANY0566_zps906c6c9d.jpg

Gen pusher, showing the screw end..

SANY0567_zpsa4f7476f.jpg

Another, better (I hope) photo of the rep internal end with no screw slot..

SANY0568_zps3a568255.jpg

The rep pushers are held in place with what looks like tiny cir-clips, and on closer inspection, they do have rubber o-rings for water resistance, which is a bonus.

I have decided at this point that I will only complete this project once I have received my water resistance tester, and hand press, so I apologise to those who have been following this project, and looking forward to the finished project, but alas it won't be completed now until August time due to family vacation, and parts/tools arriving.

Photos below after movement holder ring removed from the movement. The holder is machined to exact tolerances to simply push fit onto the movement, and it was not screwed in place as I first thought. Lets hope I don't need to rework this holder for the Calibre 16. We shall see.

SANY0569_zpse2a39ee1.jpg

SANY0570_zps61ce023f.jpg

Rep movement holder..

SANY0571_zps992a247a.jpg

And to close, a photo of where the rep movement will reside until I get that cheap quartz Carrera to play with ;)

SANY0572_zps96aedcfa.jpg

There is a case back gasket, and crown inner gasket I discovered, the latter seals on the non-screw-down tube, so whilst not a tight water resistance seal, it is sealed nevertheless. As mentioned above, I will be carrying out a water resistance test when I get my tool, and obviously post results in this thread.

Thanks for following :)

hacker2

Great start mate, shame about the pushers though. Hope to the finished one soon!

SSTEEL

Cheers.

Curiosity got the better of me, I wanted to check if the Calibre 16 gen movement would fit the rep 7750 movement holder, and it looks very very tight, and unsure if it will actually fit at all, I didn't want to push too hard in fitting it just yet, as I will need to get to the dial feet holders on the sides of the movement.

Once dial is fitted, I will try again.

SSTEEL

Someone asked over on RWI if my red tipped Gen hands were shorter that the reps, so I took the photo below.

My gen sub-dial hands are very slightly bigger/longer. (The red tipped ones, the seconds hand, non-red tipped is shorter than these, as per gen, and rep)

Rep fitted, gen in tweezer.

8764805053_6bb38f21ac_b.jpg

Just after I took this photo for you the hand went flying from the tweezers, but luckily I found it not too far away on my work bench :D