Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

Black Dial Stainless Steel Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph 43mm

SSTEEL

Another update for you all, and some more eye candy, yes I said I wasn't going to complete the transplant fully until August, but I just couldn't help myself, and had to finish the job :)

Fitted the gen dial to the Calibre 16..

SANY0574_zpsb12c3650.jpg

Photo of one of the dial feet anchors..

SANY0575_zpsf3c6f51f.jpg

Rep movement holder fitted, it was tight, but fitting over the crown and pushers side first made the job much easier.

Just a note, the movement in this model is held down with three screws, and plates, the tiny plates have an angle on the end that goes into the groove on the inner case, you need to make sure this angled part is facing upwards, facing you with the watch dial facing down. If you fit these the wrong way round, the movement will move.

See photo below of one of said clips..

SANY0584_zpsc7579216.jpg

SANY0576_zpsac2814a0.jpg

Then it was time to fit the hands, and I thought I would tackle the hardest ones first, the sub-dial tiny hands..

SANY0577_zps295d8c8e.jpg

SANY0578_zpsa7b54bca.jpg

SANY0579_zps78bf03cd.jpg

SANY0580_zpsa0cae2f4.jpg

SANY0581_zpsbcbbf5b1.jpg

SANY0582_zps25b0c1d4.jpg

Fitting of the sub-dial hands was tedious, but patience is paramount here, just take your time, use your loupe, and easy does it.

Refitting the hour, minutes, and chronograph hands was easier, but at first I hadn't pushed the hour hand down enough, and when testing the hands to see if they rubbed, rub they did, so off they came, and refitted correctly, checking clearance this time round with my loupe.

Then back into the case..

SANY0583_zpsd0ddd45f.jpg

SANY0585_zpscb5d7656.jpg

SANY0586_zps91efea60.jpg

SANY0587_zps5143d35f.jpg

Admiring my work, I realise in my excitement, I forgot to use the blower, and then I spotted this next to the C of Carrera, ARRRRRRRGGGGG

SANY0588_zps65733ae7.jpg

So, whipped the back off again, removed movement, then gave everything a good blow, and rodico treatment to make sure.

SANY0589_zps6925e20d.jpg

SANY0590_zps5a70f5ee.jpg

SANY0591_zps9ac97d6d.jpg

Now, before fitting the hands earlier, I set to what I thought was midnight. How I came to this conclusion was with the crown in the right position, I turned anticlockwise until the day changed, then I turned clockwise so the date changed, then to double make sure, I then pulled the crown to the time set position, and continued to turn the crown clockwise until the day, and date changed. When they changed I assumed it was midnight.

You know what they say about assumption, well, yes, it fcuked up lol, once I fit everything, and checking the day/date flip over, I got to midnight, and it didn't change. I continues to turn the crown, and the day, and date finally switched to the next day'date at 3AM DOH!

I will correct this next time I remove the movement when I do the water resistance test.

As of right now, everything is pretty much done, just need to trim the stem as its a few mm long, and also fit the gen bracelet resize, and enjoy my franken Carrera.

If you have been following, and actually reading as well as enjoying the eye candy, then well done, congrats, and thanks for following my progress on this project.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask away!

Cheers

Micky

SSTEEL

I tried to remove those smudges from the hands with rodico, but alas the marks are still there, and although they cannot be seen with the naked eye, looking at my photos above, they are clearly seen, so need to do something about those.

Anyone got any ideas on how to remove those smudges on the hands? Q Tips with something wet?

Pob

Great work mate! If i decide to do the same i might just send it to you ;)

SSTEEL

Great work mate! If i decide to do the same i might just send it to you ;)

I could do that :) I will update this thread when after I try and clean those hands up with pure alcohol tomorrow.

Segoy

Good job. I will keep following the progress.

SSTEEL

Will clean the hands today and post photos of the result, fingers crossed those marks come off.

sgtguk

This is coming on great SS, looks really nice with the Gen dial and hands in place, Congrats for having the balls to do it :suck:

SSTEEL

This is coming on great SS, looks really nice with the Gen dial and hands in place, Congrats for having the balls to do it :suck:

Cheers mate, appreciated. I have really enjoyed doing this :) Will clean the hands today to remove those smudges, then need to trim my stem, then fit the gen bracelet after resizing it, and I can then start wearing it :)

TheSav

I do believe you mean that then you can take an obscene amount of pictures of it to post in this thread.

MTL1364

Congrats, and thank's for a great thread, Really enjoy seeing this type of work done, I don't think i'd have the Balls to take something of this magnitude on, but I'll keep checking back on your progress, Excellent work though.

SSTEEL

Cheers guys :)

SSTEEL

And done, cleaned the hands, and about to trim the stem, then will post some more eye candy.

No idea why, but my hands were a little shaky today, yesterday I was rock solid, but today was another story. Anyone would think I had the DT's after a night on the pop, but thats certainly not the case.

SSTEEL

Ok, and all done with the transplant, and stem cutting :) Onto some photos for you all, more later with the gen bracelet fitted, and more importantly, the infamous wrist shot :D

SANY0592_zpsf5fabc37.jpg

SANY0593_zps29e520ca.jpg

SANY0594_zpsfa22e6bc.jpg

SANY0595_zps5102c2f6.jpg

SANY0596_zps1010d4af.jpg

SANY0597_zps851f1fac.jpg

SANY0598_zps9a04096c.jpg

SANY0599_zps09b66eed.jpg

SANY0600_zpsd5383adf.jpg

And the heart, the Genuine Tag Heuer Swiss 7750 ETA Calibre decorated Calibre 16 :)

SANY0601_zps2382e497.jpg

SANY0602_zps85a3ac16.jpg

SANY0603_zps5d0d60ea.jpg

Just about to have lunch now, so after I've eaten, I will fit, resize, and wear this beauty, and of course give you some more eye candy too ;)

Thanks for following everyone!

SSTEEL

Ok guys, a little more eye candy for you, I removed a full link from the gen bracelet, but it still wears a little too loose, so will remove a half link, and see how that feels. Here's a few photos of the Carrera on the bracelet, enjoy!

SANY0604_zpsc5a883d0.jpg

SANY0605_zps275f08a9.jpg

SANY0606_zpsf161750c.jpg

TheSav

Great job man. Truly great job. Can't wait for a wrist shot. Can you update with what you have actually managed to do as well?

Beat me to it lol. Looks great :)

SSTEEL

Work that I have done...

Genuine parts fitted, basically, which include..

New Black Dial

All 6 hands

Swiss ETA 7750 Calibre 16 decorated movement

Crown & stem

Bracelet

SSTEEL

The lume shot. The gen hands have a little more life than the rep ones, but still, this in my opinion is the only weak point of this model.

SANY0609_zps41e25214.jpg

TheSav

Again, great work. Is you chrono hand a poofteenth off or is that just the angle?

SSTEEL

It is a poofteenth off, but Its neither here or there, I can live with it, as I don't wish to remove, and replace it again, not today anyway as I was having the shakes earlier lol

SSTEEL

I'm now on the look out for a gen bezel insert as the Y in TACHYMETRE is crap on the rep one. See photo below, (Photo shown before Franken)

SANY0319_zps6fca3d6e.jpg

Found this one below which is cheap, can't find a gen, but will enquire to see how much a gen insert costs new.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tag-Heuer-Bezel-Insert-Carrera-Black-/230933258826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c4b1e24a

Edited by SSTEEL

68 Bullit

A great thread, I understand the satisfaction of creating a franken using gen parts, I wish I could find a gen dial for my TAG Carrera day date ti.

Segoy

Oops... too bad about this Y letter.

I double-checked mine and it's ok.

P1920391.jpg

SSTEEL

Yes I know, it is a shame, so I have asked my supplier to get me a gen one, then its a case of removing the old one without causing any damage to the stainless steel, and refitting the gen insert :D

Yours looks spot on, you will be blown away when it arrives, its oozes quality, and detail :)

Who did you buy yours from? Got mine from Trevor, $284 delivered by triangular shipping to Finland :)

Edited by SSTEEL

68 Bullit

A great thread, I understand the satisfaction of creating a franken using gen parts, I wish I could find a gen dial for my TAG Carrera day date ti.

Send a message to this ebay seller ;)http://myworld.ebay....=p2047675.l2559

Kiitos SSteel, I will check him out.