Sign in to follow this  
Paul6754

Another Noob here - apols for the questions.

Paul6754

I live on the frozen tundra of the USA, know little about watches but would like to purchase some nice reps, just can't afford to buy a gen high end watch. I bought 3 cheap Rolex reps (battery/quartz) in Spain 2-3 years ago that I paid $12 for (more for fun than anything else), one has fallen apart but the other two are still keeping good time!!, I also bought a Rolex automatic for $25 but it keeps poor time.

Some questions if I may, the basis of the questions is to buy a watch that keeps accurate (reasonably) time;

1) Does the Asian 21J automatic movement described in many reasonably priced reps keep good time. Is there just one Asian producer of this movement or are there many, if there are many does the quality, as far as the accuate timekeeping, vary.

2) Is the Japanese 21J Miyota automatic movement described in many reps a genuine Japanese made movement (eg by Citizen) or is it a Chinese made copy. Does the Japanese 21J Miyota automatic movement keep good time.

3) How does the Asian 21J movement compare with the Japanese Miyota 21J movement as far as accurate timekeeping.

4) Is the Japanese quartz movement descibed in may reps a Miyota movement made in japan or could it be a Chinese copy. Do the movements described as Japanese quartz keep accurate time.

5) If a website describes a rep as having a Japanese Miyota or quartz movement is this what is fitted when the watch is delivered, I realise what is written on the internet is sometimes not true but wondered what people's experiences were who have purchased reps.

vonGluberschmidt

be more specific.

what models are you looking at specifically.

then we can give you more direction.

greg_r

1, There are many suppliers of 21J movements. Some are better than others. The better quality 21J reps will generally keep good time and should be reliable for many years (my oldest is now 13 years old).

2. There are no japanese 21Js in reps

3. Irrelevant.

4. Most of the ones I've seen have indeed been Miyota, but I suppose some may be from other sources. Doesn't matter - quartz tends to be both reliable and accurate, but you don't get the smooth-sweeping second hand that you'll find in mechanical movements. If absolute accuracy was all that people wanted, Casio would be more sought after than Rolex. ;)

5. If you buy from our trusted dealers you will get the watch as described in their listing. That is one of the conditions of them being here.

Now go spend some time reading the topics pinned to the top of the New Members, General Discussion and Watch Repair & Upgrade subforums. There's a lot of good info there that will help you make an informed choice...

acid_luving

Mate where are you from? I myself live in the Tundras way up North

parisianshut

first and last sign of a member ?

scorpion

Welcome, G'day Mate, Huan Ying, Velkommen, Welkom, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, Dzieñ Dobry, Dobrodošao, Vítejte, Bonvenon, Tervetuloa, Accueil, Fogadtatás, Velkomin, Selamat Datang, Powitanie, Bem-vindo, and Välkommen....................

My advice is to leave here right now, dont look back just go away and forget you ever found this site.................

Or get your wallet ready for a serious spending spree!!!!!! And make sure you have a good long read, you can get some great

information from this forum, all the answers are here if you look hard enough!

jeffw69

Welcome, G'day Mate, Huan Ying, Velkommen, Welkom, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, Dzieñ Dobry, Dobrodošao, Vítejte, Bonvenon, Tervetuloa, Accueil, Fogadtatás, Velkomin, Selamat Datang, Powitanie, Bem-vindo, and Välkommen....................

My advice is to leave here right now, dont look back just go away and forget you ever found this site.................

Or get your wallet ready for a serious spending spree!!!!!! And make sure you have a good long read, you can get some great

information from this forum, all the answers are here if you look hard enough!

UmpaHimself

If you spend more that $150 on almost any watch from almost any of our trusted dealers you will get a mostly reliable watch that keeps accurate time within 10+/- seconds. There will always be bad luck and a dead watch (I've only had one and it came from M2M) now and again but for the most part you will always get something that's highly usable for everyday wear.

What you spend your money on is accuracy, and were not talking about time. For a big generalization, the more money you spend, the closer your watch will look, feel and function like the gen. More money usually equals nicer/correct materials (e.g. titanium), higher quality clasps, more accurate movements (mainly in function), more accurate engravings, more accurate dimensions and so on.

Read and all will be revealed.

myaz

Part of what Greg_r says in #4 is that the ticking seconds hand is the main tell that you have a rep. You need a mechanical movement for a smooth sweep.

Paul6754

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.