Sign in to follow this  
watchnut

Customs Duties from USA to UK

watchnut

Hi Guys, can anyone tell me how to get around the expensive duty we have to pay in the UK for goods coming from the other side of the pond? I am after a gen watch from a private seller for around $500, is it just a matter of the shipper saying its only worth $xxx's and I take the risk that it does not get opened and pay the smaller amount of tax and what happens if it does get opened? Is it worth getting the shipper to say its a gift? I also want to make sure that its insured via USPS for the full amount. What do you think I should do.

Thanks in advance

Amit

get it sent via standard, it will minimise a the chance of being stopped by customs. not sure if it even needs a decleration.

HWG

I am not sure of the % rate you would be assessed, but yes, it is determined by the value stated by the seller on the customs form. You would be taking a risk if having the seller declare a lower value on the watch than it is worth. It can not be insured for more than the delcared amount on the customs form... no way around that. Insurance, if purchased, must match the valuation on the customs form.

HWG

get it sent via standard, it will minimise a the chance of being stopped by customs. not sure if it even needs a decleration.

It needs one... any package leaving the USA needs one. They even enter info into the computer while you are still at the post office now. The only thing sent international from USA to anywhere else that would not need a declaration would be a simple letter.

Amit

ok i sent watches from UK to US via standard and i didn't need to make a customs declaration at all.

You will get hit for duties then, and like HWG said it will be based on the value declared. i received a watch for a member from the US and the duties came to £25.

greg_r

It's a bit of a game as sometimes you'll get away with it. However for that sort of value, it's fairly likely that you'll get hit for duty.

watchnut

Cheers guys, as Greg said sometimes I have got away with it but last time I thought I got a bargain from ebay and then had to hand over an extra £200+ before I could pick the watch up!! I guess the saying is true, only 2 things in life are guaranteed Death and Taxes.

raphy

dont use UPS they are the worst they will charge a 50% fee just to use their services. I ended up paying more in COD fees then I did for my package.