Sign in to follow this  
RWGadmin

Fitting a 4813 to a noobmariner, Repost of Ajoesmith's tutorial. PART 1

RWGadmin

This tutorial was posted here some time ago, but unfortunately there was a problem with the images. Following a request by one of our members, here's a fixed version. The original thread can be found HERE.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT MY WORK, AS WITH THE PREVIOUS THREAD IT IS A REPOST OF A TUTORIAL WRITTEN BY AJOESMITH.

This is a tutorial of how to install a DG4813 into a noob sub!This is just my method and i do what works for me. This may or may not be the correct way of doing this but im no expert.Id like to thank the forums as they have provided me with the knowledge to do this. So enjoy!

What youll need for the job, notice the nice glass of Red!

CIMG3476.jpg

Of course the watch it self, a Noob Sub, the movement for the swap, a new DG4813 fastbeat movement. Some post it notes, tweezers etc

CIMG3477.jpg

Another pic of the tools

CIMG3478.jpg

Some lint paper? not sure if thats what its called and Rolex case back opening tools

CIMG3479.jpg

The Red wine

CIMG3480.jpg

The Watch - a Noob Factory Sub

CIMG3481.jpg

First step, get the bracelet off, so that we can get access to the case back

CIMG3482.jpg

Remove the plastic

CIMG3483.jpg

Open the buckle

CIMG3484.jpg

Open up the divers extension

CIMG3485.jpg

Here is the spring bar that needs to be pressed so as to release the divers extension.

CIMG3486.jpg

Pressed and released

CIMG3487.jpg

Watc and bracelet sitting flat, easier access to the case back

CIMG3488.jpg

The bergeon Rolex case back opening tools

CIMG3489.jpg

The red wine, time for a sip

CIMG3490.jpg

Nice

CIMG3491.jpg

The bergeon openers, going to use the biggest one on the far right

CIMG3492.jpg

Here it is

CIMG3493.jpg

put the case back opener onto the handle

CIMG3494.jpg

Put the watch face down in your hand

CIMG3495.jpg

Put the case back opener on top, put pressure on and turn

CIMG3496.jpg

Off the back comesCIMG3497.jpg

RWGadmin

PART TWO:

Remove the rubber seal with the tweezers

CIMG3498.jpg

At thie point, turn the watch over and unscrew the crown and pull out to the time setting position and set the time to 12 oclock, this will help in the hand removal

CIMG3499.jpg

Time for another mouthful!

CIMG3500.jpg

and another

CIMG3501.jpg

Next to remove the movement, youll need to unscrew the movement holder screws - 1 here

CIMG3502.jpg

and 1 here

CIMG3503.jpg

Unscrewed

CIMG3504.jpg

Screw removed

CIMG3505.jpg

Metal tab removed

CIMG3506.jpg

Other one removed too

CIMG3507.jpg

Next to release the stem, here is the stem release button

CIMG3508.jpg

A close up

CIMG3509.jpg

Press it - GENTLY

CIMG3510.jpg

While pressing gently, use the other hand to pull the stem out by the pulling on the crown, when the stem releases, stop pushing on the stem release button

CIMG3511.jpg

Stem out

CIMG3512.jpg

Turn the watch on its side

CIMG3513.jpg

Quickly and smoothly turn the watch dial side up n a sheet of paper or something clean

CIMG3514.jpg

Sometimes it doesnt 'drop' out, itll need a light 'tap'

CIMG3515.jpg

Part 2A few 'taps' on the crystal and its out!

CIMG3516.jpg

Lift the watch case away and set it t the side

CIMG3517.jpg

Here is the movement, dial and hands, youll need this from now on

CIMG3518.jpg

Lift the movement up and there is the movement holder under it, again place it to the side

CIMG3519.jpg

Some more wine

CIMG3520.jpg

Another sip!CIMG3521.jpg

RWGadmin

CIMG3522.jpg

Peel of a post it and fold it in half

CIMG3523.jpg

Like thisCIMG3524.jpg

Then cut it in half

CIMG3525.jpg

Now you have 2 post its!

CIMG3526.jpg

Place the post its at 3 oclock and 9 oclock position and under the hour hand

CIMG3527.jpg

Use the hand removal tool to remove the hands, its very difficult to photograph as I only have 2 hands, 1 for the camera and 1 for the tool, so this pic is really just to show you the position, don't remove the hands by just using 1 hand. Use 1 hand to remove and 1 hand to hold the movement in place

CIMG3528.jpg

Second hand off

CIMG3529.jpg

All hands now off

CIMG3530.jpg

Next youll need a screwdriver, choose which ever one will fit best

CIMG3531.jpg

You need to 'loosen' the dial feet screws, heres 1

CIMG3532.jpg

And another, just a few turns, you don't need to remove them completely

CIMG3533.jpg

The dial is now easily removed, its coming off a little

CIMG3534.jpg

Now its off

CIMG3535.jpg

This is also the dial spacer that goes underneath the dial

CIMG3536.jpg

Heres the movement with the dial off

CIMG3537.jpg

To remove the datewheel, there are 3 screws to be removed, 1 is ok but 2 are tricky. Here is a tricky one.

CIMG3538.jpg

Another one, its ok and easy to remove

CIMG3539.jpg

Here is the third and most difficult screw, as you can see from the pic its half covered by the datewheel

CIMG3540.jpg

Unscrew the first screw all the way, it wont come right out as the overlay it slightly covering it, that's ok, just unscrew it fully and leave it in place.

CIMG3541.jpg

Tried to take it out but it wasn't coming out and I didn't want to damage the datewheel so I just left it there, I also removed the other screw that easy to remove.

CIMG3542.jpg

RWGadmin

Here is the problem screw, it half under the datewheel, I used my smallest screwdriver and just used half of the screw head and unscrewed in half turns until it was fully unscrewed It also wont come out fully due to the datewheel

CIMG3545.jpg

Another pic of it

CIMG3546.jpg

A close up of the screw to show you just how far under the overlay it is, quite difficult to unscrew but possible

CIMG3547.jpg

Datewheel comes off, youll notice that the metal plate also comes off as the datewheel overlay prevents removing this, its ok as it fits perfectly on the DG4813 so we can leave it like it is

CIMG3548.jpg

The underside of the datewheel and plate

CIMG3549.jpg

Whats this? This has happened every time I have done this, is a piece of the date change mechanism, not sure what this piece is called but itll have to be put back in place, no big deal

CIMG3550.jpg

A pic of the piece removed

CIMG3551.jpg

Here is the 'datechange spring' don't know what this is called either or the proper terminology but DON'T LOSE IT. Itll need to be removed - CAREFULLY

CIMG3552.jpg

Its now removed, sorry for the pic

CIMG3554.jpg

Here comes the new movement!

CIMG3555.jpg

Ok, movement getting ready

CIMG3556.jpg

Here are the 3 screws that need to be removed, on this movement you can see that they are easily removed as there is no datewheel overlay covering the screw heads. Remove all 3 screws

CIMG3557.jpg

Showing the screw to remove, same as the other movement

CIMG3558.jpg

All screws removed, datewheel off

CIMG3559.jpg

Again you can see this small part that seems to 'stick' on the back of the datewheel cover plate, this will need to be put back in place

CIMG3560.jpg

Again don't forget to remove this spring and DON'T LOSE IT!

CIMG3561.jpg

Again im not sure of the terminology for this part but its function is very important. This part needs, if its in the positin like the picture, needs to be moved slightly higher so the datewheel can be put back on. So from this position

CIMG3562.jpg

To this position

CIMG3563.jpg

Here is our part that needs to go back

CIMG3564.jpg

Simply set it in place, easy

CIMG3565.jpg

Ok here is the noob datewheel with was taken from the original noob watch movement

CIMG3566.jpg

RWGadmin

To put it back on correctly, it needs to be lined up correctly. The 'hole' that im pointing to should cover the balance jewel, so put it back on like that

CIMG3567.jpg

This is why I like using plastic tweezers for this part as metal tweezers may damage the datewheel!

CIMG3568.jpg

Ok datewheel back in place, now its time to tighten the screws, heres 1

CIMG3569.jpg

Another, kind of covered by the datewheel overlay

CIMG3570.jpg

The third screw, it's a half covered by the datewheel so just tighten it in half turns so as not to damage the datewheel overlay

CIMG3571.jpg

Next the spring needs to go back in place. You may b asking 'Why didn't he put the spring back before the datewheel plate was put on?' Well, its done after so that parts don't fly everywhere! If you wait until the datewheel plate goes on then when putting this spring back, parts cannot 'fly' anywhere as they are held in place by he datewheel plate. It save a lot of time and hassle!

CIMG3576.jpg

The spring goes back here

CIMG3577.jpg

Set it in place like this

CIMG3578.jpg

Its difficult to shoe but use your tweezers to put it back in place.

CIMG3579.jpg

Next loosen the dial feet screws, only a couple of turns, heres 1

CIMG3580.jpg

Heres the otherCIMG3581.jpg

Get the original dial, with the spacer

CIMG3582.jpg

Put the spacer on the back of the dial firstCIMG3583.jpg

Then while holding the dial, dial side down like the above pic, put the movement onto the dial, not the other way round. I find its much easier this way as the dial spacer ring tends to fall off easily.

CIMG3584.jpg

Close up of date, its okCIMG3585.jpg

Check that the date is functioning ok, pull the crown out to the 1st click and change the date. If its ok, great, if you have nay problems maybe something is out of place, maybe due to putting the datewheel back on.

CIMG3586.jpg

More wineCIMG3587.jpg

Another mouthfulCIMG3588.jpg

Time for installing the hands, youll need, some lint paper and a hand press

CIMG3589.jpg

Ok and I forgot, some more plastic tweezers

CIMG3590.jpg

Before you do anything, you need to make sure the movement is ready for the hour hand.What I mean is that the movement time is set to midnight 12am. TO check this, pull the crown so its in the time setting position, now turn the crown to change the time forward, on this movement I think its anti clockwise or the Americans it counter clockwise. As soon a the date changes STOP, this is midnight and we are now ready to put the hour hand on.Simply set it on using the tweezers

CIMG3591.jpg

Once your happy that its at the 12 oclock position, use the end of the plastic tweezers to press it in place, DO THIS GENTLY AS IT MAY NEED TO BE MOVED

CIMG3592.jpg

Now check that its working but more importantly that the date changes over at exactly 12am!

CIMG3593.jpg

Keep changing the time, getting closer to 12am!

CIMG3594.jpg

Ok here we are its nearly 12am, the date will change soon, change the time slowly now

CIMG3595.jpg

RWGadmin

Ok the date has changed but its not 12am, that's ok, simply move the hour hand back to the 12am position using the plastic tweezers. Remember you didn't press too hard on the hour hand to set it in place so it should be easy to move and reposition.

CIMG3596.jpg

Ok repositioned to 12am, lets check again

CIMG3598.jpg

Bingo! Its changed exactly at 12am, now its time to fully press the hour hand in place

CIMG3599.jpg

Youll need the lint paper and a hand press

CIMG3600.jpg

Put the lint paper over the dial, completely

CIMG3601.jpg

Using an appropriate sized hand press set it over the hour hand hole and press with firm even pressure. WARNING: DON'T PRESS TO HARD AS YOULL PRESS THE HAND TOO CLOSE TO THE DIAL SURFACE. Just firm gentle pressure.

CIMG3602.jpg

Like this

CIMG3603.jpg

It's a bad pic but can you see the hour hand, its firmly pressed on and it has good clearance from the dial surface and also a lot of space for the minute hand as well

CIMG3604.jpg

Final check to see if it changes at12am and it does!

CIMG3605.jpg

Time for the minute hand, same procedure as the hour hand, set it in place

CIMG3606.jpg

Use the tweezers to GENTLY press it on

CIMG3607.jpg

Now change the time to see if the date changes at 12am, no it doesn't, it changes at 12.10am. IT only 10 minutes but I can do better so we will try again

CIMG3608.jpg

Again using the tweezers move the minute hand back to the 12am position. You may also need to press it on slightly with the tweezers as we haven't pressed it on hard yet

CIMG3609.jpg

Ok now its changing at 11.58pm, close but id rather it changed AFTER 12am not before so try again

CIMG3610.jpg

Move the minute hand to 12am and try again

CIMG3611.jpg

Still changing at 11.58pm, try again

CIMG3612.jpg

Argh, now 12.04am but its pretty close

CIMG3613.jpg

A few tries later, Bingo, changes at 12am!

CIMG3614.jpg

Time for some dinner, don't go away

CIMG3615.jpg

Ok back to the movement, now the minute hand is in the correct position and the date is changing properly, we need to make sure its pressed in place. So again using the lint paper and the hand press

CIMG3616.jpg

Place the lint paper on the dial and press using the hand press, this is exactly the same procedure as for the hour hand pressing

CIMG3617.jpg

Now the minute hand is pressed in place. NOTE: I haven't should it in the pics but you need to make sure that the minute hand is press on horizontally (when looking from the side of the movement). If its not pressed on horizontally then it may touch the hour hand or touch the second hand and stop the movement from working and damaging the hands!

CIMG3618.jpg

RWGadmin

Now for the second hand, youll need this: not sure of the correct word but I also call it a hand press tool

CIMG3619.jpg

Use the end of the tool

CIMG3620.jpg

Using plastic tweezers, set the second hand in place: NOTE the movement still needs to be in the time setting position as its not running at this time

CIMG3621.jpg

Use the hand press tool and press EVEN FIRM pressure on the second hand, not too hard

CIMG3622.jpg

Easy

CIMG3623.jpg

Just checking now that the second hand doesn't touch the minute hand

CIMG3624.jpg

Looking good

CIMG3625.jpg

OK!

CIMG3626.jpg

We are now getting ready to put it all back in the case, so blow off any dust!

CIMG3627.jpg

Hmm, I kind of jumped a little fast there and didn't take a pic of how to install the movement in the case. Ok I hold the movement in one hand, using my fingers on the back of the movement, then hold the case in the other hand and simply put the movement in the case and then turn it over, hope you can understand, its pretty easy

CIMG3628.jpg

Movement holder

CIMG3629.jpg

Here you can see the notch for the stem, align it up with the stem before putting it in

CIMG3630.jpg

And set it in place, don't worry if it wont set in the correct place, sometimes these need a little force to set in the correct position

CIMG3631.jpg

Using a screwdriver to set the holder in the correct place

CIMG3632.jpg

Now its good

CIMG3633.jpg

Here is our next challenge, the stems of the 2 movement are different, very slightly, but unfortunately the original stem doesn't work in the new DG4813 movement. That's ok no big deal we just need to use the DG4813 stem!

CIMG3634.jpg

For this youll need some pliers!

CIMG3635.jpg

Hold the stem with pliers like this

CIMG3636.jpg

Using your other hand turn the crown to unscrew it from the stem. WARNING: DO THIS VERY GENTLY, IT SHOULD UNSCREW BUT IF IT DOESN'T UNSCREW AND YOU ARE USING FORCE TO TRY AND UNSCREW IT THEN YOULL BREAK THE STEM OFF IN THE CROWN AND THEN YOUR SHAFTED!. IF ITS DIFFICULT TO UNSCREW THEN I JUST GO TO MY GAS STOVE AND HEAT IT UP A BIT, THIS WILL LOOSEN OR MELT THE GLUE/EXPOXY USED TO KEEP IT PLACE AND IT SHOULD UNSCREW EASILY

CIMG3637.jpg

Done

CIMG3638.jpg

RWGadmin

Here is the DG4813 stem, we need to remove the plastic crown

CIMG3639.jpg

Same as above use pliers

CIMG3640.jpg

Its off

CIMG3641.jpg

Here are the 2 stems, see the difference in length

CIMG3642.jpg

OK here is my method, it works for me so I think its good. This method is good as it always cuts the stem slightly longer as what you want, a too short stem and your up shot creek without a paddle! OK align the 2 stems like the pic

CIMG3643.jpg

Now just use your other hand to hold them, make sure the stems haven't moved or changed position

CIMG3644.jpg

Using pliers grip the longer stem at a point just slightly longer than the old stem. In this pic there is a gap between the pliers and the old stem, meaning that im going to cut the new stem slightly longer than needed

CIMG3645.jpg

Let go of the old stem and get another pair of pliers and hold the new stem

CIMG3646.jpg

BREAK!

CIMG3647.jpg

Now get the crown and screw it on

CIMG3648.jpg

Again hold the stem with the pliers and turn the crown with your fingers to screw it on tightly

CIMG3649.jpg

Ready to back in the movement

CIMG3650.jpg

In she goes!

CIMG3651.jpg

All the way until it clicks

CIMG3652.jpg

Crown screwed down tightly and its not in all the way, Problem? Stem too long. Solution? File the stem shorter!

CIMG3653.jpg

So remove the stem by pressing the stem release button, I have covered how to do this previously

CIMG3654.jpg

Hold it with the pliers and unscrew the crown

CIMG3655.jpg

Youll need a small file for this job!

CIMG3656.jpg

Hold the stem in 1 hand and file with the other, only do it bit by bit, you don't want the stem too short

CIMG3657.jpg

Ok after several attempts, it all back together and the crown is sitting nicely

CIMG3658.jpg

Nice and close, good!

CIMG3659.jpg

Ok now unscrew the crown and lets get ready to put the movement screws back in

CIMG3660.jpg

Here they are

CIMG3661.jpg

RWGadmin

1 goes here

CIMG3662.jpg

The other here

CIMG3663.jpg

Here is the rotor, and its going to be greased!

CIMG3664.jpg

Remove the screw in the middle

CIMG3665.jpg

Off it comes!

CIMG3666.jpg

Here the grease, another member gave me this for sealing case back etc, im not sure what kind of grease it is but it works

CIMG3667.jpg

Use a pin to apply itCIMG3668.jpg

Some on the end of the pin

CIMG3669.jpg

Try and pit it in the rotor bearings

CIMG3670.jpg

Here is a close up, not pretty but it works

CIMG3671.jpg

Then wipe clean, I just used a cotton bud

CIMG3672.jpg

Rotor back on

CIMG3673.jpg

Then the screw

CIMG3674.jpg

Now the rubber seal, this can be greased too

CIMG3675.jpg

Case back

CIMG3676.jpg

Tighten

CIMG3677.jpg

To tighten hold the watch face down in your hand and tighten

CIMG3678.jpg

Reattach the bracelet

CIMG3679.jpg

We are finished! A few different angle shots

CIMG3680.jpg

CIMG3681.jpg

CIMG3682.jpg

CIMG3683.jpg

CIMG3684.jpg

RWGadmin

A couple of caveats as pointed out by PrestigeWatchCo and KBH in the original version of this thread:

PWC: Try it with a 4813 from Ofrie or Cousins and it won't fit and the crown stem will be off center and the cannon too short.

This is the hard to get at the moment 4813 with tall cannon so unless you have one of these only a 2813 will fit

KBH: Robert is correct on this. You do have to make sure you get the movement with the tall canon pin. These movements are currently available from Eurotimez, among others, for those that are looking. But, this tute is invaluable for the rookie trying to change his first movement. Even if you're replacing a defective A21j with a similar one, 95% of this still applies.

Tressles61

You guys are Hall Of Famers in my book. This is just what I was looking for and wanting to do. Guess I'll be sending my Ofries 4813 back and getting one from Eurotimez.

coolin

was looking for a tut to change hands this seemed to do the trick now jut have to find the right tools for the job

col

MarkA
A couple of caveats as pointed out by PrestigeWatchCo and KBH in the original version of this thread: PWC: Try it with a 4813 from Ofrie or Cousins and it won't fit and the crown stem will be off center and the cannon too short. This is the hard to get at the moment 4813 with tall cannon so unless you have one of these only a 2813 will fit KBH: Robert is correct on this. You do have to make sure you get the movement with the tall canon pin. These movements are currently available from Eurotimez, among others, for those that are looking. But, this tute is invaluable for the rookie trying to change his first movement. Even if you're replacing a defective A21j with a similar one, 95% of this still applies.

So this would work with a 2813 from Cousins? Eurotimez seems not to exist any more...

Luthier

This tuto reminds me Kenny's unpacking videos...

:rofl: