Sign in to follow this  
TheSav

Breitling Super Avenger - a layman's review

TheSav

I bought this Brietling Super Avenger white dial with batons from Toro and I have to say, I FUCKING LOVE IT!! Well that's my layman review. Hope you enjoyed it.

DSC_0335_zps7b1b9dac.jpg

Ok I will give a proper layman's review. I am not going to compare this to the gen as to be honest I know fuck all about it and don't have the experience. What I will do is give MY impressions of this watch. Please excuse my photography skills. I hope you enjoy it anyway. :)

Firstly, I will say that it is huge. At 48mm by 18mm this is not a watch for the wristically, (yes I made that up), challenged. This is a MAN'S watch. When I unwrapped the package and held it in my hand it reminded me of picking up my dad's watch as a kid. It feels big. But in saying that it wears quite well on my 7.5 inch wrist and isn't as heavy as I thought it would be. I think the AP's are heavier.

DSC_0353_zps5a6e7407.jpg

Being that it has a polished bracelet and case it is a bit "blingy". Keeping it free of finger prints will drive me nuts. I am sure I will go through a few cape cod cloths on it as well to keep the scratches at bay. The bracelet is quite solid and comfortable in my opinion. No sharp bits like some watches I've had. The etching on the clasp looks good to me but I bet probably not as good as a gen, But as mentioned, I care not for that. The bracelet is easy to rezise but be careful with the screws when doing so. They are bloody tiny. I can't see why they would use 2 different sizes either. The screws on the end of the bracelet are slightly bigger than the others. It is a little stiff like most rep bracelets I have had but nothing a quick spa treatment won't solve I am sure.

DSC_0338_zpsd0fad8fb.jpg

DSC_0346_zpsa70f3c49.jpg

What about the case back I hear you ask. Oh, you didn't ask. Well too bad as I will tell you about it anyway. Not that there is much to tell The etching seems quite shallow compared to some watches I have had but at least there are no spelling mistakes. Not like the challengs on some of the 332's.

DSC_0337_zps78325cf1.jpg

Onto the dial and bezel. I love the white dial and batons on this watch. I was worried initially about the batons not being parallel but upon scrutinizing the dial with my loupe, courtesy of the RWG shop tool kit, I can see that they are in fact in line. What I can see is that some of the indices are closer together than others. I don't think anyone would see this with the naked eye. Except for maybe superman. The pearl is well placed and freaks me out a little as it seems like it follows you when you look at it. If you tilt the watch it is like it is off center even though it is not. The all important date window looks good too. Once again it may not be as per gen with the font or depth but I say again, what would I fucking know? I am but a layman. To me it looks good and the date is well centered which is my main concern. The bezel is firm and has no play which I am happy with too. :)

5fda71a1-09fa-412a-9bb6-41f6dbd0697b_zpsfbaef6dc.jpg

DSC_0343_zpscac65917.jpg

The movement in this is a 7750 . Although the rotor is a little noisy, which I have found with all my 7750. It seems to run well and started up with a quick swirl. The chrono works as it should with a solid click when you depress the buttons. Date change was easy as was setting the time. The crown also screws down easily as well as the positions being easy to find.

I am very happy I bought this watch. It is one of my most expensive purchases so far at $328 but well worth the spend in my opinion. The watch feels solid, looks good and is putting a smile on my dial.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. :)

This is the link for anyone who is interested in purchasing it - http://www.torobravo...&product_id=403

Edit: a lume shot

DSC_0165_zpsf32a8d66.jpg

Corv99

Nice! Enjoy it....

Love SA s

onionbag

Congrats. :clap:

Nicely written up............tho' I have to say, you're no RolexRudy. ;)

Takken

Looks good, only one thing I spotted... It may be a optical illussion - the wings seems to be off.

Nice watch.

TheSav

I forgot to add a detail which surprised me. With factories making stupid mistakes like misspelling simple words to fucking up the arrow on the TAG's g, they did add the Brietling B to the edge of the bezel on this one. Pretty cool I thought.

DSC_0357_zpse3df6de0.jpg

scorpion

Nice looking watch - love the white dial version. I have a blue with 48mm case and though big it wears well.

You need to let your spider out, he looks a bit cramped in that case and hate to say it but its a bit ugly :giggle:

TheSav

Nice looking watch - love the white dial version. I have a blue with 48mm case and though big it wears well.

You need to let your spider out, he looks a bit cramped in that case and hate to say it but its a bit ugly :giggle:

It was your blue version that sold me on the super avenger scorp. So thanks :)

scorpion

It was your blue version that sold me on the super avenger scorp. So thanks :)

Really - thats good to hear. I love mine but its a real mystery model, most likely a fantasy one as its not really a SA when you look close but I am not bothered as it looks sweet.I even put a better bracelet on it the other week. I have a standard Avenger on order right now with a white face and numbers. A mini brother of your one!

Breitling (6).jpg

Visioneer

Nice SA. I was torn between the SA and Skyland now it looks like I'll have to get both. My wrist are 7.2 that could be my decision maker.

Odyseus

Don't forget if you are really keen, you can buy genuine dial, bezel and bracelet on ebay and are simple swaps. There was a seller of genuine Breitling 7750's and hands over on RWI.

When I had one, I fitted a genuine dial & bezel and re-lumed the rep hands, it's certainly a monster of a watch !!

t0ny

great looking watch & great review!!

is this the version that has 2016 as the manufactured date?

JaceyBoy

Ive got this with blue face, love it!!

dossman50

creep owning a spider stuffed

TheSav

I rather he be in a box and stuffed than crawling around on my ceiling. :)

Steve36

Nice review - thanks for that - awesome watcg

Dumspiro

Nice review and cool watch.

I just cannot find any love for those steel bezels

Rolexrudy
Congrats. :clap:

Nicely written up............tho' I have to say, you're no RolexRudy. ;)

Onion I'm deciding on the new noobmariner sub-c or a SA with cocaine white dial to match my SOSF.

LightGeek

Wow! Some of the indices look too close together :giggle:

TheSav
Wow! Some of the indices look too close together :giggle:
I can live with it.

JW8

Put an order in for one over a week ago, going crazy waiting. LOL. I'll be happy just to receive my QC pics at the moment. :lol:

gareth

Enjoyed the review exactly the same version I went for :D

Scompx1

Lookin good

TheSav

Thanks guys. It's a great rep Gareth. I'm sure you'll love it.

Onyx68

Got the same one from PerfectClones. Just loving it! Nice heavy watch.

nofitstate

Nice watch, this has got to be next on my list to get.