TheSav

AP Silver Themes/Panda - A Layman's Review

TheSav

In keeping with the title, I thought I would give my impressions on my new acquisition -

The Audemars Piguet Silver Themes.

DSC_0457_zps5d3ebb1e.jpg

Ever since seeing this watch I have lusted after it. The black sub-dials on the white face, the red hands and rehaut markings really caught my eye.

This watch looks great in photos but even better in person. The contrast between the polished and brushed surfaces is quite eye catching and really plays in the sunlight.

For those that don't know, it has a 7750 movement. I have quite a few 7750's and have yet to have a problem with them. This one, like my others, seems to be keeping good time and runs well. You can hear the rotor if you put your ear to it but it's very faint.

The dial on this watch is gorgeous. The contrast makes it stand out but not in an in your face sort of way. All the numbers are straight and the chrono hands line up perfectly to 12. Some can be a poofteenth off but this one is spot on. I know that the date window is incorrectly placed but to be honest I don't care. It looks fine as it is placed the same distance from the edge as the numerals on the dial. IMO it looks better than the gen.

Keeping on with the front of the watch the only fault I can find is the with the bezel. At 6 o'clock it is a fraction out of alignment. Probably .5 of a millimetre which is of no concern what so ever but after staring at the watch for so long I noticed. I'd say it's probably just the shaping of the bezel that is slightly out as 3,9 and 12 are spot on. I won't lose sleep over it as I saved almost $20000 compared to a gen one. :)

DSC_0460_zpsaaf38b3b.jpg

DSC_0461_zps3a15a08d.jpg

Like any AP on a bracelet this thing is heavy. However, it is very comfortable. At least I think so. The bracelet is huge from the factory. I had to remove 4 links for my 7.5 inch wrist. So it would probably fit an 8 inch wrist, but don't take my word on that. Bracelet re-sizing is probably one of the easiest on any watch. Just remove one screw from the side of each link. Not fiddly at all. Unlike the bracelet on my Super Avenger. The bracelet itself is a thing of beauty. I have always liked the link design on the AP bracelets. The finish on this rep bracelet is very good. I lucked out again I guess as there are no sharp edges anywhere. It wears very well and has a nice finish.

DSC_0464_zps26508cd1.jpg

The clasp is my only bone of contention on this watch. It closes firmly but is a pain to open as it is very stiff. I almost feel as if i will break it or bend the pins when I try to open it. I'm sure it will be fine and hope that it will stand the test of time so long as I am careful with it.

DSC_0465_zpsdee1aac3.jpg

The crown is easy to operate as are the date and time adjustment positions. Some watches can be fiddly to find the date change position but not this one. It has a positive click to let you know you found it. No guess work involved. If anything, the crown stem feels a little loose. But again, $20k saved. Who am I to complain? I know if i am careful that it will be fine.

DSC_0463_zps77e29264.jpg

The case back is probably one of the most simple looking compared to some watches. There is not much to say about it really. It's just a CB after all.

DSC_0466_zps4f0e2d96.jpg

I really, really like this watch a lot. I know there are more sought after models but this one does it for me. I have a beautiful strap made by Serge on its way for it and am looking forward to having the choice of leather and the bracelet. Being my newest acquisition it is of course my new favourite. I have a feeling that it will be my favourite for some time however and know that it will get a lot of wrist time.

I'll finish off with a couple of more pics for your viewing pleasure.

DSC_0467_zps75ca7974.jpg

DSC_0468_zps39f47e47.jpg

For anyone that is interested in this watch here is the link from which I bought it from - http://www.ttw888.co...roducts_id=5720 But most of of our trusted dealers will be able to source it for you .

Thanks for looking. :)

TT88

Great photos mate. Pandas are keepers imho. Thanks for sharing.

Well it well.

Sent from my Bezel using 116610

flyr

Great photos of a really nice watch! Very informative narration job. Thanks for the review!

TheSav

Thanks for the comments on my pics. It's amazing what a $35 light box can help you achieve. :) still a long ways off from the masters of photography here but I'll keep practising :)

James.

Nice write up and pics, those light boxes are a win. Good looking watch, we should organize another Sydney gtg in a few months and swap a whole bunch of AP's!

RussP

Great write-up Chris !!

Lovely pics too.

Isn't this hobby addictive ?????????

I've acquired 20+ watches in the time I've been a member on RWG et al.

Soon, like the others on this forum, I'll have to start 'clearing the watch boxes'............. :Whistle:

rlx101

Stunning watch mate. I've not worn another since I got mine a few weeks ago. Got mine on rubber, which sets off the dial amazingly. Bracelet (I have too) is my next challenge!

Seems like the next Sydney GTG will be a Panda-fest!!!

Cannot recommend this watch highly enough. Surpassed every expectation. BUY BUY BUY!!!

TheSav
Nice write up and pics, those light boxes are a win. Good looking watch, we should organize another Sydney gtg in a few months and swap a whole bunch of AP's!

I had to buy a light box after you mentioned yours. Gotta keep up with the jones after all. Mine was a whole $4.66 cheaper than the link you gave me so should that GTG eventuate I'll use those savings to buy you the first beer. At that price it will have to be a middie though.

Great write-up Chris !!

Lovely pics too.

Isn't this hobby addictive ?????????

I've acquired 20+ watches in the time I've been a member on RWG et al.

Soon, like the others on this forum, I'll have to start 'clearing the watch boxes'............. :Whistle:

You're not wrong Russ. It's worse than crack. That's why their called "trusted dealers".

Stunning watch mate. I've not worn another since I got mine a few weeks ago. Got mine on rubber, which sets off the dial amazingly. Bracelet (I have too) is my next challenge!

Seems like the next Sydney GTG will be a Panda-fest!!!

Cannot recommend this watch highly enough. Surpassed every expectation. BUY BUY BUY!!!

Out of curiosity I tried it on the rubber strap from my diver this morning. I didn't like it to be honest. But each to his own. :)

James.

Haha damn inflation! In all seriousness, ill get the ball rolling on another gtg once 30 June buggers off. Ill make a concerted effort to NOT but this panda, ill get the Montauk instead, so we can have a bit of variety to share around :lol:

flight89

Nice pictures!

jeffw69

Thanks for a great review and excellent pics!

I really like it on the bracelet. Enjoy!

Corv99

Dogs bollox that watch..

Looks great on bracelet too

Serge D

This one is soooo on my list. Its the only watch i want to get next so far.

Dumspiro

Really nice review and some great pics.

I agree on the clasp; I got a bracelet for my black themes and it needs a release catch like a Superocean or JLC NSD....not sure whether gen has though.

I have been waiting for mine for 6 weeks from Mary & Rochest; a dodgy crown stem needed replacing once they checked it.....

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

top informative review...... Thank you...

Panda is on my list for next week..... form Andrew now probably...... just waiting to see my first order from him arrive next week before I push the button

wwicka

wanna sell it ?

jpohl402

Nice photography skills, good background and lighting choices.

vik2001

Been tryimg hard to find this watch no kne has it

mmaibl2011

Ive got to be honest.. I think the AP panda color scheme is my new favorite.

Netrom

Does anyone know where to get this watch, cant find any dealers?