Sign in to follow this  
myaz

Changing the battery in a Chanel J12: how to save $43.

myaz

I gave a Chanel J12 to a sister-in-law a while back and the battery went dead. She knew it was a rep and knew better than to waltz into an AD store. Instead, she went to the local watch shop in Reston, Virginia.

“Oh, you have a Chanel, nice, no problem, we change the battery for $50”

WTF? $50? You must think this watch is a frikkin Chanel, how much if it had been a Patek? Before you yell, some Pateks do come with batteries.

She knew she was getting ready to visit here and she brought the watch to me. Imagine that, Walmart had that battery for $7 and I had a small screwdriver.

Here’s that same battery on Amazon for $1.99 with free shipping….but no time for Amazon, she’s only here for 3 days…..I could have saved her $48.01.

http://www.amazon.com/Renata-Button-Cell-watch-battery/dp/B001C1FZR4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369516368&sr=8-3&keywords=watch+batteries+362

Here’s how that works out if all you possess is 1 (one) small screwdriver and the most minimal of watch skills.

MLTIMG001_zpse096bfdd.jpg

DSCF9404_zpsf53568f3.jpg

onionbag

Many, many, repair places will rip you off over this simple job.................tho' I've no issue being charged £10-£15 for this as a mall guy has an earning to make. Sometimes I can't be arsed doing the job......especially on my wife's Longines Golden Wing..........that caseback is a bugger to shift.

:clap:

Indigo38

did you have to do anything after you inserted the new battery?

i heard you need to short something to reset it?

myaz

In this case, battery went in, started immediately.

g.man

Good pics.

g.man

myaz

Many, many, repair places will rip you off over this simple job.................tho' I've no issue being charged £10-£15 for this as a mall guy has an earning to make. Sometimes I can't be arsed doing the job......especially on my wife's Longines Golden Wing..........that caseback is a bugger to shift.

Agreed, $10-15, even £10-£15 is not bad when one is busy or not inclined and I fully agree they do need to earn a living. I'm also always worried I'll gouge the case back popping it off with a screwdriver, then I saw someone do it in a few seconds with a straight razor blade leaving no scratches. Didn't slice her finger off either. No scratching/gouging possibilities with the Chanel as nothing needs to be pried off.

skyfar

Thank you for such a helpful topic! I will definitely refer to this when it comes time to change batteries in my J12. =)

Dendo

These watches are notorious for slipping minute hands - I had two examples of this, this week. I am not sure why this is so.

Also removing the stem is not simple. You need to pull the crown out to the date setting position and then press down on the then exposed nodule. The nodule is only viewable with the crown in the date setting mode. In myaz's excellent last picture it is a little up and to the left of the numeral '1' imprinted on the movement block.

I am still mystified why the hands are an issue and stick frequently during running and time setting. There is no steric hindrance. It might be the keyless works or the time setting gears? - do quartz watches even have keyless works??

Cynikal.Mindset

I buy batteries at the dollar store, 5 for $1.50

RussP

AUD $50 is about average for a Swiss Watch battery Down Under.

AUD $20 to $45 if it is a Jap Quartz movement.

Yes..............they have to make a living too.

Russ.

narikaa

Any of you philanthropic battery buyers got the steam to buy a bridge spanning the Thames?

;)

Mechwarrior

REG IS BACK!!

edwinowl

Welcome back Reg lad.

Craig Stephens

Shouldn't the movement be swiss? I didn't read where the J12 was a replica.

Just asking.

stevok2305

Got a gen Omega constellation. Took it into AD for new battery. £40 later working as usual. 4 days later watch stops. Took b it back to AD. 'Oh. You'll need to have it serviced then as it can't be the battery that failed' ' How much?' says I. '£85' they reply!! Sod that for a lark. Went to a little jeweler round the corner. He swapped the v battery, refused to charge me and its still going 2 years later

scorpion

Weird it says NO Jewles?

My wifes Chanel J12 was supplied by Reg and its got a Swiss 35 Jewlel Quartz movement in it with a 20 year battery life.

1%20laught.gif

Craig Stephens

Breitling.... that's because the genuine takes a lithium battery and is a Swiss movement. (I believe) :)

Edited by Craig Stephens