Sign in to follow this  
mitchbaria

Advice for Noobs Concerning 1st orders

mitchbaria

I've noticed a problem across the boards that occurs with many new members making first time orders...I understand that many people come to the forums to gain knowledge for purchasing a replica watch and discover the trusted dealers through stumbling into their section or posting a "where to buy the best replica?" question, either way inevitably a lot of new members wind up using the TD'S(Trusted dealers) for their first replica purchase without doing proper research prior to making their order, this can be a recipe for disaster for the new member and the dealer....I'm writing this post not to discourage new members from ordering but rather to help them to know what to expect and hopefully avoid compromising situations for the new member as well as the dealer...

1. After your order is made and you've accepted your QC(quality control) pictures, have patience! Your watch will arrive. There's no need to get jumpy just because the tracking number isn't working and there is not a set time limit on a watch being mailed from another country. It is unacceptable behavior here, or any of the forums to file a paypal dispute because you haven't received your watch in the timeframe that you set. You do not need Paypal to protect you from our dealers, that is why they are considered TRUSTED. So forget any kind of PayPal deadline!

2. When your watch arrives there is no guaranty that the watch will have survived through the abuse that can happen while it's in transit, so please DO NOT PANIC if your watch has a problem, however unlikely, it happens. This does not mean that the dealer you chose is a crook or a scammer, it just means that a delicate piece of machinery was abused by a careless postal worker. This is where many new guys go wrong! This kind of thing while unfortunate is NOT unlikely, in fact it's quite frequent and to be expected. If you stay with this hobby you will find yourself in this predicament occasionally! When I receive a replica many times the first thing I do is send it to a trusted watch smith to be serviced and cleaned and sometimes to be repaired. These watches are assembled in unacceptable conditions many times, therefore it expected that there could be loose screws, debris in the movement and a whole battery of things that can affect the workings of something so delicate and temperamental. I'm not saying that your going to receive a broken watch, what I am saying is that it can happen and if your luck is like mine, go ahead and plan for it! On the other hand you could just as easily receive a watch that will last, as-is, forever, so here are your options in the event of being faced with receiving a dead on or shortly after arrival watch:

Option one: contact the dealer and be prepared to return the watch to China AT YOUR EXPENSE and wait for the dealer to repair or replace the watch and return it to you.(the return shipping will be paid by the dealer),,,,Remember the TD's buy the watches from the factory, they do not build them. That means that they are losing money by fixing what a careless postal worker damaged and they're doing it for free because they are good people and value our business.

Option2: Take or send the watch to your own watch smith and have it repaired and/or serviced at your expense.

Option3:before any other actions are taken contact a moderator for assistance and follow their instructions to the letter, PERIOD! Once you've requested the assistance of a moderator DO ONLY WHAT YOUR TOLD no more, no less.

Now me personally I always go for option2, always! What I have done in the past with a dealer that I have a long standing relationship with is to notify him of the condition of the watch immediately upon receiving the DOA watch and request that he discount my next purchase to help cover the cost of the repairs and of coarse forward him a copy of the receipt from the watch smith and a letter with the repairman's email and telephone number so the dealer can contact him if he wished to do so. This was pretty easy to negotiate and my dealer was very glad I mentioned this.

Here's the things that you shouldn't do in the event that your not satisfied with your purchase.:

1. File a or threaten to file a PAYPAL dispute. EVER! This hurts us all and is totally unacceptable. Please consider that your not the only one dealing with this person and by doing this you could cost a lot of people(other then the dealer) a lot of time and money.

2. Post negative statements or pictures in a open thread.

3. Discuss any of this in public. It is between your dealer, you and a moderator if need be.

When things go wrong take a deep breathe and act with a calm head and tongue. These dealers are here to make money and because of that it is in their interest to maintain satisfied clients but they should not and will not be abused by a single member that doesn't care about us or them.

Remember: the dealers, the admin, the moderators and all of your fellow forum members all wish you success and happiness in this wonderful hobby...

Edited by mitchbaria

black263

I have to say, that I am not too sure his holiness would be able to assist even if you did file one.

Quote "It is unacceptable behavior here, or any of the forums to file a papal dispute because you haven't received your watch in the timeframe that you set."

flyr

Excellent post Mitch! Now we just have to find a foolproof way to get people to read this :stars:

mitchbaria

Isn't that the whole problem to start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebaron

I have to say, that I am not too sure his holiness would be able to assist even if you did file one.

Quote "It is unacceptable behavior here, or any of the forums to file a papal dispute because you haven't received your watch in the timeframe that you set."

Say hi to our newest moderator

9dI8v6L.jpg

black263

So which watch does the pope wear?

jboshey

PAM...of course.

Rafo67

Benedict XVI ------------> "Erhard Junghans Tempus Automatic".

Realism

don't think this one has been seen wearing any yet... but popes of the past been known to like pateks

Scottie

Well said. Maybe one way of getting Newbies to read this would be to entitle it "Noobs, read this post and get your first watch FREE!!!" At the end, simple state that this was done to protect them, the TD's and the forum. I bet more will read it then LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my two penny's....

SSTEEL

Welcome done Mitch, sticky worthy?

the deacon

Very good advice mate,wish i'd seen something like as a newbie before ordering my first rep.

i briefly looked on here,took the td link and ordered a po ceramic from josh.

a couple of littles issues,out of stock and wrong watch in qc pics had me a little worried and i probably asked too many questions after paying but always got a polite and fast response from him.

anyway ,watch turned up today and i'm gobsmacked at the quality of it.

don't panic,i'll leave a review in the correct section when i have time.

i will be ordering another from him and just let the whole process unfold without bothering him at all!!

Eadesy

Great post! This should be given to all noobs upon joining the forum.

I think it would clear a few problems straight away!

thedoc73

Hi guys.. I'm a newbie awaiting delivery of v3.5 AP diver. I totally agree with the protocol with reps. I'm based in London UK and would love to hear anyone's recs on a rep friendly watchmaker in the UK. Even after spending almost $550 I'm happy to take the watch in for a light service, greasing and pressure test etc. as soon as it arrives.

I just don't want any aggro when I mention its a replica... I'm thinking intime@debenhams for example?

Thanks in advance.

NFleischer

Thank you, very solid advice!

Boycie

If you want people to read it, perhaps you should have titled it "where to find the best submariner".............:)

Great post and solid advice Mitch.

wdev

Good post sir, stickyworthy indeed.

mitchbaria
Hi guys.. I'm a newbie awaiting delivery of v3.5 AP diver. I totally agree with the protocol with reps. I'm based in London UK and would love to hear anyone's recs on a rep friendly watchmaker in the UK. Even after spending almost $550 I'm happy to take the watch in for a light service, greasing and pressure test etc. as soon as it arrives.

I just don't want any aggro when I mention its a replica... I'm thinking intime@debenhams for example?

Thanks in advance.

Here's the thing with reps and watchsmiths, 90% of them appreciate the watch for what it is and could care less about the brand name on the dial....now that being said, I wouldn't be to quick to walk into my nearest fine jewelry store or A.D. wearing a rep of the newest watch they sell asking them to fix a detached rotor or throw a gen crystal in,,,lol....but by being just a little savvy it's pretty simple to find a local guy that will love you stopping buy with a really cool rep and thirty or forty bucks for a quick task from time to time, in fact I'm on such good terms with my local guy that he calls me every now and then to enquire if I've added any real cool reps to my collection recently....

thedoc73

Thanks in advance.

Here's the thing with reps and watchsmiths, 90% of them appreciate the watch for what it is and could care less about the brand name on the dial....now that being said, I wouldn't be to quick to walk into my nearest fine jewelry store or A.D. wearing a rep of the newest watch they sell asking them to fix a detached rotor or throw a gen crystal in,,,lol....but by being just a little savvy it's pretty simple to find a local guy that will love you stopping buy with a really cool rep and thirty or forty bucks for a quick task from time to time, in fact I'm on such good terms with my local guy that he calls me every now and then to enquire if I've added any real cool reps to my collection recently....

Haha yeah I wouldnt be strolling into an A.P ad with it. Timpsons is a good start in the UK, i will pop in tomorrow and have a quick chat!

RichardMiami

Thanks in advance.

This is 100% true. My local watchsmith has BOUGHT reps from our TDs through me. Just search around and be NICE* about it.

*nice - a term meaning (in this context) polite, easy to deal with, not demanding, and paying with a smile.

alange

Well, as a new member here I found this post very relevant :D

And as you identified, I have indeed (like many others, I'm sure) found this forum and gone straight to the trusted dealers list to purchase a watch.

Thanks to this post and others on the forum I am keeping a cool head regarding delivery times etc. As it was my first experience with a rep and a TD I didn't venture more £ than I could afford to lose, anyway.

+1 for stickiness btw, useful post.

SeptemberSun

Great post. I'd also like to add that if $300 is the end of the world to you, then you shouldn't spend it on contraband merchandise being assembled in China and then sent half-way around the world. There's more than a chance of that money being sunk. Some of the over-the-top threads I've seen give me the impression that someone's life savings has gone up in flames in a broken PAM. So, I guess, spend within your budget and like stocks and other speculation, be prepared for that money to be gone if something goes awry...

alange

Ha.

Because of the large number of UK members here I might as well ask; does anyone know a rep-friendly UK watchsmith (preferably up north?)

Wing-Nut

First day, first post.

It would also help us if there were a Glossary Of Terms somewhere. I understand Noob as it relates to a person, but to a watch? Also, after reading posts for about the last two hours I finally saw what a TD was!!

Good information all around. Looking forward to learning more.

SeptemberSun

Search and you shall find