Sign in to follow this  
submarinerblue

Why This Hobby Just Isn't For Me

submarinerblue

I got my first rep (a submariner) in China a few months ago. This got me interested in higher quality reps and led me to RWG where and I researched for many hours to find my next rep from a TD.

In the meantime, the crown on my origianl rep would not screw down any more. I contacted one of the "trusted" repair guys. He wrote back that he could fix it, but I WOULD HAVE TO SUPPLY THE PARTS MYSELF ( crown and "tube" for what is the most common rep). So, I've learned that if any rep I get breaks I can forget about getting it repaired unless I supply the parts, which I have no idea how to do. It's not like I'm a watchmaker and have a drawer full of rep parts. Is this a typical situation?

Well, I just received my first rep from China, a gold anniversary GMT. Ordered from a TD (whose web site seems to have changed...can't find it.)

Just one small problem: the safety clasp popped off after the second or third time I used it. I finally got it back on, but it just popped off again. I tried squeezing the clasp tighter after I got it on again. Worked fine for a couple of operations then the spring pin went flying through the air as it popped off again. I'm not a watch maker and I don't have the knowledge or tools to fix it, if it can be fixed again. I sent an e-mail to the TD and we'll see what happens. I presume I'll have to send it back to China at my expense, wait months for it to be returned and hope that the next one isn't also defective..

One other thing. The dial is supposed to be green. It sort of looked that way in the QC pics (which I have no idea how to attach to this post). The actual dial is so dark that it sort of has a green tinge at a certain angle, but not what I expected. Still, a beautiful, if useless watch.

So, I don't think that I will be a rep collector. I just hope I can get a repalcement GMT that keeps accurate time and that doesn't have parts thatt fall off five minutes after I unwrap it.

LightGeek

Happens. Welcome to the rep world. It's unfortunate that you got the lemons out of the gate. Since I started in September, I probably have had 2-3 real lemons in a few dozen.

Hazz

you have just been unlucky, don't give up.

RichardMiami

bracelet repairs are very straightforward. Find a local watch guy in your area (NOT an authorized dealer of any swiss brand). He can usually fix the bracelet for you for $20 or less.

I have never seen a watch guy give a crap whether the bracelet was made in China, but if they balk, simply leave and find another watch guy. Repeat until satisfied.

FYI - once you find the right guy, and build a little bit of a relationship with him (you don't break balls or whine, you pay with a smile) the odds are that he will also do movement work for you.

welcome to our world!

Mechwarrior

we are all different. if you do not like reps, save money and buy a gen.

probably is better for you.................and you can post your gen pics here too ^_^

Edited by Mechwarrior

arancini

FYI - once you find the right guy, and build a little bit of a relationship with him (you don't break balls or whine, you pay with a smile) the odds are that he will also do movement work for you.

welcome to our world!

This.

Fair enough if you do decide to call it quits.

But there are some really good pieces out there that are more than well built and look spectacular.

Up to you though if you wish to persist to discover that for yourself.

gmchris

I too think you have been unlucky.

I think your post highlights the different mindset and expectations between watch collectors and watch enthusiasts.

I am guessing you are in the collector category, where you appreciate a nice watch but expect it to work and function day in day out., without faults or 'things you live with'. This is totally understandable, but may not be a suitable approach to reps ( although many reps do fulfill this is)

The enthusiasts category however, accepts or even enjoys the fact that their watch may sometimes need some coaxing into life, may be supplied on sub-standard straps, or have limited lifespan before repair or upgrade is required. I think most rep owners fall into this group, starting as collectors, then strap-swappers, then modders and home-repairers.

Please don't take te above as a criticism, you are allowed to expect a functioning useable and nice watch, but most here accept that bracelets are often crap, and would either have a tube repaired, or sell it for spares to fund a new rep.

Either way, if you love watches, you will find something new on your wrist before long. Maybe a luckier rep.

LightGeek
bracelet repairs are very straightforward. Find a local watch guy in your area (NOT an authorized dealer of any swiss brand). He can usually fix the bracelet for you for $20 or less.

I have never seen a watch guy give a crap whether the bracelet was made in China, but if they balk, simply leave and find another watch guy. Repeat until satisfied.

welcome to our world!

Or turn it into a real hobby by getting the RWG toolkit :)

mitchbaria

Also and I know this kind of advice sucks but the rep you get is usually as good as the research you put into it before you decide to buy it.... most reps are reviewed here by senior members also new reps are reviewed usually as a work in progress as they are being purchased..... there's really not a very good reason to have these kind of things happen,,,,,,bad luck is only about 20% of it....

Edited by mitchbaria

Chairman7w

Fair enough. See ya.

alange

^Ha.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience but just from looking around this forum you can see that they're very infrequent..

Motosanto

IMHO the secret is to get more than 1 or 2 reps. If you had 8-10 watches and 1 was bad you would most likely have a different opinion of the hobby. Go for it, research, revisit the TD's, repeat. This is the recipe for horological nirvana. GL and enjoy the journey!

Visioneer

For what it's worth, I almost wish I had the same experience as you with reps as I would be a couple grand richer by now. My brief time buying reps have been great. Smaill bezel problem with my Breitling watch is the only thing and reading the threads I knew it was a potential issues so I was prepared.

Get back on the horse you'll learn to love it and have less money and smile at the same time when wear one of your prize watches.

jeffrx

I have 16 reps and not one of them is bad. I've been lucky.

mitchbaria
For what it's worth, I almost wish I had the same experience as you with reps as I would be a couple grand richer by now. My brief time buying reps have been great. Smaill bezel problem with my Breitling watch is the only thing and reading the threads I knew it was a potential issues so I was prepared.

Get back on the horse you'll learn to love it and have less money and smile at the same time when wear one of your prize watches.

Oh your def screwed like the rest of us! Wait till you break one in hopes of performing your own mods.... trust me you've def got the bug,,,,, you've had it... I can tell,,,,lol

frogflyer

Bad luck is all. I'd try again, before hanging it up. We have all had bad experiences with reps, but I bet just as many have ran into issues with gens. Don't give up! ;)

Bash64

I have purchased 2 dozen or so with only 2 problems. 1 DOA and 1 chrono issue. All the rest have been great with no issues. I think you just got unlucky.

Visioneer

Oh your def screwed like the rest of us! Wait till you break one in hopes of performing your own mods.... trust me you've def got the bug,,,,, you've had it... I can tell,,,,lol

Hahaha...yes I'm screwed by the love of this hobby. I'm in a good place and having fun collecting this fine timepieces.

mitchbaria

"Hahaha...yes I'm screwed by the love of this hobby. I'm in a good place and having fun collecting this fine timepieces."

The number of noobs joining the boards, by judging from the welcome bot in the shout box, is unprecedented. Unfortunately many are not like you that first off, learn or care to learn that collecting replicas is a hobby, certainly not enough to develop a love for it. Secondly, do not consider this a good place and definitely are not planning to be here long enough to realize that people actually have fun here and thirdly, will never considering reps anything more then fake trinkets and do not know what a fine timepiece is let alone will ever have the class to appreciate one if they were ever actually lucky enough to get closer to one then the words on their lips that they probably can't pronounce properly and ultimately think a Rolex Submariner or Datejust is the most expensive watch ever made and have no idea how much they cost only "a lot! "........I'M SERIOUSLY WORRIED FOR OUR HOBBY and our dealers,,,,,ultimately something will have to be done to slow the hit and run noobs with their unreal expectations,,,,,,,,,,just my thoughts.

Visioneer

Hey Micthbaria - thanks for the kind words. I believe the rep world is safe and will outlast us all. The prices will go up and PayPal will eventually get a clue and shut up while pocketing the money from rep purchases.

The true blue members of this site will always love watches and continue buying while the nonbelievers will continue nonbelieving. At least that's my hope.

Zachthebaker

I have made a solid relationship with a great little watch shop in my town.. the guys are great and quite friendly to my reps. its gotten to the point where I buy one, bring it to him.. he makes it perfect... finishes all unfinished surfaces, makes everything line up correct.. and then I wear

Knackeringham

Great comments and advice from everyone here. Let's face it you can buy 30 reps for the price of one gen. Collector v enthusiast is the answer. Personally I'd rather go for the 30 reps. It's more fun.

Chrisby

I think that's the thing isn't it? As others have said, you start off a watch enthusiast but over time end up a collector. If any of my reps stop working for whatever reason, I'd be inclined to try and fix it myself following some of the fantastic advice found here (using the search function) :) and having purchased an rwg toolkit (soon) if I can't fix it or mess it up even more then, well lesson learned (I need to read more!)

There are plenty of people on here who may offer to sort it or even have some advice.

The beauty of this rep business is not only the fantastic reps you can own but also the community that you become part of.

In the end the choice is yours, take it or leave it

DR3M3L

I just had 1 problem in 29 orders from our TD's.. Don't give up mate!