Sign in to follow this  
wizzzard

Watch Watching...in Canary Wharf, London

wizzzard

I had a meeting in Canary Wharf this afternoon and used the tube to get there and back. For those who don't know, Canary Wharf is a financial district in London full of suits and traders who make silly amounts of money every day - the perfect place to see some of those crazy genuine watches.

So after the meeting, I get onto the tube and take a seat. Opposite me and nearby, I see a couple of gents wearing some wrist candy. The first opposite me, wears a G&H suit, Barker shoes, Hermes belt, Mulberry brief and Hermes Cuffs. Looking at his wrist, I immediately notice the blue hue of a Patek Nautilus.

The guy to my right looks very smart and rocks a Montblanc Timewalker Chrono (I think - def an MB though). Anyway, loads of people pack onto the train and as I am about to get off at my stop, I have to walk past the Patek guy. I walk past and feel have to comment and compliment the guy on owning such an expensive and lovely watch. I say, "Nice watch buddy". He turns to me, smiles, and says, "It's a replica!" I automatically assumed that with all the fancy bits he was wearing, he would buy a Gen watch. Just goes to show that even high earning trader folk like a rep or two.

I must say, the Patek looked amazing - might be the next buy.

Mechwarrior

Better say................"it's a replica" then get a knife in back :giggle:

SSTEEL

Exactly, out of comfort zone they will always state they are wearing a rep, even when wearing the real thing.

solkryssare

+1 Million.

patooo

I'm familiar with traders in the city and in my experience they'd NEVER says its a rep if its not.... There are always exceptions with people....but I find that these guys like to adopt a pose and 'balls it out' mirroring how the marketplace works... That's why they wear barker shoes, savile row suits, and normally very expensive watches.... That guy seems to be a bit more canny though, maybe you should have got his details and avail of his financial services lol

James.

Taking put of consideration the poor blokes fear of getting robbed, consider he was actually wearing a rep it just goes to show its the whole package that sells, not just a $30k watch in your tracky dacks.

Mazz

I used to deliver pizza and to prevent getting mugged when in the bad part of town when asked in the by random people on the street we used to tell them it was anchovies with extra anchovies worked all the time. Deception is the name of the game

Keijyin

Maybe it was all fake, suit, belt, etc...hehe!

Mystery Shopper

Canary Wharf. Wonder if it was Dal & Greenhat on the way to a pub lunch? :Thinking:

watchguysydney
I had a meeting in Canary Wharf this afternoon and used the tube to get there and back. For those who don't know, Canary Wharf is a financial district in London full of suits and traders who make silly amounts of money every day - the perfect place to see some of those crazy genuine watches.

So after the meeting, I get onto the tube and take a seat. Opposite me and nearby, I see a couple of gents wearing some wrist candy. The first opposite me, wears a G&H suit, Barker shoes, Hermes belt, Mulberry brief and Hermes Cuffs. Looking at his wrist, I immediately notice the blue hue of a Patek Nautilus.

The guy to my right looks very smart and rocks a Montblanc Timewalker Chrono (I think - def an MB though). Anyway, loads of people pack onto the train and as I am about to get off at my stop, I have to walk past the Patek guy. I walk past and feel have to comment and compliment the guy on owning such an expensive and lovely watch. I say, "Nice watch buddy". He turns to me, smiles, and says, "It's a replica!" I automatically assumed that with all the fancy bits he was wearing, he would buy a Gen watch. Just goes to show that even high earning trader folk like a rep or two.

Sounds really gay to me

And I'm really gay

Chiquita Fanjita

How could you tell it was a Gieves and Hawkes suit or Barker shoes? Was he flashing the inside of his jacket and soles of his shoes?

Wriggles

How could you tell it was a Gieves and Hawkes suit or Barker shoes? Was he flashing the inside of his jacket and soles of his shoes?

My thoughts exactly! Slight whiff of BS off this

Pharmo

I grew up in London and TBH in certain parts I would not even show that I had a watch on ;)

(like any big city)

Dr Yan

im impressed you were able to recognize the labels on his clothes......but i'm a bit let down that you didn't say what underpants and socks they were wearing!

jeffw69

I am going to resist my urges and NOT troll here. Pretty damn proud of myself, to be honest.

Dr Yan

I am going to resist my urges and NOT troll here. Pretty damn proud of myself, to be honest.

im am impressed immensely with your self control Jeff!!!!!

TheSav

New medication today ?

Chiquita Fanjita

I'm proud of you too mate, but got a feeling you may succumb :lol:

wizzzard

G&H ran a limited edition line in 2011 with the number '1' embroidered on the cuff... to signify the store number on Saville Row.

Barkers have their own lines/designs. If you have to ask the question, there's no point in trying to explain.

Cynicism and ignorance are a bad combo.

Troll on!

pilch23
G&H ran a limited edition line in 2011 with the number '1' embroidered on the cuff... to signify the store number on Saville Row.

Barkers have their own lines/designs. If you have to ask the question, there's no point in trying to explain.

Troll on!

10/10

Whilst I am a replica watch fan.....shoes I never avoid paying for quality and can identify most brands also

millionaire wannabe
im impressed you were able to recognize the labels on his clothes......but i'm a bit let down that you didn't say what underpants and socks they were wearing!

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLOLLOLLMAOLLLLLLLLLLLOFAO!!!!!!!!! :)

nunu78
I grew up in London and TBH in certain parts I would not even show that I had a watch on ;)

(like any big city)

+1 , as a colleague of mine was mugged at Tooting broadway for his Tag Calibre 36 rep quartz model.

Chiquita Fanjita

Troll on!

Holy necrobump Batman!

If your above quote was directed at my original post then, cynicism – yes, ignorance – no. With my father being a gentleman’s outfitter for 51 years, and even spending a brief period working on Savile (only one L) Row in the 70’s, I think some of his decades of bespoke tailoring knowledge have rubbed off.

With the exception of an embroidered “1” would there have been any way of knowing it was a Gieves & Hawkes suit without the inside breast label being visible? Granted, a bespoke suit is more prominent with its sharper cut and silhouette, making it stand out against off the peg suits. There are even slight “tells” of a certain tailors work, but to the normal “man in the street” these are not distinguishable, hence me merely asking the question.

In relation to footwear, I have to confess I’m more a Grenson type of man, but I will admit that a certain brand of shoe is more apparent by their style. My wife can spot a pair of Louboutins at 100 paces!

Baldrick

I remember that conversation........it was I on the tube that day.....and the reason I said it was a replica is because I never pass my reps off as gens.........honesty is the best policy :D

Oh.......and sorry to burst your bubble........but slightly wrong on the suit......not G&H.......but H.H. ;)

Chiquita Fanjita

Oh.......and sorry to burst your bubble........but slightly wrong on the suit......not G&H.......but H.H. ;)

Henry Huntsman or Helly Hansen :lol: