Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

The Magnum Power Products10Bar Water Resistance Tester $195

SSTEEL

Anyone have one of these?

Not that I want one, but wondering if anyone has experience of how accurate they are. They look cheap and nasty to me, but what do I know. Supposedly tests up to 10Bar, but watching the video demo on it, I'm not so sure.

Instead of putting pressure into the container, this jar & pump combination is a vacuum set up where the pump sucks out air in the chamber. Thus when at the required "Bar" setting on the small dial, lower the watch into the water, whilst still leaving the vacuum in the chamber. Then once watch lifted out of the water, the vacuum is released.

https://magnumpowerproducts.com/Public/Default.aspx

equipment_disassembled_200.jpg

trailboss99

My issue is that pressure inside a watch may not leak out in some situations where a higher pressure outside may leak in and visa versa. Seals are designed to prevent high pressure leaking in not out. For example this would not work with any watch fitted with a functioning HEV.

There is also the issue that if the leak is massive the pressure may have equalised before the watch is lowered into the water.

black263

Not that I want one, but wondering if anyone has experience of how accurate they are. They look cheap and nasty to me, but what do I know. Supposedly tests up to 10Bar, but watching the video demo on it, I'm not so sure.

Instead of putting pressure into the container, this jar & pump combination is a vacuum set up where the pump sucks out air in the chamber. Thus when at the required "Bar" setting on the small dial, lower the watch into the water, whilst still leaving the vacuum in the chamber. Then once watch lifted out of the water, the vacuum is released.

https://magnumpowerp...ic/Default.aspx

There are two fatal flaws here.

1.Lets imagine you are doing the test. Before doing so, remove the crown, so there is a bloody great hole in the watch. Now put it in the bottle and suck out the air to create a vacuum. Lower the watch into the water. Guess what - no bubbles because the air pressure inside the watch equalised with the air pressure in the bottle, indicating that the watch in this configuration is watertight. This would only work if there were tiny leaks in the watch, so that the pressure was still leaking out before the watch was submersed.

2. I would never subject a rep to high vacuum. If it were truly watertight, the pressure difference is trying to blow the crystal off, and would in most cases succeed. In most dry vacuum testers that I have come across, there is a 3 bar limit to try to stop this happening.

Edit. Trail boss beat me to it by a second or so. Bummox.

trailboss99

You said it better however :)

SSTEEL

My issue is that pressure inside a watch may not leak out in some situations where a higher pressure outside may leak in and visa versa. Seals are designed to prevent high pressure leaking in not out. For example this would not work with any watch fitted with a functioning HEV.

There is also the issue that if the leak is massive the pressure may have equalised before the watch is lowered into the water.

https://magnumpowerp...ic/Default.aspx

There are two fatal flaws here.

1.Lets imagine you are doing the test. Before doing so, remove the crown, so there is a bloody great hole in the watch. Now put it in the bottle and suck out the air to create a vacuum. Lower the watch into the water. Guess what - no bubbles because the air pressure inside the watch equalised with the air pressure in the bottle, indicating that the watch in this configuration is watertight. This would only work if there were tiny leaks in the watch, so that the pressure was still leaking out before the watch was submersed.

2. I would never subject a rep to high vacuum. If it were truly watertight, the pressure difference is trying to blow the crystal off, and would in most cases succeed. In most dry vacuum testers that I have come across, there is a 3 bar limit to try to stop this happening.

Agree with both of you. Just found this product quite odd, and gimmicky. Here's the unprofessional video demo lol

ron76

How can you test to 10bar when the pressure differential between vacuum and atmospheric pressure is only 1bar????

Sent from.... Bla bla bla

Rolexwatchman

haha wtf? this shit is funny :D

black263

In the video, he talks about 10lb, rather than 10 bar, which is about 145psi. I can see his little plastic hand held vacuum pump getting a psi or two pressure difference, but not much more than that.

SSTEEL

I know, its crap, but according to their sales/site its 10Bar. If that thing is 10Bar, I'm the pope! :lol:

black263

I know, its crap, but according to their sales/site its 10Bar. If that thing is 10Bar, I'm the pope! :lol:

Gizza blessing guv.

scorpion

ONLY $195 Payment sent :giggle: