Sign in to follow this  
James.

Samsung watch; game changer?

sci2

I have a Pebble. I was one of their Kickstarter backers. Don't hate, fellas. I still wear my autos and 'real' watches most every day. The Pebble is fairly nice. It won't win any beauty pageants, but some of the things it does are very useful. Right now, I mostly wear it when I play golf. It works alongside a caddy app on my phone and tells me my GPS distance to the front, center and back of the green right on my wrist. It's light and discrete and doesn't interfere with my swing. I also find it useful when I have all day meetings or trade shows as I'll get texts and call notifications to the watch. A casual glance at my watch doesn't look nearly as rude as pulling out my phone. I wear mine on a nato and being that I'm a Network Engineer, it helps my geek cred. The charge on the Pebble lasts for a week+ and fully charges via usb in 2 hours.

That said - this behemoth by Samsung. It's... big. The next gen where these get smaller will be key I think. There's a misunderstanding by many of what you want or need the watch to do that overlaps the phone. If I'm going to look at a picture, for instance, I'm going to do it on the big, vibrant screen on my S4, not on the puny watchphone. I'm also unlikely to ever talk on my wrist. But quickly firing off a canned response to a text, "Sorry, in a meeting, call you later" with one button? That has some merit.

jeffw69

I'm going to deliver a viscous neck punch to the first person I see talking to their watch.

Oooh a violent one......

why not just run 'em down with your bitchin' Camaro on your way home from spelling lessons. :rofl:

TheTinMan
Hey R5tdi, I just drooled in my mouth - no joke. Where did you find that beauty? Is it new? I've been looking for a decent auto rep of this watch. All I can find are quartz.

Ah sorry its a gen got it from local AD but nice discount 28%

I gave up trying to find a rep ;)

It crossed my mind as I was typing that you had a gen there. Congrats!! The insanity of trying to find a decent rep is driving me to an AD as well. MUST STAY AWAY!!

Nnilswerdna

That is so gay.

Realism

I'm going to deliver a viscous neck punch to the first person I see talking to their watch.

Oooh a violent one......

why not just run 'em down with your bitchin' Camaro on your way home from spelling lessons. :rofl:

he might just do that seeing how much thinking prowress he has

parisianshut

it's like talking about the new PRIUS to guys who collect FERRARI and CORVETTE from the 60's

sure it has plenty of awesome technologies but it doesn't really interest us...

in it but it's not a watch... it's a computer attached to you wirst...

BUT, this is clearly a game changer for most of the people. like the google glasses. objects are becoming smarter , everywhere.

cannon_fodder1010

This is the first generation... these things will definitely find a significant market. Right now, they are only scratching the surface of what they can do. Can you imagine a higher than retina display that allows you to customize the watch face for what you want: sporty, rugged, outdoorsy, dress, casual? Someone will hack it and offer Repp'ed brand names.

Many people don't wear watches because they use their phone to tell time. Many people wear watches more as fashion accessories. But there will be people who use this as an extension to their smart phone.

DG335

Iwatch will come and will nail the market but the market will expand not shrink.

Youngsters don't buy or wear watches..they use their phone. This will pull from the phone market not watches. Kids who become blokes will eventually decide they want a nice mechanical thing that ticks and pay the £4k.

Et voila

greg_r
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

Just sayin' :B):

onionbag

Meh.....

Viscous neck punches.................I reserve those for the truly thick...........or when in a sticky situation.

Tits McGee

Oooh a violent one......

Oh my! Mongo no like watch?

Ilikewaches

Oooh a violent one......

he might just do that seeing how much thinking prowress he has

You guys have a terrible sense of humor. Stupid jokes for stupid people.

veritech

I love all technology innovation, but this doesn't impede on traditional watches at all. I like how Samsung is referring it to more a "companion" device rather than a true-stand alone product. I can see better fitness apps, NFC payments, biometric authentication, keyless access replacements, etc. As of right now, first gen needs to work out the kinks and truly find out efficient uses vs. gimmicks.

cheeese

It's the calculator watch of the milinium. Might as well wear a pocket protector.

Casio-Calculator-Watch.jpg

I'm not saying smart watches won't take off but they need to be accessories, stylish and status symbols before they do. When they look like this they'll be popular.

MinorityReport_watch01.jpg

sequel7

The battery life is a put off....

emtp101

First generation will always come with problems, battery life, apps, storage space and so on. Probably not till the second or third generation will I even consider to buy one, and I mean consider.

rickdangerous

I wouldn't touch one of those things with a barge pole. 'nuff said.