Sign in to follow this  
machiavegli

AP Forged Carbon / FC Diver review -- $398 TrustyTime version

machiavegli

Hey guys,

The Audemar Piguet Forged Carbon (FC) Diver was released as a gen last year, and V1 and V2 reps are available and have been reviewed here and elsewhere, from Angus at PureTime among others. However, all these versions have been flawed, mostly due to imperfections in the "grain" of the forged carbon itself. Here's a mini-review of the V2 and the current PT ad, price $528:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/my-forged-carbon-152340.html

http://puretime.co/product/royal-oak-offshore-diver-forged-carbon-11-best-edition-on-rubber-strap-a2824-v2/

This April, Andrew at TrustyTime began to post pics of a completely new version of the AP FC (I believe H-fac) and started accepting pre-orders, with correct "grain" on the FC. Here's the post and the current TT ad, price $398:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=50095

http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=352&products_id=10716

I preordered in April and got mine today.

Here it is:

My QC pics from Andrew:

1378412120_zps5394c085.jpg

1378412129_zpse0e9dd6f.jpg

1378412130_zpseb455695.jpg

1378412134_zpse19635a8.jpg

It's + 8 sec/day, which I can easily live with:

1378412116_zpsc6349f09.jpg

QC was great, comms were great, and packaging was the best I've had in the rep biz so far. The only thing that was not ideal was the long delay between the planned and actual product launch date, which was not TT's fault.

After unboxing, some wristies:

1378416220_zps764ce2c8.jpg

1378416608_zps3398bbb2.jpg

My impressions:

I am not as much of an AP lover as many of us on the forum(s). However, the overall quality of AP reps has increased dramatically over the last few years. This is no exception. I have also handled the gen in person, as we have a high-end watchmaker down the street from my house. The SS caseback has perfect 1:1 engraving (down to the bubble texture background around the logo). The dial printing is sharp. The dial texture (almost invisible cote de geneve underneath the raised squares) is perfect. Finish on hands and dial markers is good. Date wheel advances with an authorative "click" and DW font looks good to me. The lume is well applied and is average-to-good; per the description is gen Superluminova. AP's usual mix of materials (SS back, polished SS bezel screws, brushed titanium lug pieces and buckle) are matched correctly.

For comparison, here is a photo of the gen from ABlogToWatch:

1378411975_zps1a1180c0.jpg

One issue I had initially was the somewhat strange appearance of the 12 o'clock triangle on the rotating inner bezel (which works perfectly, although I had to wiggle it a bit to get the triangle exactly where I want it). As you can see from the wristie and QC photos, the triangle looks a bit odd as it has a black outline on the right side only, making it look crooked. However, this annoying but true to gen. A close-up of gen photo above:

1378416743_zpse0bd3750.jpg

The movement is absolutely smooth highbeat Asian (28.8K) and rotor is quiet. When I operate the crown there is a little "play" between positions 0 and I (watch continues to wind when you are screwing the crown down), and also between positions II and III (you have to give a relatively good tug to get it from date-set to hour-set).

After handling the original, which feels feather-light, this felt a little heavier in the hand. Here is the TT AP RC rep on the scale. Only stats I could find on how much the FC is supposed to weigh is "under 120 grams", which this certainly is:

1378411896_zps080d2ad0.jpg

If the gen -is- lighter I wonder if it's because movement components are lighter since the movements are made by AP in house. BUT for comparison (apples to oranges) I weighted my full stainless steel but chunkier AP ROOS, also on rubber, for comparison... it was about 50% heavier.

1378414104_zpse06be538.jpg

Finally, about that "grain" on the forged carbon case. The "grain" on the prior AP FC reps is more of a "swirl", or maybe wood grain effect. As you can see by looking at the QC and wristie pics above, this rep has "grain" that looks completely different and more true to gen. I'm not really sure what to call it, it looks a little like the pattern you see on a frosted window or the mica pattern in finished granite. Anyway, it looks cool.

Conclusion: A better rep at a better price. Worth adding to any collection.

-Mach

nativenvs

Tempting!! Very Nice Piece!

donjuan18

Bow!

machiavegli

I know, right? Love this thing. Forgot to mention AR is colorless and good, one wristie is in direct sunlight.

-Mach

P4GTR

I'm not a fan of pre-orders. That said, I understand that quality takes time. J/A could've easily released a sub par product but from what i've seen so far, they knocked this one out of the ballpark. I haven't seen a case yet that is sub par. I applaud the initial integrity i've seen regarding this release. They look absolutely stellar.

Looking forward to making a few straps worthy of this release. :baghead:

machiavegli
I'm not a fan of pre-orders. That said, I understand that quality takes time. J/A could've easily released a sub par product but from what i've seen so far, they knocked this one out of the ballpark. I haven't seen a case yet that is sub par. I applaud the initial integrity i've seen regarding this release. They look absolutely stellar.

Looking forward to making a few straps worthy of this release. :baghead:

Hi Daniel,

I was actually one of the members bitching about how long this took. I'm glad I waited, it's the real deal.

-Mach

P.S. I hate rubber straps and can't wait to see what you come up with!

cwazy1

why is the lume on the inner bezel yellow like that? theres something wrong with that part of it.

Wriggles

Very nice Mach, very nice indeed. Bet all those who shelled out for the earlier way overpriced model are sick now!

An AP I might actually consider getting, who'd have thunk it!

Nice review, enjoy the watch often

mianos

I would have written an identical review, Ordered at the same time, just got mine a few days ago. I agree, it's an amazing looking watch. Except for this:

> When I operate the crown there is a little "play" between positions 0 and I (watch continues to wind when you are screwing the crown down), and also between positions II and III (you have to give a relatively good tug to get it from date-set to hour-set).

Mine has exactly the same problem. WTF? did they make the crown stem too short or something? It's f*ing terrible.

Even though it feels so so bad winding, setting the time, screwing the crown in, mine keeps really good time. I hope it lasts. It feels like the whole keyless is made from plastic and tinfoil. I have never felt a watch worse.

The materials in this watch are amazing. Real feeling/looking forged carbon, amazing ceramic bezel, an lovely slightly reflective crystal, super polished screws and a grey titanium buckle.

mianos

ps. I got number 92. There can't be a hell of a lot out there yet.

machiavegli
ps. I got number 92. There can't be a hell of a lot out there yet.

It's like every other rep, man. You and I are just looking for every better version holding this fairy dust holding this *hit together :)

- Mach

machiavegli
why is the lume on the inner bezel yellow like that? theres something wrong with that part of it.

Hi Cwazy,

You're a guru of mine, but doesn't it look true to gen? It's like the inner bezel triangle, the design guys in Guangzhou are like ... Ok... I can make it like this... but do they want it exactly like this?!?

-Mach

baxter

looks beautiful Mach - enjoy !! :)

Chrisby

Hmm yes thanks for the review of this watch, this maybe one I consider getting, at that price you can't really go wrong!

Wear it well!

NFleischer

Very cool looking- Congrats. This seems to be a better value than the Noob version; $80 less.

replicastuff

wow, this is starting to grow on me

machiavegli
Hmm yes thanks for the review of this watch, this maybe one I consider getting, at that price you can't really go wrong!

Wear it well!

Very cool looking- Congrats. This seems to be a better value than the Noob version; $80 less.
wow, this is starting to grow on me

Thanks guys!! It's great to buy a just-out watch and have it work out so well. I wouldn't look at the other factory until their FC case improves.

-Mach

HeavyKrush

Not only does it look great, but it's freaking spot on.

machiavegli

Not only does it look great, but it's freaking spot on.

My thoughts exactly. Worth the wait!

-Mach

nyckid

This is an amazing watch! I just got mine and I have not been able to take it off :P

Freepower

Congrats very nice FC

RobertG129

Great review thank you. I've been considering buying this watch.

reelodin

That looks great especially for the price

machiavegli

Great detailed review by fellow member Edgematic HERE. He is very critical of the AR coating on crystal and cyclops, which is absolutely correct, it is absolutely more reflective than the gen. In the notes, several people have created franken projects where they combine the best of the H-fac and Noob factory versions.

-Mach

wrenches&watches

Mine is in route from Andrew with lightning fast speed so far, DHL might be my new favorite shipper. I can't wait to wear it and love all over it! After seeing that Angus has an even newer version at over $100 more I'd love to see a comparison between the two, anybody else?!