Sign in to follow this  
madcrazyferret

Does anyone use a watch winder?

madcrazyferret

Are they any good? is it better not to wind a watch if you are not wearing it, i.e not wearing it out!!

greg_r

There are two schools of thought here, but logic would seem to suggest that a watch that's always running is going to wear more quickly.

I have a winder, but just use it as a box. Honestly, other than the convenience of not having to set the time in the morning, I don't really see the point.

Chrisby

I use my fingers to wind my watch... I do just let them wind down, however I will wind them all every now and then

Olly

Yep :D Worth it's weight in gold !!

Bigcountrykris

I bought a nice winder on ebay which holds 2 watches, used it for about 2 weeks then came to the thinking that if its running all the time then it must wear the movement out quicker, just used as a box now lol. Stick to winding them by hand.

dalboy

I have a wrist !!

Does that count . :suck:

Dal.

Olly

I have a wrist !!

Does that count . :suck:

Dal.

Depends can you wind all you watches on 2 wrists ? :giggle:

HeavyKrush

I have one. Have mixed feelings on it though. I do like the presentation element.

null_zpscaf23bed.jpg

nev848

Nope just shake rattle and roll them when I need one. No issues to date.

Besides my Omega Moon is hand wind so buggered there :)

WristWatch

I use a watch winder on my most of my frequently worn watches that I switch out throughout the week, others I let wind down. The rule of thumb was to keep automatics running so as not to let the lubricant pool migrating away from their locations thus causing wear on the mechanisms later after the watch is started up again.That problem may have been more of an issue with the type of oils used in vintage watches, but modern movements should be using lubricants ressistent to pooling or becoming thick without use. That said letting your automatic run down shouldn't hurt but if you are wearing the watch off and on frequently I think it's better to keep it running and avoid wear and tear on the crown pulling it out for winding repetitively.

I'm sure their are numerous posts with different opinions on the use of watch winders and no one is going to be wrong or right about their use. Everyone's situation is different and so will be their opinion.

Let's take a vote.....

LightGeek

I use a winder. For the budget conscious, here's another option :)

aje6eved.jpg

Olly

The device he uses here to wind the watch is quite cool !!

nyckid

I really like using my fingers....I wouldn't like a wooden box doing the job my fingers so wonderfully do. I can assure I'm not the only one within my household who thinks so :Whistle:

What? Too soon? :giggle:

fraggle42

Just bought an 8 watch winder to keep all my autos on.

They rock!

I find it annoying to have to set the time and date if I fancy wearing another watch, plus those keyless works mechs are so fussy I want to avoid using them if I can.

Olly
:rofl:

Bosox

Only because my wife gave a winder to me, I keep two gens on it. How do rep movements hold up on a winder?

Olly

Fine.... They shouldnt have an issue anyway. You may only have an issue if the rotor isn't oiled and it will stick in one place.

sms

I rotate watches on the winder regularly, plus I have a few with crown problems that still run but I can't set the time and/or date, so I just leave them running. One is s silix cheapie that the quick set function won't work. It;s been on the winder for more than 6 months and is within a 2 or 3 minutes of the correct time. It's amazing how well some of those cheapies run. I had the crown on my Milgauss break today. IT has a swiss movement and the crown just pulled right out. I'll bet the cheapie keeps better time. I'll find out as I may not send it off to get it fixed for a long time, as long as it stays pretty close anyway.

ag69

I have a couple of watch winders. First is a 8 watch winder bought on eBay and the second one is a 8 watch Wolf Design winder. Love and use the Wolf Design winder for all the gen automatics I have. To lazy to take the watch out and adjust the date and time!!

Rolexwatchman

I use it, sometimes I wear 1 watch all week out and then next one, it depends on the mood... this is where winder comes in handy!

Phillips1847

aje6eved.jpg

Does this tool have a specific name? I can't seem to find one. I would love one for my speedy because I have big fingers and winding it can be a pain.

nev848

aje6eved.jpg

Does this tool have a specific name? I can't seem to find one. I would love one for my speedy because I have big fingers and winding it can be a pain.

+1 also worried about wearing the side of the case and bezel.

Phillips1847

Found it! They are called "Watch Crown Winder"