greg_r

User guide to the A7750 movement.

Jasonbaylee

Hi

I know u can laugh at this but i don seem to be able to unwind my crown of my new purchase AP Montauk to ser the time. Lol

Do i pull the crown out?

lukerenegade

thanks good to know!

greg_r

Hi

I know u can laugh at this but i don seem to be able to unwind my crown of my new purchase AP Montauk to ser the time. Lol

Do i pull the crown out?

It's a screw-down crown. Unscrew it and then pull it out.

Jasonbaylee

Greg_r, pls pardon me for this : unscrew Upward pr Downward?

Read much abt tis fragile movement & it kinda freezes me...

Jasonbaylee

Ops! Got it! Screw down.

sms

The 7750 is probably the most-discussed movement on the rep boards. Partly because of the notorious issues with the secs@6 movements (now a little improved with the latest version), but also because it has built a reputation for being less reliable than other movements. The reliability issue is, however, largely based on early samples of the low-beat version - the movement currently being fitted to replica watches is quite a bit more reliable than has been the case in the past - although problems can still occur.

Here are a few basic guidelines - culled from posts by Ziggy and various other folks who know a damn sight more about this movement than I do wink.png .

1. If you have to hand-wind the movement, do so gently and try not to do it too often. The hand wind mechanism is quite high-geared and there is a danger that you can strip the gears if you're too rough with it. Best advice is to start the watch with a quick 'swirl' then just strap it on and wear it. Normal use should keep it wound (I can vouch for this as it's what I do.).

2. Yes, the 7750 rotor is usually that noisy wink.png

The 7750 rotor only winds in one direction. The winding direction has resistance since the rotor is trying to wind the mainspring. In the other direction there is no resistance at all, and the rotor is free to spin. If the rotor bearings are dry, there is nothing preventing the rotor from spinning like crazy. Lubricating the bearings helps to quieten the rotor a bit and prevent such a free spin in the non-winding direction.

3. Don’t set the date between 7 pm and 2 am

This is true for all 7750’s, Asian or gen Valjoux. Note that this is also good practice when setting the date on other movements. The date gear starts to engage with the date wheel around 7pm and disengages totally by 2 am, if you attempt to do a quick date change during the engagement, you may damage the watch. Best advice - with any watch, whatever the movement - is to wind the hands forward past midnight until the date changes, then with the hands set to around 6am, use the quick set function to change the date as needed.

4. Don’t re-set the chrono with the seconds hand anywhere but between 10 and 2 on the dial.

The reset hammer can slam down very hard onto the heart cams for the seconds and minute counters. This force can cause the seconds hand to slip if the hand is sitting anywhere but between 10 and 2. Even genuine watches can suffer from this problem. A slipping center seconds hand is totally preventable by the owner, all you have to do is make sure you never reset your chrono between anything but 10-2. In addition, DO NOT push the chrono reset pusher (@ 4) while the chrono hand is running. It is also recommended that you resist the temptation to 'play' with the chronos too often - especially on an unserviced movement - as this can increase the chances of problems.

As I said - this post has been collected from comments by various experts on the boards. If more knowledgeable folks than myself have any corrections or observations, do please feel free to comment and I'll correct this post if appropriate. Thanks.

Thanks for this. Wish I had read it a year ago.

djs1984

Wish I had I read this before I bought my first rep 7750...

Pmat

Pmat

So, does this movement have any positives.....apart from the price?

Ive serviced atleast 30 of these movts this year alone and its a great movt after being serviced. The key with these movts is getting it serviced. After that you have a great work horse movt that will last years without problems.

Thanks for the advice MD and sorry it took so long to respond...I only just noticed it.

So, it looks like I'd better get mine serviced!

drummerkid1990

Great post, this has been very helpful. I just ordered a Breitling Transocean Chronograph with the seconds at 9 from Perfect Clones. The movement is a Asia 7750 with 28800 bph, I understand this to be a better 7750 movement with the seconds at 9. My question is, since I wont wear this often, just 2-3 nights a week, is it ok to keep on a winder? If so, what is a good setting for that. MD2020, do you work on members watches if I were to ship it to you for a service and lubrication. Thank you all for your help, this forum has taught me a lot.

Nemals

Thank you for the info on the 7750 movement.it's appreciated.

Technojunkie

I'm considering purchasing this watch http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=3093&st=0 from WI as my first rep.The watch has the Asia Valjoux 7750 (28,800bph) movement but

I have no idea if it's a Sec@6 or Sec@9 ! Is this something I need to ask the TD ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

J.S.

I'm considering purchasing this watch http://www.rwg.bz/bo...topic=3093&st=0 from WI as my first rep.The watch has the Asia Valjoux 7750 (28,800bph) movement but

I have no idea if it's a Sec@6 or Sec@9 ! Is this something I need to ask the TD ?

This Tag has sec@9

Technojunkie

I'm considering purchasing this watch http://www.rwg.bz/bo...topic=3093&st=0 from WI as my first rep.The watch has the Asia Valjoux 7750 (28,800bph) movement but

This Tag has sec@9

That's great, thank you for the info J.S.

I understand that the 7750 Sec@9 movements are more reliable than others but how often do they need servicing and where would I get it serviced (in the UK) ?

I've had a gen Omega Seamaster for 15 years now and have had it serviced about 5 times at various Omega retailers by their own watchmakers (rather than sending it back to Omega). I understand that parts are a major issue with the 7750 movement and that there are no watchmakers in the UK that will service or repair them (although I'd like to be corrected on this point).

Basically, this will be my first rep watch and I would like to know if I'm going to be able to relax and enjoy the watch or spending many frantic hours on the internet looking for solutions to problems I have with the Asian 7750 28,800bph Sec@9 movement.

Edited by Technojunkie

trailboss99

Servicing is about three to five years depending on how much you wear it.

There is a guy in Germany who will service it for you so no worries there.

TBH you will probably find you end up with a good dozen watches so it may never really need a service.

Technojunkie

TBH you will probably find you end up with a good dozen watches so it may never really need a service.

Thank you trailboss99, excellent info. Does the guy in Germany that does servicing post on this forum ?

Edited by Technojunkie

trailboss99

Thank you trailboss99, excellent info. Does the guy in Germany that does servicing post on this forum ?

Nope, you will find him next door: http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=184

stormyboy

What's the concensus on the a7750 w/sec @ 12 -- looking @ an AP Auto Tour from Josh.

I've suffered the dreaded failure of an a7750 w/sec @ 6 on a new Daytona & am now a little concerned about any non 3 or 9 (no problems w/ my Grand Carrera & Monaco)

No worries on the Daytona though, Josh has me covered on that :thumbsup2:

Kyrasym

So far I have owned 2 watches with A7750 one arrived dead and another died after 2 days. I did not wind wind the watch using the crown as advised Wore to lunch one day and by the time I got home, its dead!

Howlo999

Just received my Tag Heuer Carrera with the A7750 movement from Silix. This thread has been very informative for me, so thanks everyone that's contributed.

Cheers,

Lee

gianton

Do you think it's a good idea to put an A7750 watch on the winder when not wearing it? Is it safe on the long run or will it wear the parts of the movement faster?

greg_r

Do you think it's a good idea to put an A7750 watch on the winder when not wearing it? Is it safe on the long run or will it wear the parts of the movement faster?

I never bother with winders, but then all my watches get used at least every two or three months...

One thing to bear in mind, however, is that the A7750 is a bit fussy about winders. Many will fail to charge it...

jmangs224

What's the concensus on the a7750 w/sec @ 12 -- looking @ an AP Auto Tour from Josh.

I've suffered the dreaded failure of an a7750 w/sec @ 6 on a new Daytona & am now a little concerned about any non 3 or 9 (no problems w/ my Grand Carrera & Monaco)

No worries on the Daytona though, Josh has me covered on that :thumbsup2:

Was wondering the same. I know some TDs say its better now but Im not sure if thats true. Would really like to add an AP ROO to my collection but I dont think I can pull the trigger if its a crap shoot whether itll work or not.

greg_r

Secs@12 isn't as bad as secs@6 as the extra module is somewhat better designed, but there are still more reliability issues than with the vanilla secs@9 7750 (same goes for secs@3). Still, lots of folks have happily working APs, so your chances are reasonable.

jp11429

Thanks, a very helpful post.