greg_r

User guide to the A7750 movement.

JoeH

So my A7750 is losing about a minute per 24 hours. I have hand-wound it a few times (before reading this thread). The watch has not stopped but ive been wearing it every day since purchase (almost 3 weeks).

Is this within an acceptable range for the movement (I mean, it hasn't exploded yet, which it sounds like many do)?

Do I need to have the watch serviced, or can I lubricate it on my own?

Thanks for the help gentleman.

greg_r

So my A7750 is losing about a minute per 24 hours. I have hand-wound it a few times (before reading this thread). The watch has not stopped but ive been wearing it every day since purchase (almost 3 weeks).

Is this within an acceptable range for the movement (I mean, it hasn't exploded yet, which it sounds like many do)?

Do I need to have the watch serviced, or can I lubricate it on my own?

Thanks for the help gentleman.

I would say that 1 minute per day is acceptable. I'd leave it alone for now - they can be quite expensive to service. Service it when it needs it. :)

Cannibal

My watchmaker says he has yet to have a 7750 come in due to winding issues. He said the 2824 is notorious about winding wear.

That said, the 7750 in my Cousteau will lose about 7 minutes in 8 hours overnight (crown up) and if I let the PR drop after not wearing it for a day, the date will change over at midnight but not the day.

And yet when I wear it, it's VERY accurate on time (like doesn't gain or lose anything noticible) and all functions the way it should. Attention whore watch? LOL

Any ideas what would make it lose time overnight and be finicky about the day change?

JoeH

Thanks Greg! Being my first rep (and automatic watch in general) I wasn't sure if the time loss was indicative of a more sinister problem lurking within. I'll quit worrying about it, for now.

greg_r

My watchmaker says he has yet to have a 7750 come in due to winding issues. He said the 2824 is notorious about winding wear.

That said, the 7750 in my Cousteau will lose about 7 minutes in 8 hours overnight (crown up) and if I let the PR drop after not wearing it for a day, the date will change over at midnight but not the day.

And yet when I wear it, it's VERY accurate on time (like doesn't gain or lose anything noticible) and all functions the way it should. Attention whore watch? LOL

Any ideas what would make it lose time overnight and be finicky about the day change?

I think it's haunted ;)

16plus4v

My a7750 crown/winding pin came right out of my BR01-94 after about two months. Should be an easy fix, but the first rep to fail me, and first a7750.

Cannibal

Just bought a swiss 7750 to install in my 2008 Cousteau AT.

snowykim

Where did you get Swiss 7750 and what was the cost if I may ask?

opatme

Thanks for all of the information on the 7750. I just received a Pam 088N GMT with secs at 9:00 about a week ago and have been wearing it proudly since. What a beauty. Looks fantastic, gets all sorts of compliments, keeps good time and I didn't experience the movement stopping issue until yesterday evening. Gave it four easy turns to jump start the movement which worked, but now, immediately after it is LOUD. I am hearing what I suppose is the rotor sloshing back and forth no matter what direction the watch itself is moving. This was not the case at all until last night. Am I to understand that servicing the movement, more specifically lubricating it, will solve this issue? How difficult of an operation is this? And does anyone have any suggestions for a reliable watch repair individual in the Southeastern United States, say Atlanta? Lots of questions I know but any help would be appreciated.

SSTEEL

Welcome to RWG, better late than never, you have been a member for four years here, and this is your first post?

Sounds like your rotor may of come loose.

opatme

I suppose I am more studious than loquacious so I read more than I happen to speak. I didn't go through the new member motions as I truly have been around a while. Thanks for your response however. The movement stopped working altogether last night and the rotor sounded as if it was smashing against the inside of the caseback. Sure enough, just opened her up and lo and behold, no screw retaining the rotor. It has to be in there as I had it for almost a week before any symptoms arose, but even slightly shaking it upside down produces no rotor screw. Anyone have a similar experience? Sure would like to get this puppy us and running again in short order. It was all going so well...

SSTEEL

Have a look in the list of watchmakers, and trusted modders in the associated section in the forums, there should be someone stateside who can help you.

Hornet

Welcome to RWG, better late than never, you have been a member for four years here, and this is your first post?

Sounds like your rotor may of come loose.

The rotor on my Pam 312 came loose and before that it sounded like a bag of spanners, and it also never wound itself enough to give any reserve over a few hours. Eventually it stopped moving altogether, rotor was loose and jammed against the case back. With the help of the hero's of RWG (see this thread http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=76471&hl=&fromsearch=1) I managed to put it back on. Still noticed that it wasn't winding very freely and have just lubricated the rotor bearing, it now seems a lot better. time will tell if I've fixed it.....

....next rep is an asian clone, staying well away from 7750s!

opatme

Thanks eaxwrob. Read your thread but the rotor still had a screw to hold it in place, yes? I can't locate the screw but I believe it was there originally as everything worked fine and quietly for a few days. I hate to think it is loose somewhere in the movement but who knows. I have asked the dealer if a replacement screw would be possible to order, or if anyone here knows where I might find one I would be appreciative. I have read that these A7750 parts are hard (impossible) to find but maybe one screw... In addition I intend to order some Moebius 9010 to lube the rotor with as long as I have the watch open.

I will also check stateside modders, etc. Thanks SSTEEL.

And as to your signature quote eaxwrob about motorcycles, indeed! Unfortunately I have a Honda Valkyrie I will be selling soon due to the fact that we have a 3 year old and a fourteen week old at home and the wife and I do not ride anymore. If we did we just might not come back...

Hornet

Yep fella, read that you'd lost the screw which is real bummer. Thankfully I'd still got mine, it's fairly big and decorated with fake screws....

Hope that you either find it or can get hold of one. Wish I'd done more research before I'd bought the pam as I'd never have bought the version with the 7750 movement, all the difficulties with parts and repairs are a nightmare waiting to happen!

Don't sell the bike!! Madness! You'll need an outlet with having two kids...

... I've got a 3 year old and it doesn't stop me, she loves being strapped on the back for a blast out!

opatme

I've re-opened the case at least four times thinking that somehow the screw will miraculously appear! I think that it has to be in there as there were several days after I got her where all was quiet and the reserve piled up copiously. If I can just find that damn screw or get another one and put some oil on the rotor I think I will have a smashing watch that will be daily arm candy.

As to the bike, my talk is cheap. I've been saying I am going to sell it for at least two years now. Although If I do sell it we will probably buy a jeep to get our dose of out doors going.

Hornet

Are you willing to fully disassemble the watch, i.e. take the movement out? Wonder if you might find the screw? Not sure if it would be worth the risk of doing more damage...

.... keep the bike, keep the bike (is the subliminal messaging work?)

opatme

I just now finished looking the movement over for the 5th time in search of the screw. I have searched some threads about removing movements but I am fairly certain there is a 110% chance of me mucking everything up if I attempt that. Way too many tiny little things for me to break. I am more of a "bust up concrete" or "tear down that wall" sort of fellow, although sometimes I surprise myself. It is a shame though as I also have a SS Day Date with Swiss eta that needs the dial rotated a smidgen and a movement retainer replaced as the movement settles in the case. I hate to spend all that money on repairs that should be fairly easy given the correct parts. Maybe it is time to strike up a relationship with a local repairman!

Hornet

Good luck finding one mate! And I hope that you find that screw....

plankton

New info to me about the handwinding, THANKs Boss!

<RJ>

Well. All i can say is that the a7750s still suck goat as good as ever. No matter how much money you put into it. It never works flawless like most clone 2824/2836 for example. I hope that one day i could find one that works good. Keeps time, Chrono reset as it should, Crown does its job and all continue to work well for more than a few months.

Rant over..

thumb3_funny_goat.jpg

trailboss99

Yes, I'd say you take it off at night and lay it face up instead of being crown down when worn. Position of a movement makes a considerable difference in timekeeping. Try sitting it in the crown down position at night and see what happens.

black263

So far I have owned 2 watches with A7750 one arrived dead and another died after 2 days. I did not wind wind the watch using the crown as advised Wore to lunch one day and by the time I got home, its dead!

Could be simply that you didn't move around enough to keep it wound. Try manually winding, gently for about 40 turns, and see how long it lasts.

D_Chico

Great info indeed!

blevison

I'm thinking of using a winder with the new rep I've ordered. It has the A7750 movement. Are there any problems with using winders or is it better to let the watch rest when not on my wrist?