Sign in to follow this  
northantsrich

Gen Vs Rep: Omega Seamaster Pro Ceramic Black Review

northantsrich

Hi Guys,

OK so I thought I would give a little back. I recently purchased an Omega Seamaster Pro Ceramic Black from Watches International. Nice smooth transaction although I do have an issue with the second hand (Ill come to that later).

Anyway I thought I would do a Gen Vs Rep review just so anyone who is thinking of buying this can make a better decision. The pictures are not amazing due to the fact I am using an iphone, also the lighting will be slightly different (The lighting in the AD ALWAYS makes a big difference to the pics!!!)as the gen pics are taken in an AD and the rep ones in a nearby coffee shop. I have also attempted to keep the pictures more at a distance as in reality this is as close as anyone who is “rep or gen” judging you will ever see. This rep has a Swiss ETA in it so reliability wise and smoothness wise we don’t even need to say how good this is. The real Omega is based off an ETA movement anyhow as you will all know I expect.

OK so first off I want to go over a few points that you need to watch for when you are sourcing one. From reading the forum and looking at other posts people have done it looks like we have a few faults that seem to always crop up. When sourcing from a TD its worth mentioning checking for: Bezel not aliened well. Date wheel not centred well. Also some can have a bad perl. The watch I had also for some reason has the second hand fixed on upside down!!!! With a little luck Watches International will send me a new correctly stamped second hand (will keep you posted on that!)

The first thing to mention is the only mod I have done on this is the hairdryer perl mod. This consists of holding a hairdryer over the perl for around 60 seconds or so and then with a flat object pushing the perl in. You will hear a small click when done. This sets the perl into the bezel more and makes it look considerably flusher like the gen.

OK so let’s get down to business, how does a $360 rep stack up to a $4,400 gen????

Front on, gen on top rep below:

30342551-5188-4A97-A3D0-D8986376AB73-2569-000006402E1CE9B4_zps584e0ed0.jpgB13317AE-C00A-430C-899A-345558B320D8-2597-0000064EF583FDD9_zpsdb91cf28.jpg

The back, gen on top rep below:

25A7AE88-0C7D-4251-922C-52D68BB4E260-2569-0000064044E4ABE5_zps8b02e632.jpg86A1C0F0-99F1-435C-AE91-AF680A2EC8AF-2569-000006407D61CD89_zps933f7793.jpg

The wrist shot, gen on top rep below:

0F603D09-2204-4AE1-9BC1-74A12766402A-2569-000006403C15DD59_zpsf1b92e68.jpgEA207169-B684-4C69-9C92-5A024E68F0E5-2582-00000641301FBAEE_zpsb9a7a19e.jpg

Tells: (overall no major ones!!!)

• Lume on the circular hour markers: This is more raised on the rep. It’s not a big tell and can be solved with a simple re-lume.
  • Hour and minuet hands: They can be a little rough around the edges and ideally the hour hand needs to be raised (a cannon pin should solve that).
  • Bezel: Overall the gen as a smoother set of markings Vs the more cut into the ceramic ones the rep uses. Having said that in person after the perl mod you honestly can’t tell. I guess you could apply some modling paint into the cuts and then polish the bezal and paint smooth with rubbing alcohol or something. Personally I am fine with it as it is. I might straighten the insert but that’s to be decided later.
  • Bracelet: On first appearance it looks like the silver shiny links on the rep don’t shine as much as on the gen.

So to sum up: All I will say is where is the extra $4,000 in value? Honestly with this rep, if they put the price up by $150 and fixed the above issues and had QUALITY Control in the factory then I think they could get a watch that was so close to the gen that it could fool an AD. As it stands at the moment assuming you and the TD are strict on QC and with a little moding you will have a smashing watch. That will fool almost everyone except for those that deal or handle this watch on a daily basis and even then I reckon it would give them a run for their money!

Hope you find this review useful.

PeterPotamus

nice review, thanks for posting

a shot of the caseback would be nice...

what maker / version is this Cr SMP?

Libertatia

Very helpful, thanks for taking the time. I've seen quite a few people on the fence about this watch, mainly about the movement though. The DW on mine is also misaligned, probably to the same degree as yours, and the bezel on mine is misaligned worse than yours. Also I don't think you've given yours a little clean before the pics! The gen looks much better here only because its just a lot more shinier :D

northantsrich

I'll give it a clean and update the pictures later. It's hard to do the pics if you don't have same same light. The light in an AD is so carefully selected its difficult to reproduce it.

machiavegli

TD should have caught that second hand in QA! Ah well, least she's fixing it.

If it feels weird taking pics in AD, you can always say that you need approval from the missus later and/or you want to make sure she buys you the correct model for your b-day.

Nice work,

Mach

northantsrich

nice review, thanks for posting

a shot of the caseback would be nice...

what maker / version is this Cr SMP?

I was going to but the AD had a sticker on the back. Thought it better not to post anything that identified the AD or hid the case

NFleischer

That is a nice looking rep- I have the 007 Edition. The mov'ts are probably refurbished but they tend to work very well.

QC from this (BP) factory is not that great. A lot of tube/stem/crown issues. But as you say, if you have to service it for $100 you're

ahead of the game IMO>

Libertatia

I have worn this watch everyday for the past month of so I've had it... Much more special than the bp sub. Only thing i'm beginning to dislike is the seamaster bracelet. Looking for a speedmaster, apparently it fits.

SliceMaster

Nice review mate...Ive been looking at this one for a while now and this sure helps.

deathnote

Wow....huge gap between gen n rep. I don't know what it is. maybe the quality of the rep is low but it's too easy to tell the rep from the gen. The gen just seem solo much more detailed and better build quality than the rep.

Edited by deathnote

northantsrich

Wow....huge gap between gen n rep. I don't know what it is. maybe the quality of the rep is low but it's too easy to tell the rep from the gen. The gen just seem solo much more detailed and better build quality than the rep.

Its funny but you can't tell in person that much. A LOT of it is to do with the light and my watch was not fresh out of a show cabinet.

Libertatia

I also have been in and seen the gen, this watch is extremely close. Polished up, and especially outside in natural sunlight where the double a/r crystal gets to show off, I'd say its almost ''super rep'' worthy. Also i'm sorry to hear about the second hand being upside down. Such a bummer when your watch arrives DOA or with a fault. I just recieved my XVII from kuvarist and the hour triangle at the top is half fallen out, and my SMP was DOA :/

Edited by papabear

DG335

Great review. I've been eyeing up that gen at heathrow airport each time I pass through. Have ordered the rep (in flight). Your review might just save me $4000 so thanks!

Rockzz22

nice review and watches thanks for the post

ads-1991

Great review, might have to add this one to the collection. cheers for posting :)

Irishcain

Thanks for the post. I've been on the fence, but I think I'll pull the trigger on this one :thumbsup:

HeavyKrush

Lighting is the big difference here. Would love to see a side by side in a light box but in the end who would notice. Watch looks spectacular on both sides. Wear it in good health.

northantsrich

I also have been in and seen the gen, this watch is extremely close. Polished up, and especially outside in natural sunlight where the double a/r crystal gets to show off, I'd say its almost ''super rep'' worthy. Also i'm sorry to hear about the second hand being upside down. Such a bummer when your watch arrives DOA or with a fault. I just recieved my XVII from kuvarist and the hour triangle at the top is half fallen out, and my SMP was DOA :/

+1 When your out in the sun or in nice lighting indoors it really sparkles.

Great review. I've been eyeing up that gen at heathrow airport each time I pass through. Have ordered the rep (in flight). Your review might just save me $4000 so thanks!

Hope you like it. Post a pic when you get it!

northantsrich

TD should have caught that second hand in QA! Ah well, least she's fixing it.

If it feels weird taking pics in AD, you can always say that you need approval from the missus later and/or you want to make sure she buys you the correct model for your b-day.

Nice work,

Mach

Good tip, Ill use that for mt next rep vs gen review!!

P4GTR

<p>I agree with northantsrich that for another couple of hundred dollars worth of TLQC they could be @ gen level.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The gen looks much more polished (and not in a <em>metallurgical </em>sense) than the rep imo.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Love these type of threads North.. keep them coming!</p>

<h3 class="row2">

</h3>

rufio

Thanks for the comparison.

Currently, this watch is my favorite everyday go-to-watch. You really do need to have the rep in front of you to truly see how amazing it is. For the money you pay, it is totally worth every penny.

marressey

Thank you for taking the time! A most excellent review and it really pushed me over the cliff - I'm buying one now! I've been on the fence on this one ever since it came out, but this review settles it. Must. Have. One. Sorry to hear about your second hand troubles, Hope they can fix it for you!

northantsrich
I do not have a very good camera, but here's an alright video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn81XHQxETc

What did you do to your bezel? The insert looks very smooth almost like the gen. My bezel looks a lot more cut into?

E.R.

Thanks for your time and review!

Very helpfull.