Sign in to follow this  
dalboy

Member GTG.. watches .. or not ?? i dont get it.

dalboy

Ok .. i risk being ripped to pieces here, but in the spirit of things i'll take that chance..

Member GTG's ..... meeting other members is a plus, i'm sure we would all agree on that, for some putting a face to that name is very interesting. and i welcome that..

For me the chance to get to know another member personally is what its all about. discuss watches , yes, break out the weird and wonderful yes, that after all is our common interest..

With this thought in mind , do i really want to spend all day or night on a GTG talking nothing but watches.. NO thanks.

I have made some very good friends on this forum , some of which i have lengthy conversations with, not i hasten to add all watch related..

Dont get me wrong , i love my watches and being a member here , but they are not the all consuming thing in my life, friendship with you lot is.

On some of the meetings members go laiden with boxs and boxs of watches , hell some even take the kitchen sink. :lol: ,,

Its a watch forum i hear you cry. yes, yes i know that but in most cases the watches taken are no different to what we all own or have at one time, take something rare, a one off, a franken , out of the ordinary .. yeah i get that..seeing nothing but a lot of run of the mill stuff is dare i say it . " Boring ". or is that just me..

So !!

Do you attend a GTG with the hope of making some new friends, or , seeing yet another P.O or A.P or 111. .

I fear i may be a minority in this , well see.

As my Dad used to say when i boxed .. " Your a big boy , you can take it " with that in mind ..Bring it on.!!

Dal.

onionbag

I like eating..........an' seeing if the bar has any new beers.

Oh, aye............and meeting new and old 'Mafia' is a breath of fresh air.

Watches are nice..........people are better. ;)

TheInthusiest

GTG's are simply to.. well... Get Together. :P

Let the convos flow and let the friendships begin. As we've seen in the off topic subforum, there are lots of people talking about lots of things other than watches.

For instance; What car should i buy, Relationships, BOOBIES (Onze.)

Indeed, the topics will mainly be about watches, but, once the general ice has been broken. Other conversations will emerge.

:)

dalboy

Watches are nice..........people are better. ;)

My point entirely Andy

mspangl

I go there to meet new people or old friends..

I think it's cool to see the members in real life because somehow you estimate how they are in person and they're whether more or less the same as you've made them up in your mind or completely different :lol:

Watches aren't in the foreground (imho) :)

Livebythebody

Putting a face to a name is always interesting.

Meeting like minded individuals who share the same passion, who knows you may have more in common besides Watches.

A chance to show off what you have, a chance to see what others have.

A chance to share experiences etc.

Should life be condemned to Forum chat, what did we all do before forum's, meet up of course, or write letters!

I think we should welcome a rare chance to converse face to face, those that not feel the same won't come, we are all entitled to our opinion.

R1evans

Dal,good points,I am from Newcastle,been on this forum about 6months,bought from TDs,bought on m2m,sold on m2m,have a bit of craic and banter with a few members and you get comfortable doing that.

But like you,I like to meet people,put a name to the face and all that,I've bought a few recently and actually managed to meet the face behind the name and its good.

I'm seriously thinking of coming up to the Glasgow GTG on the 28th Dec,and I'm working on getting Jase,who is from Durham,not too far away from me,to come up with me.

Should be able to confirm something later in the week,but I will contact Aston and let him know for sure.

Looking forward to it.

Hazz

I wos with you on that, till I met the members, now I just want to see watches

Joking , Made great friends here

Totally agree Darren

Ped

I feel exactly the same and haven't attended for that reason - yes I'm into watches but not talking about them all night and which sprocket moves the woppelganger which in turn inserts a fingy into a was'name

I'm glad this has been said and makes me feel better about attending one. Another philosophical saying to end - they're joost a boonch a cannie lads like oos

dalboy

I feel exactly the same and haven't attended for that reason - yes I'm into watches but not talking about them all night and which sprocket moves the woppelganger which in turn inserts a fingy into a was'name

I'm glad this has been said and makes me feel better about attending one. Another philosophical saying to end - they're joost a boonch a cannie lads like oos

You forgot the gaggle pin on the worzel sprocket :giggle:

Baz1872

I just go for the booze and the banter! :)

dalboy

I wos with you on that, till I met the members, now I just want to see watches

Joking , Made great friends here

Totally agree Darren

Thankyou Anthony

onionbag

I met Dal at an ad-hoc GTG.

He'd come up to Glasgow with his wife to visit Hazz. We often have coffee mornings on a Sunday and Dal came along...........a great pleasure it was to meet a valuable contributor to the human side of of this place.

Life here is not all about watches, for some it is and that's fine.......if not for 'characters' like Baldrick, JohnG, et al........I for one would be a less regular poster.

Forums are a microcosm of life in an exaggerated form...........troo life is better tho'.

dalboy

He'd come up to Glasgow with his wife to visit Hazz. We often have coffee mornings on a Sunday and Dal came along...........a great pleasure it was to meet a valuable contributor to the human side of of this place.

Life here is not all about watches, for some it is and that's fine.......if not for 'characters' like Baldrick, JohnG, et al........I for one would be a less regular poster.

Forums are a microcosm of life in an exaggerated form...........troo life is better tho'.

Cheers Andy...

Cheques in the post... :giggle:

SSTEEL

GTG's could include Go-Karting, or Paintball shooting I guess. After a watch chat lunch etc. Not been on one myself, a GTG that is, and I too would feel uncomfortable talking watches ALL THE TIME during the meeting.

onionbag

Cheers Andy...

Aye, payment sent...............ah've heard that before. :D

dalboy

Cheers Andy...

Aye, payment sent...............ah've heard that before. :D

Better than the alternative ..right !! :Whistle:

elp

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting any members f2f yet, but figure that an evening out with people that have a sense of humour isn't a complete waste of time!

Getting to try on some watches, and yes, learning about the gaggle pin on the worzel sprocket is a bonus somewhat

Am game for the next GTG in London, just grateful it isn't a men's room at the station in Amsterdam :lol:

dalboy

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting any members f2f yet, but figure that an evening out with people that have a sense of humour isn't a complete waste of time!

Getting to try on some watches, and yes, learning about the gaggle pin on the worzel sprocket is a bonus somewhat

Am game for the next GTG in London, just grateful it isn't a men's room at the station in Amsterdam :lol:

Amsterdam !! ohh the good ole days.. :giggle:

greg_r

You mean to say that you lot get together and actually talk about... watches...??? :huh:

's more than you do most of the time on here.... :D

elp
:rofl:

edwinowl

Cue Baxter with his suitcase full of watches lol. Difference is all his most of us only still dream about!!

But they are great social events and I've made some great pals as a result. If you've never been to one then get there. Might think about another Notts/ Derby early next year. Hehe.

masmannan

Maybe I'm in the minority. I don't really need new friends. But I do appreciate meeting experts who love my new hobby. No watches at a GTG - no masmannan.

BadPickle
Cue Baxter with his suitcase full of watches lol. Difference is all his most of us only still dream about!!

But they are great social events and I've made some great pals as a result. If you've never been to one then get there. Might think about another Notts/ Derby early next year. Hehe.

You should Andy, had a great time at the last one, good food, good company, and above all a good laugh. Definitely worth a visit, and yes, Baxter brought some real treats along for sure.

Chrisby

Yes a Notts/Derby gtg sounds great, aaaand this time I'll make it! Haha. Although have we considered maybe having a UK gtg? With members who are further afield (across the pond etc) maybe attending too?

The Midlands would be ideal as it's well in the middle :D

Totally agree with you Dal, to me gtgs are all about the people. We all know what reps are out there and I think that's why the posting of new acquisitions is becoming less and less. Sure if you've got a Franken or a gen bring them along. There are great people here, and most have interesting things to say.

Not all of my conversations on here are related to watches and I think that's the same at gtgs too.

Very interesting thread Dal!