Mirage

IWC 3714-31 V3 Review

Mirage

** As requested, here is what I posted on RWI regarding my newly acquired 3714 from Mary:

For a long time I have been dreaming of a portuguese chrono 3714 but was afraid of the second at 6o'clock desease. Well after many other watches on my list, I was down to this one again and could not resist anymore. If the thing dies, I'll try to fix it...

So I finally bought a V3 (Or V2 as referenced on different TD's website). The IWC Ardoise dial always mesmerized me.

Case

At first sight, this watch is simply perfectly proportioned, delicate, precise and bloody sexy! At second sight... well it remains as beautifull! If you have never held a Portuguese in your hands, even if it is only a rep, you are missing an entire chapter of what a watch should be!

The shap of the bezel really gives this watch a unique style. The way it is rounded to extended the curve line of the crystal and then comes back under the crytal is really nice.

Dial

Let the pictures here below speak for themselves...

Hands

Precise, delicate, PERFECT! They are like needles indicating with precision the time. Easy to look at without being too bold and gross.

Crystal

V3 was mentionning ARed crystal, I can appreciate the fact that there is some AR, but it is not sufficient in my mind for a darker dial. My A7753 Timewalker has a killer AR, and this is nothing compared to it. I had to work hard in order to find angles with limited reflection for the pictures here below.

Crown

The logo is not contrasting enough, it is too smooth. The key works is very well defined allowing good grip on the crown for adjusting the time. The crown/stem assy requires a bit more effort to rotate than my other 7750 watches.

Strap

Rep strap... the croc patern looks pretty artificial. The length of the small side is not optimal for a deployant clasp. Is the gen like this? Anybody?

Deployant Clasp

This clasp has the latest font style from IWC. The finish is not as good as the one on my Big Pilot, edges are sharp, polish is not even and engraving is not as deep.

Back case

Same quality as the rest of the watch. The brushed finish is nice and smooth.

Pusher

I thought they would feel flemsy and loose because of the way they are shaped, but they are and feel solid.

Movement

The hacking seconds hand sweeping is pretty jerky, it is worst when the watch sits flat. I guess it is from the friction of the gears against the bridges. The Chronograph hand is sweeping pretty smooth though.

jBief1w.jpg

1Xo1Wnw.jpg

JLqPwpb.jpg

HTUAsHL.jpg

0RHKZSW.jpg

4RpyVo0.jpg

WZBFoWJ.jpg

UJPfriw.jpg

gPeCpOw.jpg

I think this watch fits nicely in the family ;)

4eXJz4m.jpg

Heisenberg

Beautiful watch. I'm always tempted by this one. Love your IWC collection as well. I'm interested to know where you got the straps on the 3717 and the Top Gun?

Mirage

Thanks for the comments. Top Gun Strap was off of the bay. The Gen IWC was from a member to member sale, got lucky on this one.

Nice nickname and avatar by the way, I am a fan.

Edited by Mirage

popspacket

Great IWC collection. I particularly like the first one on the brown band - that's the perfect dress watch.

Rockzz22

Great watch

Heisenberg

Thanks for the comments. Top Gun Strap was off of the bay. The Gen IWC was from a member to member sale, got lucky on this one.

Nice nickname and avatar by the way, I am a fan.

Thanks, it's a great show. Thanks for the info. I'll have to hunt around on ebay for a similar strap.

roberto

Very sharp piece.

Nice IWC family, too.

watchlover23

This is probably my fav collection of any member I have seen. Very classy!!

Can I ask how much you paid for the watch in review?

Mirage

I paid 285$ for this piece.

JohnPilot

Like it. A very good rep.

Prancuzas

Shorter piece of the strap for deployment should be 55 instead of 75 as far as I remember ;)

Your's definately is too long. (length should be similar to Your BP's gen strap) ;)

Starre71

What is the size of the watch?

zackyh

actually im kind of more curious- what camera did u use?

jmac3789

nice. i am thinking of grabbing a portuguese soon. having trouble choosing between chrono and non chrono.

janus

Very nice watch!

usman

Nice watch.. Where did you buy it?

Mirage

actually im kind of more curious- what camera did u use?

A simple 500D (T1i) from Canon with a 18-55mm lens. The secret is in the lighting. I used photography umbrellas under kitchen hallogen lights with a tripod and about 1 sec exposure.

Mirage

What is the size of the watch?

It is 40mm but looks bigger due to the large dial and thin bezel.

Nice watch.. Where did you buy it?

Got it from MAry at watchinternatial. Trusted Dealer on this forum.

Starre71

Why isn't there a factory making this model with a proper movement?

I can't imagine that it will not sell by the masses...

10:10 Watch Repair

Why isn't there a factory making this model with a proper movement?

meaning?

baxter

would dearly love one of these but the mov't issue scares me a little .... this is a watch i would consider buying gen if i could find a nice 2nd hand one.

All that said it looks so good i might chance it with a rep and if it goes it goes ... i guess i could always send it off to domi and have the ar done at the same time.

Stunning watch - enjoy :)

bdaniel2

How the watch man after a few days?

This watch is eater proof ?

I want to order this watch to from Mary how do you pay with paypal?

How much time it's take to arrived to you?

Thanks Daniel.

Edited by bdaniel2

higginsd

??? Maybe my english is so bad but what do you mean by "How the watch man after a few days?" and "eater proof"???

You normally can pay with paypal after the first (few) deals with a TD. If he trusts you, he'll give you his PP-details and you can use this way. But before the first deal I think you'll have no chance. Use WesternUnion, it works fine with the TDs.

graman

:wub:

bdaniel2

??? Maybe my english is so bad but what do you mean by "How the watch man after a few days?" and "eater proof"???

You normally can pay with paypal after the first (few) deals with a TD. If he trusts you, he'll give you his PP-details and you can use this way. But before the first deal I think you'll have no chance. Use WesternUnion, it works fine with the TDs.

why i dont have a chance to use papal?

i talk with Mary from international watch and she give me her PayPal details to pay with that.

and i mean : "How the watch man after a few days?"

like What he thinks of watch after a few days of using the watch

and if the watch are water proof ...