Mirage

IWC 3714-31 V3 Review

Jonnybaws

Beautiful watch and stunning collection!

stormtooper4

OH that is soooo nice. Please keep us updated on it longevity

miniman

Nice watch and excellent review :thumbsup:

Mirage

Thank you guys! So far so good as for reliability goes, I am keeping a tab of the number of hours on my wrist. I then pull the crown to hack the movement when not wearing.

70 hours+ on the wrist so far and no issue! Will keep you guys posted on this.

The only downside of the dark grey dial it that the polished hour marker are not contrasting enough with the dial therefore it is somewhat hard to read time at certain angles.

Maybe I should also get a 3714-01... :)

Edited by Mirage

twofake

Hello

Which iwc is the gen ?

Mirage

Hello

Which iwc is the gen ?

The only piece of my IWC collection that is Gen is the Strap of my Big Pilot. All watch heads are reps ;)

myaz

4eXJz4m.jpg

Liking these IWCs more all the time, love that ardoise color, got the Panda and have the Big pilot incoming from Mary.

Nice selfie too :P . What is the movement?

rushact

this is one watch I'm dying to have but..

Giannide

Ho i a am a new european member and i'm looking for iwc3714.. Nave someone experience with Replica Maker or International Swiss Replica?

964boy

** As requested, here is what I posted on RWI regarding my newly acquired 3714 from Mary:

For a long time I have been dreaming of a portuguese chrono 3714 but was afraid of the second at 6o'clock desease. Well after many other watches on my list, I was down to this one again and could not resist anymore. If the thing dies, I'll try to fix it...

So I finally bought a V3 (Or V2 as referenced on different TD's website). The IWC Ardoise dial always mesmerized me.

Case

At first sight, this watch is simply perfectly proportioned, delicate, precise and bloody sexy! At second sight... well it remains as beautifull! If you have never held a Portuguese in your hands, even if it is only a rep, you are missing an entire chapter of what a watch should be!

The shap of the bezel really gives this watch a unique style. The way it is rounded to extended the curve line of the crystal and then comes back under the crytal is really nice.

Dial

Let the pictures here below speak for themselves...

Hands

Precise, delicate, PERFECT! They are like needles indicating with precision the time. Easy to look at without being too bold and gross.

Crystal

V3 was mentionning ARed crystal, I can appreciate the fact that there is some AR, but it is not sufficient in my mind for a darker dial. My A7753 Timewalker has a killer AR, and this is nothing compared to it. I had to work hard in order to find angles with limited reflection for the pictures here below.

Crown

The logo is not contrasting enough, it is too smooth. The key works is very well defined allowing good grip on the crown for adjusting the time. The crown/stem assy requires a bit more effort to rotate than my other 7750 watches.

Strap

Rep strap... the croc patern looks pretty artificial. The length of the small side is not optimal for a deployant clasp. Is the gen like this? Anybody?

Deployant Clasp

This clasp has the latest font style from IWC. The finish is not as good as the one on my Big Pilot, edges are sharp, polish is not even and engraving is not as deep.

Back case

Same quality as the rest of the watch. The brushed finish is nice and smooth.

Pusher

I thought they would feel flemsy and loose because of the way they are shaped, but they are and feel solid.

Movement

The hacking seconds hand sweeping is pretty jerky, it is worst when the watch sits flat. I guess it is from the friction of the gears against the bridges. The Chronograph hand is sweeping pretty smooth though.

jBief1w.jpg

1Xo1Wnw.jpg

JLqPwpb.jpg

HTUAsHL.jpg

0RHKZSW.jpg

4RpyVo0.jpg

WZBFoWJ.jpg

UJPfriw.jpg

gPeCpOw.jpg

I think this watch fits nicely in the family ;)

4eXJz4m.jpg

Great review and stunning watch.

As regards seconds at 6 , would a swiss 7750 sort this issue, and is there such a beast out there. Had a quick look, but no luck

Mirage

As regards seconds at 6 , would a swiss 7750 sort this issue, and is there such a beast out there. Had a quick look, but no luck

Unfortunately, there are no ETA 7750 that comes standard with the second at six. The standard configuration is at 9. IWC modifies the ETA 7750 by adding an extra plate to the movement that contains a module which transfers the seconds from 9 to 6 O.Clock. Our Asian friend did the same, but without "jeweling" the three gears required to do the transfer.

So your only option is a Gen IWC movement wich is $$$ and requires modifications to the rep casing to be installed.

No easy solution, my choice was to buy a standard rep and wear it until it breaks.

Wriggles

Someone was selling a Concepta franken which got nuked here, but from what I remember it was also on RWI or Repgeek, might be worth checking if you really want it in case it's still available, but was pricey, think about 1500usd.....considering the gen price though certainly worth it.

Concepta frankens are hard to come across

Feck it, that was my 2k post....should have been a more interesting one

Corv99

Mirage would you mind sharing some details on your big pilot please?

Cheers

Giannide

referring to 6 o clock disease...there is no eta movement which resolves this disease?

Corv99
referring to 6 o clock disease...there is no eta movement which resolves this disease?

I think only a jewel modded movement done by someone like Domi ... Which sort of mirrors what IWC have done?

964boy

Unfortunately, there are no ETA 7750 that comes standard with the second at six. The standard configuration is at 9. IWC modifies the ETA 7750 by adding an extra plate to the movement that contains a module which transfers the seconds from 9 to 6 O.Clock. Our Asian friend did the same, but without "jeweling" the three gears required to do the transfer.

So your only option is a Gen IWC movement wich is $$$ and requires modifications to the rep casing to be installed.

No easy solution, my choice was to buy a standard rep and wear it until it breaks.

Cheers mirage, thanks for the info

Someone was selling a Concepta franken which got nuked here, but from what I remember it was also on RWI or Repgeek, might be worth checking if you really want it in case it's still available, but was pricey, think about 1500usd.....considering the gen price though certainly worth it.

Concepta frankens are hard to come across

Feck it, that was my 2k post....should have been a more interesting one

lmibcn, contacted seller, but gone.

has anyone out there got more info for the Concepta creation, they look stunning, would consider trading my minter BK WM9 TT

DSCN0419.jpg

Pseudonym

When I searched for this the other day I wasn't sure if the dial in the TD pics was as good as the gen... Well I now know, and this is yet another IWC added to the list along with the 3714-45 & 3714-46

Thanks for the review OP. Just what I needed

P.

Jason_t_23

Thanks for the review

dmmoroney

Hello Everybody.

I am really hoping to acquire an IWC Portuguese. I have been eyeing them for quite some time. But the more I read about the movement the more concerned I get! I am honestly not knowledgeable, so I just rely on google results. But can someone clarify for me, does the Asian 7750 SUCK? I don't want to drop $300 on a watch and have it be a paperweight in 6 months, lol.

Should I be looking for Swiss ETA movements instead? Although I never see Swiss movements listed with the Portuguese. Perhaps that has something to do with an earlier comment in this thread about IWC customizing the movement? Also, I read that all the Swiss ETA movements flaoting around are all old, refurbs, or combined with Asian parts to make a movement.

Any chance of one definitive answer to this question? I doubt it! lol

higginsd

Just read THIS thread and nearly all your questions are answered.

OK, I'll try for you:

Yes, the A-7750 in the 3714 rep will probably stop (on the way to your house, after a week, a month, a year, who knows...) because of the poor sec@6 mod. Also you can see the poor mod by the jerky sweeping of the small seconds hand at the 6. And no, changing the movement to an ETA-7750 will not solve the problem, because there are no ETA-7750 with sec@6. The only chance is to change to an IWC gen 79350 with the sec@6. And no, not all the ETA-7750 floating around are used/old/refurbished. It is very simple to buy new ETA-7750 e.g. on ebay.

graman

Gorgeous watch...... I love it and have fantasised about this as a dress watch for years.

Will have to make do with going for a vintage ingy.

Love the collection...... Kindred spirit....

From one IWC junkie to another ;)

JSJ

Great review and interesting thread, thanks for posting. That is indeed a beautiful watch. IWCs have become a bit of a theme for me too.

I have the blue 3714-46 rep and it is a stunner. Having bought it dead and fixed that (thread at http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=69834), I am now looking for another dead one - the gold one although I'd like a go at any of them.

I have a WTB thread for a dead one (http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=70064) and if anyone reads this and has one they want to offload, please contact me.

breitling pilot

Hey Mirage Awsome collection of IWC watches. I absolutely love them. Could you share some more info on the BP like who you got it from and how much it cost. Also is the P/R on it working or is it a fixed indicator. Thanks In advance :D

dmmoroney

So what is the highest quality movement I should look for in a Rep if I am looking to spend around $300?

higginsd

I don't think there are differences in quality of the movements in a single type of rep. Even you normally can't decide between and order different movements. In some rare cases you can order an ETA movement instead of the asian movement. But it is cheaper to buy an ETA movement (eBay) and make a movement switch.

If you aren't willing to pay for a gen movement (79350) - which would be something about 800-900$ plus loan for the watchsmith - in the worst case and if you aren't able to perform a mod with graphite powder and you won't pay 300$ for a nice paperweight :giggle: then you shouldn't buy a rep 3714.

Take a look at the IWC BigPilot 5002 or 5004 (both with non-working power-reserve!), at the PilotChrono 3777 or at the PortofinoChrono 3910 if you are willing to pay 300-400$ and get a working rep with a "good" asian movement. All these reps are owned by a lot of users here and they don't have (many) problems with their movements. And all these reps are nearly super-reps because it is hard to find any flaws.