Sign in to follow this  
northcountryboy1976

Rolex service costs

northcountryboy1976

So after asking about the cost of a Rolex service on various forums I decided to bite the bullet and put my Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 in for its 1st service.

It's a 2008 V serial, usually worn most weekends. It has a few scratches and dings from hitting it off door handles etc, mostly superficial or so I thought.

I had expected the £400 odds for the services but didn't really expect the list of extras required.

New crown, bezel insert and crystal! Does anyone have experience with getting their Rolex serviced?

Do they tend to take the piss a bit or are these genuine requirements to service the watch?

Cheers

image.jpg

solkryssare

Hard to say as I've never seen your watch but I guess they take what they can from you. My 16600 is gong in for service next year. Not looking forward to the bill

northcountryboy1976

Its in pretty good condition, or so I thought !

DSC01952.jpg

dasselin

I never were my Daytona gen for that reason I inherited when my Father died. I had it

Serviced and got a nice 850.00CAD bill for it. So now it sits in safe deposit box at the bank

And rarely sees the light of day. I were the rep

fatarms

I had Chris at 10:10 service my 1983 16750. Much less expensive.

northcountryboy1976

I have considered buying the rep version of this. I now tend to wear my DSSD rep more than this gen. Gen deep sea on the shopping list soon though!

Any idea who does a good rep 16600? Might be a good idea to get one for nights out where alcohol is involved!

olly593

Damn you can tell its a Rolex, a new crystal really required? It depends on what you think, personally id tell them to service it, get the stamp like you would for a car then leave the rest if it doesn't bother you, you could always get it done at a later date, or doesn't Rolex work like that? Is it all or nothing?

northcountryboy1976
I had Chris at 10:10 service my 1983 16750. Much less expensive.

Can he get gen parts??

northcountryboy1976
Damn you can tell its a Rolex, a new crystal really required? It depends on what you think, personally id tell them to service it, get the stamp like you would for a car then leave the rest if it doesn't bother you, you could always get it done at a later date, or doesn't Rolex work like that? Is it all or nothing?

I knew the crystal had a tiny chip on outer edge and bezel had a few small scratches but I asked them if possible to do service only. Obviously they have decided these parts need replacing.

I wonder if I can request the old parts be returned to me??

jacobarch

I had my sub serviced about a year ago, Most watch shops will take the smallest scratch and tell you that you need need to replace your crystal etc. You just have to call them and say you just want the service. The required stuff is complete BS. I assume they're doing the work in-house?

northcountryboy1976

No, it's been sent to Rolex, no one in Edinburgh does in house service apparently.

2 year warranty though.

jacobarch

Yes 1010 can get gen parts. he used to be a rolex watchsmith. shoot him an email to make sure tho

Edited by jacobarch

watchnut

I had my Bi Metal Sub serviced at an authorised dealer for £495 which included new crystal and bezel insert, after I purchased it from a friend in really piss poor condition. Best money I spent as it put nearly £2000 on the value when I got it back. Didn't think it was the same watch when I picked it up it was that good. Don't look like theres a lot wrong with yours though.

northcountryboy1976

Yeah it's in pretty good nick, had a few minor dings etc but didn't realise the crown was dented etc

northcountryboy1976

I heard they come back like new? Might have to get a rep version and keep this in safe now!

deju

I'd be happy with that bill on a Rolex.

My uBoats bill just came in at £350! Could buy a 9/10 condition used one for £650. :(

northcountryboy1976

Wow, that's harsh!

YaYoGakk

I had my Tudor serviced at Birks here in Canada and they only charged me $350. The service never specified that anything needed replacing.

northcountryboy1976

Is that a Rolex service centre or an AD doing it in house?

Pharmo

I guess for Rolex it is quite reasonable....to be fair omega prices are similar.

YaYoGakk

Birks isn't an AD for Rolex, afaik. I've never seen one in there anyway. But I would totally trust them with anything.

northcountryboy1976

Did they polish the case and bracelet etc?

YaYoGakk

They may have. Honestly, esthetically it was fine. It was just losing a lot of time.

YaYoGakk

I'll dig out the service slip. This was nearly 10 years ago now. Lol

YaYoGakk

So much for that. The slip is so faded I can hardly make anything out. :-/ pretty sure it was 2005. Think it just says servicing.

Must have used the same ink as used on the Explorers. Lol