JohnG

RWG1: Water Resistance and Reps

JohnG

Okay, so here we go...

It is a lie that you cannot take reps into the water. But as with everything, one must exercise common sense. Replicas are not manufactured to the same standards as genuine watches.

If you wish to shower, swim, snorkel, or dive with your replicas, you should ALWAYS have your rep tested in a pressure chamber for water resistance. That is, if you care about the watch. Many people take reps into the water without realizing any tests whatsoever. They assume the risk that the watch will leak and be damaged. But if you are reading this because your question is, "can I take my rep into the water safely?" the ONLY way to answer that question is to have it tested.

Generally speaking watches with chrono-function should not be placed in water. The pushers cannot be sealed as effectively as a screw-down crown with o-ring. However, some pushers were designed to be water resistant (for example on the Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph) and their repped counterparts share their water-resistant design characteristics. But again, the only way to know for sure if the watch will be resistant is to have it tested. And all watches, especially those with chrono pushers, should be tested each year. O-rings, seals, and gaskets can deteriorate over time.

Below appears a chart that serves as a guide to what resistance ratings correspond to what types of activities. As you will note, a rating of 50 meters does not mean that a watch is appropriate for diving to depths of 50 meters. This is because the ratings guides recognize that the conditions watches are subject to at 50 meters on the wrist of a diver are quite different than the STATIC pressure the watch is exposed to in a testing chamber. One can generate equivalent pressures on a watch, AT THE SURFACE OF A POOL. Slapping one's arms agressively against the surface of the water, for example, can generate extreme pressures at critical points of the watch. Similarly, movement of one's wrist while swiming at a depth of 10 meters can alter the local pressure considerably - either increasing or decreasing the pressure experienced by the watch, according to the type and force of the movement.

So, if you value your watch but would like to take it into the water, have it tested by your watchmaker. A test can frequently be performed for less than thirty or even twenty dollars and could well be worth the peace of mind it will buy you.

img-resistchart.gif

• Like 2

greg_r

And a sticky you shall have. Don't eat it all at once....

1753066328_501b62de33.jpg

JohnG
drum.gif

JohnG

This is actually a nice little guide I did.

:D

onzenuub

Usage Recommendations

The following usage recommendations are suggested by the Seiko Corporation of America:

• Water-resistant to 30 meters (100 feet). Will withstand splashes of water or rain but should not be worn while swimming or diving.

• Water-tested to 50 meters (165 feet). Suitable for showering or swimming in shallow water.

• Water-tested to 100 meters (330 feet). Suitable for swimming and snorkeling.

• Water-tested to 150 meters (500 feet). Suitable for snorkeling.

• Water-tested to 200 meters (660 feet). Suitable for skin diving.

• Diver's 150 meters (500 feet). Meets ISO standards and is suitable for scuba diving.

• Diver's 200 meters (660 feet). Meets ISO standards and is suitable for scuba diving.

Please note that we do not recommend swimming or diving with your watch unless it has a screw-down crown (also known as 'screw-lock' or 'screw-in' crown) and is water-resistant to at least 100 meters.

Care for a Water Resistant Watch

It is not recommended to wear your water resistant watch in a hot shower, sauna or hot tub. The extreme heat causes the metal parts to expand at a different rate than the rubber gaskets. This creates small openings that can allow water droplets to penetrate the watch. Sudden temperature changes are especially harsh. Take care not to jump into a cold pool after wearing your watch in the hot tub.

After swimming or diving in salt water, immediately rinse the watch in a stream of fresh water. If your watch has a rotating bezel, turn the bezel several times while rinsing it. This will prevent salt buildup and corrosion of the bezel ring.

Leather straps can be made to be water resistant too. Generally however, leather straps are more easily damaged by frequent exposure to water. So if you are going to wear your watch while swimming -- think of buying one with a metal bracelet or a rubber or nylon diver strap.

NOW IT IS A USEFUL THREAD

sconehead

That 'powermax' thing has gone to your head Onze, poor John tried to make an informative thread and you poo-poo'd it :lol: ...it's true :gunbandana: ... first you and Greg steal our supporter status and now you are crushing your underlings under your 'buns of steel' :rolleyes: ...where will it end I ask? Peasants, it's time to revolt!!! :gunbandana: Although, admittedly, some of us are already revolting enough... :P

onzenuub

:P :lol:

greg_r

:rolleyes::gunbandana:

These board members are enough to drive one to drink....

:lol: :P

JohnG
Leather straps can be made to be water resistant too. Generally however, leather straps are more easily damaged by frequent exposure to water. So if you are going to wear your watch while swimming -- think of buying one with a metal bracelet or a rubber or nylon diver strap.

One thing that CAN'T be made water resistant however are those stupid fucking dikes...

onzenuub

One thing that CAN'T be made water resistant however are those stupid fucking dikes...

You don't know noooooothing about useful threads, that is up to POWERMAX to know. :lol:

trailboss99

You even crap your own sticky? Jeeeez.

:lol:

RolexAddict

A little bit late contribution as I read this complete only today,

Below appears a chart that serves as a guide to what resistance ratings correspond to what types of activities. As you will note, a rating of 50 meters does not mean that a watch is appropriate for diving to depths of 50 meters. This is because the ratings guides recognize that the conditions watches are subject to at 50 meters on the wrist of a diver are quite different than the STATIC pressure the watch is exposed to in a testing chamber. One can generate equivalent pressures on a watch, AT THE SURFACE OF A POOL. Slapping one's arms agressively against the surface of the water, for example, can generate extreme pressures at critical points of the watch. Similarly, movement of one's wrist while swiming at a depth of 10 meters can alter the local pressure considerably - either increasing or decreasing the pressure experienced by the watch, according to the type and force of the movement.

This is important and absolute true

FBV

interesting!

i only have 2 reps i bring into water ...

GMT II Pepsi the black sub was a no go :thumbsup:

_161florida2008.jpg

Omega SMP

DSCN0001.jpg

imranbecks

I always stick to my own rule of never taking my replicas into the water.. When its time for me to go swimming in the pool or in the sea, I always wear my genuine watch which is currently the Seiko Diver SKX007K...

AllergyDoc

Always safe there.

I wear my WM9 Sub.

AustinTech

I just avoid water completely. Rep or no rep.

Men put their BALLS in pool water. Balls, fellas. You go swimming in ball sweat and butt juice. nasty creatures, you all are. :thumbsup:

And the ocean, well, everything in the ocean is trying to eat you or shit on you. Ewwww.

Balls

greg_r

Men put their BALLS in pool water. Balls, fellas. You go swimming in ball sweat and butt juice. nasty creatures, you all are. :thumbsup:

And the ocean, well, everything in the ocean is trying to eat you or shit on you. Ewwww.

Balls

I never drink water. Fish fuck in it...

dingle

Balls

Aqua-phobia methinks you have :thumbsup:

ImWatchingYOU

Anyone waterproofed a watch with a window on the back where you can see the movement?

KBH

Balls

You got it all wrong. We're eating everything in the ocean. At least trying to.

And dumping all our shit in their world.

gtwc

I once had a Timex that was supposedly Water-Resistant to 30m.

Yep, correct.

Put it within a 30 meter radius of water and the fucker died.

robbnj

Wore my $12.00 Casio chrono to the waterpark 2 weeks ago & beat the pi$$ out of it.

'Didn't even fog up going from cold pool to hot tub & back (though my lumbar now hates me with a passion).

Ya' want to not worry? Buy a G-Shock. EVERY single one is tested in water (after being dropped 3 meters onto concrete) before it's ready for sale.

opus9

Well Mark for $50 adds an additional waterproofing service when you buy from his site. (Only on certain models,check with him first)

WatchMe007

What is sad about all of my newly acquired knowledge is that it has me afraid to take my gen Rolex watches in the swimming pool. Why? Because I may be overdue for a 5 year $500 ass-fucking (service) and the little rubber gasket around the crown might be dry. Rolex needs to lube my watches and my anus every five years, apparently.

Funny, because I had a "Rolex" bought in Mexico, made in China in the late 1980s and I snorkeled in the ocean, swam in pools, showered, fucked in hut tubs, frolicked in the rain...for at least a decade...all over the world... wearing that thing and it never leaked.

So...I am going to take my "never serviced" low-end sub rep a buddy gave me years ago for a swim in my pool in about ten minutes. Why? Because there is no room in the case for it anymore, and I think that the idea that it will leak in a pool is RIDICULOUS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JziCqUc3sk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAWl5edy798

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gijBZ85SiyU

I let it sit for a couple of hours at the bottom. A little less than 10 feet, or 3 meters. Then I let it dry in the hot sun. No fogging.

I feel bad leaving this baby in a drawer. It has the characteristic choppy second hand of a cheaper movement.

But it is as waterproof as I need a watch to be. So much for "don't try this at home" and "barely good enough for rain".

I say a decent rep with a screw down crown is good for pool work until proven otherwise.

WatchMe007

No comment on the above impromptu test?