Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

Nomos Zurich World Timer

LightGeek

I'm tempted. Calculating how many reps I'd need to free up for this one. Maybe as a trade up to the gen Tangente. The price is about $5500 USD.

yja9e5ut.jpg

sy4unaru.jpg

LightGeek

The Movement and Complication

This is the most complicated watch ever produced in the Nomos collection, and is what we call a "real world time watch". The moment you open the box, you're struck by both the beauty of the design, the fit and finish and the elegant way that Nomos chose to engineer the world time complication.

To understand how this watch works, you'll need to add a German word to your vocabulary "Heimat". The word literally translates to "Homeland" but in this context it refers to "Home Time". So, your home time is always indicated at the 3 position which is further enhanced by a red arrow.

The next thing you need to know is the arrow at 12. This arrow is the second time zone indicator, and shows the correct time for that city through the use of a pusher at 2. The trick is to first adjust the watch to your correct home time (through a small pusher at 7) and then use the 12 to see the time zone for the correct city.

In our picture the home time is 10:12 PM (the dial at 3 is just past 22 for 10 PM). The second time zone is also 10:12 PM (the hour hand shows the second time zone which shows 10 for Berlin.) By pressing the pusher located at 2, both the hour hand and the dial will advance to show the correct time in cities around the world. Amazing.

The Case

The late Hannes Wettstein, a renowned designer from Zrich, Switzerland drew up the plans for the case and his studio actually displayed the watch as part of the exhibition Neue Raeume - the leading design show in Switzerland. The case construction is quite intricate consisting of eight parts, and the design is among the most sophisticated that we've seen in a watch.

The Decoration

The movement decoration is in the style of Glashutte, and is beautifully finished and actually incorporates black gold. Since this watch is the flagship of the Nomos collection, everything about this watch is pure class.

The dial is galvanized and white silver-plated while the hands are rhodium plated. The watch diameter is 40 mm and is topped with a domed sapphire crystal with sapphire crystal also on the back to view the beautifully decorated in-house movement. All of this packed in a case of only 10.8 mm tall.

And last but not least - the strap. Nomos watches use hand stitched straps made from Shell Cordovan. The leather is very smooth, durable, water-resistant and extremely long-lived.

stupotseventyeight

I actually bought this from wos a couple of months ago. In the flesh its absolutely exquisite, but I ended up returning. Just too small and delicate for my wrists, and although I wanted to keep it I couldn't justify £4.5k on something I would hardly ever wear. Real shame cos it is lovely. If its your style, you won't be dissapointed.

LightGeek

40mm dia and only 10mm thick. I'm thinking it'll be great :)

stupotseventyeight

Horses for courses :) I think my issue was it was going to join a 45mm PO and a 53mm Uboat.

It really was beautiful though. Even the strap already had a nice patina to it despite being brand new.

Go on, treat yourself ;)

El_Cabong56

Do it. Help us live vicariously.

FuzzyCoyote

Wow, that does look beautiful, and I could guarantee I would never get bored of explaining and showing the functions of it to anyone who was interested.

Keep us updated, lol. (Especially if you decide to sell off any more of your fine rep collection ;) )

ellistyle1

Don't do it! IMO the dial is interesting, but not as interesting as I find the case of the tangente.

On the other hand, I would be interested to see the m2m flood if you were to fund it that way.

watchsean7

Did you ever get this? It is still beautiful.

LightGeek
Did you ever get this? It is still beautiful.

No, I'm actually considering an Ahoi in signalblau... very tempted.

Thelittleprince

Frederique constant blue world timer would be a great alternative and would save you a lot of money!!! Ofcorse someone dug this 2014 post up so it doesn't really matter lol

phone

Frederique constant blue world timer would be a great alternative and would save you a lot of money!!! Ofcorse someone dug this 2014 post up so it doesn't really matter lol

It's been happening a lot lately lol.