greg_r

Movements found in replicas - a quick FAQ

chrish8

This info is brilliant. Great help. Thanks!

yup a lot of the threads in the noob section will help you on your way to the 1st rep. Also make sure you leave an intro post int eh new member sections

xocomaox

I've found this thread helpful back when I first registered, as well as just recently when I got back into reps. So, thank you.

qwertyu12345

compare asian 23j , asian 6497, and seagull high beat , which is better ?

greg_r

compare asian 23j , asian 6497, and seagull high beat , which is better ?

Which is better. Apples or oranges?

Asian 23J could be a Sea-Gull movement, could be something else entirely. Might be great, might not. Usually auto with PR and date complications

Asian 6497 will not be found in the same sort of watch as the above as its hand-wind, with no date and seconds subdial at 9. They're pretty much the most reliable movement in reps, but can't be compared with the above as they're a completely different type of movement.

Joneeboy628

Good works thanks

baselogo

Great information. Thanks.

Flashg81

Brilliant advice for a newcomer, was a bit overwhelmed by the movements and terminology, thanks.

Omar Alberto Mera

Nicethanks for the info

drjeff

BTTT - another fantastic post. I hope folks read this and plan their builds.

:cowboy:

easyeli

Great thread! Thanks!

DonPatrizio

Thanks for the info

JonjonnyB

Very helpful and also a little bit of a head scratcher being a newbie . A post I will be popping back to I think until I get my head round stuff ! Great post....

Jackg1988

Evening gents!

This is a great thread and my first post!

I'm looking at a few watches with the Asia 7750 and obviously read that they were hard to get serviced.

Is this still the case? Are there people in the UK that service these kinds of movements or do I need to be careful to consider this when selecting my movement?

Thanks

greg_r

Yes, the A7750 can be serviced, although parts can sometimes be difficult to obtain. Just bear in mind that the versions with seconds subdial @9 are the most reliable - other configurations are more likely to give problems.

Jackg1988

Thanks Greg! Yeah I saw that about the second dial location but thanks for reinforcing it!! Haha

Jackg1988

Can I ask, if the Asia 7750 has a "fully functioning chronograph", this doesn't neccessarily mean that the minute and hour dials work does it? I've seen a few marked as "Faux" which is fair enough, but what about if it isn't mentioned? Am I right to assume these work also or is it rare to find these in replicas? Or have I got the chronogragh and sub-dials completely wrong?

GenTLe
Can I ask, if the Asia 7750 has a "fully functioning chronograph", this doesn't neccessarily mean that the minute and hour dials work does it? I've seen a few marked as "Faux" which is fair enough, but what about if it isn't mentioned? Am I right to assume these work also or is it rare to find these in replicas? Or have I got the chronogragh and sub-dials completely wrong?

Normally they work when the configuration is one dial for running sec, one for chrono hours and one for chrono minutes.

There are few examples when this is not the case (Omega latest chronos with both minute and hour counters in the same subdial) and in such situation they can't work because the movement isn't designed for that.

In very few other cases (like one version of the Navitimer with the subdials at 3 6 9) they removed the minute chrono gears to have the date wheel nearer to the dial, and that is declared.

BIG GRUNDY

excellent write up...Just what I was looking for. Trying to get a bead on things and this will be essential!

shedlock2000

I just wondered if someone could add some information on the A-3816 Nickel plated?

And I wonder if there could be a quick addendum as to the GMT complications that have been produced -- it may help people who are searching for info on CHS/ICHS questions.

Hudd

Ok. Understood regarding the ETA clones being the only available 6497 choice because the Swatch Group hoards their product. That said... are the TOURBY eta movements from Germany a scam product cobbled together from Asian parts?

GenTLe
Ok. Understood regarding the ETA clones being the only available 6497 choice because the Swatch Group hoards their product. That said... are the TOURBY eta movements from Germany a scam product cobbled together from Asian parts?

If they come from Glashutte and cost more than 40/50k€ they are probably real German movements.

If they cost like 800/1800€ they are pure Chinese ones (see Stuhrling brand for instance).

GenTLe
So something like this is basically exactly the same, or the same quality, as a Seagull 6497 clone ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/genuine-Swiss-Made-ETA-Unitas-6497-1-movement-/152149223622?hash=item236ccce8c6:m:mAw6Xvt84Ad35s-hrhXMGyg

Wait... We are speaking of 2 different things.

"Tourby" for me = tourbillon movement. Like this:

These are movements that, genuinely done in Europe cost thousands of $. For instance the IWC Portuguese tourbillon is around 100k$.

Tourbillon watches that are below 20k$ are necessarily Chinese (even tho recently Tag did a tourbillon watch that costs 16k$).

When speaking about the Unitas... In my opinion there is a bit of difference between the Chinese and the Eta, and I would put it mainly in the balancing of the balance wheel and in the shape of the hairspring which may be better. But these difference if you get a proper SeaGull movement are minimal and for sure I will not evaluate them the 250€ difference in price!

Same can be said for the other 2824, 2834 and 2836 Eta vs Seagull clones.

Hudd
So something like this is basically exactly the same, or the same quality, as a Seagull 6497 clone ?

http://www.ebay.com/...4Ad35s-hrhXMGyg

Wait... We are speaking of 2 different things.

"Tourby" for me = tourbillon movement. Like this:

These are movements that, genuinely done in Europe cost thousands of $. For instance the IWC Portuguese tourbillon is around 100k$.

Tourbillon watches that are below 20k$ are necessarily Chinese (even tho recently Tag did a tourbillon watch that costs 16k$).

When speaking about the Unitas... In my opinion there is a bit of difference between the Chinese and the Eta, and I would put it mainly in the balancing of the balance wheel and in the shape of the hairspring which may be better. But these difference if you get a proper SeaGull movement are minimal and for sure I will not evaluate them the 250€ difference in price!

Same can be said for the other 2824, 2834 and 2836 Eta vs Seagull clones.

Thanks for the clarification. Very helpful.

Manfish

Thank you for the very good write up, certainly helps someone like me who is very new to all this