greg_r

Movements found in replicas - a quick FAQ

wagner

Thanks for your help Greg R!

This article is very usefull for a new member.

morris133

Great information.

Especially pointing out the Asian clone is a good choice compared to spending the extra $ on the supposedly swiss eta movement.

Thanks Greg.

Captain Swoop

What do we know about the ST6D movement?

greg_r

What do we know about the ST6D movement?

Sea-Gull movement, so Chinese made. Low-beat (21,600 vph). 17 jewels. As with other Sea-Gull movements, it's going to be decent quality and should be reliable. Consider it as a slightly upmarket alternative to a 21J

Captain Swoop

OK, I have a new one, so who does Submariner hands that fit?

As far as I can see the diameters are 85/135/20

Hands for the usual 21J are 100/150/17 diameter.

I can't seem to find anyone that does hands with the hole sizes for the ST6D.

Hands for a genuine Rolex Movement seem to be 70/120/20

With a fine enough Broach I could open up hands with a smaller size but I can't shrink hands that are too large.

dalboy

Very informative, answers more than one question i had kicking around in my nut. Gr8 to use as reference when buying.

Cheers. mate.

greg_r

OK, I have a new one, so who does Submariner hands that fit?

As far as I can see the diameters are 85/135/20

Hands for the usual 21J are 100/150/17 diameter.

I can't seem to find anyone that does hands with the hole sizes for the ST6D.

Hands for a genuine Rolex Movement seem to be 70/120/20

With a fine enough Broach I could open up hands with a smaller size but I can't shrink hands that are too large.

Don't know of any Rolex rep that has used this movement, so it's relatively unlikely you're going to find hands...

Captain Swoop

Fair enough. I might as well spend the £10 and get a 21J from Cousins.

sms

Great thread thanks. I've just learned more in 30 minutes than I ever knew I didn't know.

Jan-mj

This was very helpful, thanks a lot!

novasasa

Can somebody please help with some information regarding

Tourbillon movement

specialy: Asian Tourbllon With Working Power Reserve Function and Mannual Wind Tourbillon Movement

kneel123

All of this info makes me not want to buy a replica. I'm currently looking at getting a Panerai Daylight and a Tag Grand Carrera 36 Calibre. I feel like it could just be a waste of money if these movements are just going to break. I don't want to have to ship my watch back to china to get it serviced. I live in NYC, is there anywhere to get a replica serviced here?

thanks,

Neil

dingle

All of this info makes me not want to buy a replica. I'm currently looking at getting a Panerai Daylight and a Tag Grand Carrera 36 Calibre. I feel like it could just be a waste of money if these movements are just going to break. I don't want to have to ship my watch back to china to get it serviced. I live in NYC, is there anywhere to get a replica serviced here?

thanks,

Neil

break?....the only one subject to go to the shits is the seconds at 6 A7750.......

jeffw69

thanks,

Neil

All of my watches are going strong.

I have a bunch of A7750, A7753, Asian eta clone, Swiss eta, 6497, and a 21j.

greg_r

thanks,

Neil

Um - what gives you that idea?

The majority of movements found in replicas are extremely reliable. I've got 35+ watches that work real well.....

Pob

All my watches still work great, and i have few 21J that are more than 5 years old ;)

So don't worry and buy a lot of new watches ;)

onzenuub

All my watches still work great, and i have few 21J that are more than 5 years old ;)

So don't worry and buy a lot of new watches ;)

All your great working watches are belong to me.

Captain Swoop

Well, I got a Noon Sub from Reg and it was losing 5 mins an hour but the second hand was keeping good time, I sent it back and he had it serviced and on test it was showing a spot on beat but was still wonky when I got it back. I got a refund. shame because it was a spot on watch. My other Rolex Rep is a Josh 5512, it went great for a month but now that has developed a fault, it stops every time the second hand gets to 4 and aI have to tap it to get it moving.

So far 2 subs and 2 failures.

Satya

Since one week I own a Submarinier with Swiss ETA 2836-2 movement. There is one flaw either.

Sometimes the movement stops at almost exactly 23:35 when I am wearing it. I have to wind it to

get it running again. Another thing is that the anchor of the movement appears to be spinning

spontaneously, hhat also happens when I wind the watch manually.

Is this know to someone around here?

Member X

Are the hands touching each other or the dial when it stops?

If the rotor is spinning (clockwise?) of its own accord, then maybe the screw holding it in is too tight??

cls or Wiz would be best to answer this question! :)

Satya

Thanks for your replay, I'll shall examine the hands when it happens again.

Member X

Good stuff :)

Feel free to post a 'Help! Movement stopping at same time everyday' thread with good, macro pictures (if you can) and hopefully the movement experts will chime in :)

gribble

Wow. You guys really know your stuff. Very useful thanks

Nev

Captain Swoop

Replaced the 21J movement in the 5512 with an ETA and not miised a beat since.