Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Patek Philippe 5119 Calatrava

_DC_

I'm sure I'm the only person who frequents the Patek section here, but hopefully a few fellow enthusiasts will appreciate this review of my newly acquired Patek dresswatch.

I picked this up on M2M from NYCKID and it is that rarest of things, a correctly sized Patek dresswatch replica!!!!

Usually any reps of the dressier models are fairly poor quality and way way too big (40mm up to about 45mm usually) when the gens are almost all 38mm or under.

Speaking of gens.....

The Gen

The Patek Philippe 5119g "Calatrava"

91ABE101-40B1-4FFC-9EC1-AA7062B34523_zpsqva5d6rt.jpg

The flagship of the Calatrava (and indeed of the entire Patek) range, it's most simple but also most popular model, the 5119 is an updated version of the 3919, and is very similar in appearance but with an enlarged case size from 33mm to a more "modern" 36mm. As well as this the updated Calatrava features a display caseback which affords a nice view of the Caliber 215 PS manual wind movement:

B7757168-C317-4CE8-9D9A-4703188AC407_zpsw1fvdnvy.jpg

The 5119 comes in three case materials, all precious metal of course, it is a dress watch after all, white gold, yellow gold, and rose gold:

831F1280-D014-4062-BBA3-0F9EA81B6BE4_zpsp8hnfi81.jpg

All are beautiful but I definitely feel the white gold is the most "wearable" and most subtle, which is what this Patek is all about, so I couldn't resist snapping this one up having previously owned a rose gold version and found I didn't wear it much. Which brings us nicely to....

The Rep

So let's start with what's not so good.

The movement

As ever, and especially given the display back, the movement is a let down compared to the gen, but then it was always going to be:

DA97ED75-F4F7-4D17-8C6C-E97E58E8F34E_zpsycbjlbrs.jpg

There has been a valiant attempt at decorating the movement with a cotes de geneve pattern on the three quarter plate and balance bridge as well as a Calatrava cross which it really could have done without, but it is no where near as beautiful as the gen. I do, however, completely support the decision to have a display back, as otherwise it would simply be an incorrectly sized 3919, so 10 out of 10 for effort!!

As for the operation of the movement, during winding and when running it is smooth as silk, no complaints there!!!

The strap

The only other let down, and I use that term very reluctantly, is the strap. The reason I say reluctantly is that rep straps are usually awful hateful plasticky things which crack and are very shiny in a bad way, but in this case the strap is soft and supple and a pleasure to wear, which was a real surprise and a pleasant one at that! However, having worn a genuine Patek strap I'm afraid nothing less will ever feel quite the same, and I may end up procuring a gen strap for this lovely watch! Overall if you buy one of these you'll probably be quite happy with the strap, so don't avoid buying one for fear of having you're wrist all scraped up by a nasty piece of faux leather!!!

So onto the main event!

The dial

CEC8A14C-FB4F-48A3-80F0-E53953D0571C_zpsohrlzuxs.jpg

6190CBA9-121C-44E5-B38C-489CF6200970_zpsa4rq3lhf.jpg

94776A20-D0F8-408F-8EE3-CA7CC8646BDF_zpsjkzdgagc.jpg

With its minimalist design incorporating so much white open space, plus the thinness of the bezel, you'd be forgiven for thinking there was a lot of dial real estate going on here, but don't forget it's case size is only 36mm, this is a wonderfully small watch and as such a wonderfully small and delicate dial. So although up close you can see the print isn't as crisp as one might like, you really can't tell in person at arms length never mind third person unless your nose is practically pressed up against the crystal..... and that would be an awkward social situation wouldn't it?!

The seconds subdial at 6 o'clock is slightly too small and slightly too far south of centre, but not so much as you'd notice. Also the hands are a little bulkier than the gen but again we're splitting hairs on a watch that is so small to begin with, the overall proportions as viewed when glancing at the time are perfect!

The case

Onto the case itself, as previously mentioned it's spot on 36mm the same as the gen, hoorah!!! Also in total it is a mere gnats cock thicker than the gen, however the flanks are a greater proportion of this thickness so it appears thicker on the wrist

Gen

6F55691B-3A0D-472E-B29B-4163F0D78FDF_zps1zdjpkfx.jpg

Rep

35F8438F-C385-4A29-B37B-B555F7EB6C1B_zpsm71ezbdr.jpg

The lugs aren't quite right either but a lot of money and design have gone into the gen lugs so we can forgive the Chinese for that. What is superb is the overall finish, the mirror polishing, the sharp defined edges and the superbly executed hobnail bezel, which is such an iconic feature of the watch that it had to be good to pull it off!

17887925-86DC-4DA1-81F1-9F67830A3CB0_zps7tedzzkg.jpg

0A424FFA-C0F8-4CA9-BDEC-507AEDE1EEFD_zpswroeponn.jpg

D91EDBC1-5E6B-4AF7-B84B-B14A90A2AAF8_zpsfs355yqa.jpg

My only minor point here is the casting on the crown, the Calatrava cross is a little misshaped and squished! But as with the dial print, this element is so small you will never notice!

02A3FD25-D049-43A8-910F-41E2CDA9F48F_zpsmhzgntaf.jpg

Summary

It's a fantastic rep, only the movement stops it being a super rep in my eyes, and if like me you love Patek dress watches for their class and delicacy and refinement but hate the fact that all reps of them are huge and cumbersome beasts then you simply can't NOT own this rep!!

Again a massive thank you to NYCKID for this watch and the gold cufflinks he sent with it, and I'll leave you with a rather inappropriate wristie (if there is one Patek which doesn't work with tattoos it's this one, but it's my day off and I'm not putting on a suit shirt just for this review!!!)

B36BDC34-AA83-43E4-B0F3-AB22985CB84B_zpsfq0vxp9q.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed

DC

DR3M3L

Thanks for the great read. To be honest it's far from gen, but it looks like a cool watch though. Wear it in good health!

_DC_
Thanks for the great read. To be honest it's far from gen, but it looks like a cool watch though. Wear it in good health!

Yeah about £11k far from gen, lol, I'd say that was pretty good!!!!

DC

DR3M3L

I don't think a watch with a design that simple can be that far from gen, at least no more so than any other rep, the main problem is the fact it's made out of steel rather than white gold, haha!

DC

I was actually looking at the difference of the side view. Look how nicely the gen is brushed, then looking at the shining polished rep I was like: what the hell went wrong?! :lmao: It's a huge difference, just like the lugs...

IMO many of the reps are closer to the gen then this one, but as I said it's still a lovely watch and I don't want to bring your watch down! It's IMO just not a great replica of the gen.

mrtsumoto80

I agree with Joran, far from gen but looking good!

How much you paid for it?

_DC_

Yeah I kinda get what you mean, I guess in a way the simpler the design appears to be the harder it is to replicate well, especially with Patek, what looks simple very rarely is!!!

It's a beautiful dress watch though, and a fraction of the price!

DC

_DC_

PS: Paid NYCKID the $100 asking price, well worth it if you ask me..... which you did haha!

DC

mrtsumoto80

Damn straight! for $100 bucks it's a solid piece.

I agree the most simple and elegant designs tend to be the hardest to replicate.

FinsburyMan

Thank you for a very detailed review! What a lovely watch :)

Jameslowe1

Nice review DC. I've currently got on on the way from Mary at WI, though in yellow gold. Would you mind telling me the band/strap size at luggs and buckle?

Many thanks in advance.

Doomsday

thanks for the review

_DC_
Nice review DC. I've currently got on on the way from Mary at WI, though in yellow gold. Would you mind telling me the band/strap size at luggs and buckle?

Many thanks in advance.

18 at lugs and 16 at buckle mate, although the rep strap on mine is actually very nice!!

How's your Calatrava with hunter caseback?! I really like that watch, if you ever came to sell it hit me up!!

DC

Jameslowe1

Many thanks in advance.

18 at lugs and 16 at buckle mate, although the rep strap on mine is actually very nice!!

How's your Calatrava with hunter caseback?! I really like that watch, if you ever came to sell it hit me up!!

DC

Thanks very much for that. I'll let you know if I ever do :)

Currently don't have the watch with me whilst at university so therefore I'll be looking to do some work on it during the summer. I've had an issue with the case back closure, so that will the the first thing to address. You may remember also that I was looking at the. Prospect of engraving the movement, well something is in the pipeline for the 5053 and my soon to be 5119. I'll keep you informed, and if all goes well I may be able to do the same for yourself.

_DC_

Many thanks in advance.

DC

Thanks very much for that. I'll let you know if I ever do :)

Currently don't have the watch with me whilst at university so therefore I'll be looking to do some work on it during the summer. I've had an issue with the case back closure, so that will the the first thing to address. You may remember also that I was looking at the. Prospect of engraving the movement, well something is in the pipeline for the 5053 and my soon to be 5119. I'll keep you informed, and if all goes well I may be able to do the same for yourself.

That sounds exciting, I look forward to hearing more about that mate!!

DC

Laparra

Like you reviews bro! And nice watch!

Dr.KUA

Hello. I am fairly new on the site.

I love your watch and cannot find where I can buy one from (I am new and thus unable to decipher the acronym)

Any help would be much appreciated

Also Would you mind sending me few pics of the strap.

Thank you

George.

I love your watch and cannot find where I can buy one from (I am new and thus unable to decipher the acronym)

Thank you

Hi mate, i actually ended up buying this exact watch from DC a few months back, unfortunately the movement died...

However, you can get something similar from a TD:

http://www.trusty-watch.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_205&products_id=1726

Only real differences is it comes on a tang buckle rather than deployant but the strap actually feels decent.

_DC_

Thank you

Hi mate, i actually ended up buying this exact watch from DC a few months back, unfortunately the movement died...

http://www.trusty-watch.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_205&products_id=1726

Only real differences is it comes on a tang buckle rather than deployant but the strap actually feels decent.

Sorry to hear about the movement in the 5119 George, wouldn't expect a simple hand wind movement to go pop!!

I'd be surprised if that watch was still available from TT, it was added to their site in 2007!!

DC

George.

Thank you

http://www.trusty-wa...roducts_id=1726

Sorry to hear about the movement in the 5119 George, wouldn't expect a simple hand wind movement to go pop!!

I'd be surprised if that watch was still available from TT, it was added to their site in 2007!!

DC

I was quite sad.. great looking watch!

Yep, still available, ordered and received a SS version a few weeks ago! Not sure about other finishes...

George.

Just to add, there are a few other differences that i forgot about - the crystal is actually domed on the one i linked to... not sure if that is 'closer to gen' or not. I remember the other one was flat crystal. The case back has much less detail and the lugs are a bit thinner i think.

I'll try and find some photos and upload them here.

Not a bad rep tbh, shame about the movement, looks like shit obviously.

BentleySharp

First of all I would like to say fuck you for having ANOTHER beatiful Patek replica. :D

The first thing I noticed about this rep, that I don't think you mentioned, is the subdial, and how it's flush with the rest of the dial and not sunken. Bonus Points!

The next, is like you said, the good job that was done on the bezel, because, like you said, it's such an iconic part of this and it's predecessor, the Calatrava 3919, that if it were done even slightly wrong it would have ruined the look of the entire watch.

The final thing I noticed were the lugs....yea. The lugs are the only part of this watch that are glaringly wrong. If the factory had spend a little extra time manufacturing then closer to specs, then I reckon this watch would be on it's way to super-repdom, but as it stands they are just too wildly different from the gen. But, you can always take consolation in the fact that most of them will be covered by the strap :)

Anyway, All in all, this is an enormously beautiful dress watch. Perhaps even one of the finest dress watches ever made (second only to the Calatrava 3919 which is exactly the same, but just a touch smaller) :giggle:

I know you'll wear it well.

_DC_

That's good to know, I really want another one of these but I really want rose or yellow gold!

DC

_DC_

Thanks Bentley, although this is a really old thread so I don't actually have this watch anymore!!

DC

SirDennis

how do i get on m2m?

_DC_
how do i get on m2m?

Not by making numerous short pointless posts on years old threads I'm afraid!!

DC