Sign in to follow this  
KBH

Beware of the cable guy

KBH

Last week my friend in Miami had ATT coming to install the Uverse cable package. He put his wife's jewelry box under the bed and picked up his gen Rolex DJ and his WM9 Sub that I got him off his dresser and slid them under his mattress. Well hidden between the mattresses and under a bed cover.

The cable guy came and wandered around the house checking it out for about 15 minutes and them told John that he couldn't install the cable cause the signal was too weak. Well, this was after another cable guy had been out the day before and said it was 100%. The main trunk line is about 50 yards from his house. John pretty much left him alone in the house since he was working on a project in the garage.

So the cable guy leaves and he calls the cable company for the guy to come back again and check the signal which happens the next day. Again he's told the signal is 100%. The second guy never gets past the living room, always in site.

Now after this guy leaves John goes back to retrieve his watches and they are gone. He's crushed (or gutted, as you say). His wife gave him the gen DJ 30 years ago and as you can imagine is very attached to it. The wife's jewelry box is intact.

He's had the police and had the security from At&T both out to file reports but I'm sure he'll never see his watches again.

So don't turn your back on anybody in your house that you don't know well.

I know the first question is going to be about the rep. He said as far as he knew it was real and he bought it from a co-worker several years ago. As far as an insurance claim, it won't matter because the limit on jewelry, unless you have a rider, is less than the value of the Datejust.

trailboss99

Bummer.

Always insure your watches and a small safe is so cheap these days.

One can be got here for 25 bucks that is good enough to stop the casual house breaker.

Col.

JC7

That sucks... thieves are the worst kind of people. I hope he get's what's coming to him!

...lesson learned for us all though... Don't use ATT.

Member X

People take the piss.

I put my trust in Karma, even if it does seem to take a while sometimes...

Baldrick

That's possibly the worst advice you could give anyone....

....what you should have said is:

So don't turn your back on anybody in your house that you don't know well, or even somebody that you do know well

AustinTech

I just don't let people in my house, period.

What a bummer story. Maybe, hopefully, somehow the police can find this DJ. I understand the sentimental attachment, and that can't be replaced.

Baldrick

Of course you don't, AT, you prefer to receive receive guests in your trailer home. :lol:

Pepi

This makes me feel uneasy. I just had Comcast put in our house and this guy was all over our home. What I hated is I had to let him in my music room where all my guitars are hanging on the walls. I sure hope I don't come home some night and they're all gone :D

fakemaster

Never do. Can't trust anyone these days. Don't even let family take a shit without a chaperone. God forbid they find all your rocket launchers and Claymores.

AustinTech

Of course you don't, AT, you prefer to receive receive guests in your trailer home. :D

My trailer home is my home.

I receive guests out-back by the well. If I like them, I let them in the chicken coup. IF I like them.

greg_r

Of course you don't, AT, you prefer to receive receive guests in your trailer home. :D

My trailer home is my home.

I receive guests out-back by the well. If I like them, I let them in the chicken coup. IF I like them.

:)

coolin

yep a small safe as soooooo cheap nowadays bolt it into your wardrobe and your covered, although they not impenetrable they stop the opportunist and make things difficult for the master thief.

col