Sign in to follow this  
snowykim

How much would you pay for a dream replica?

tuna

A soon as I read your post, I went to your joining date and boom! Sure enough, you have no idea what you're talking about. Needless to say you have -15% of knowledge about this "HOBBY"

It is a hobby 'bruh' who ares if it is "still a rep" after some modding? Ami certainly don't. Nor do I care if it costs $500+ ;)

Cheers,

The kid

Obama-Facepalm.jpg

mysterio

I don't have a fixed amount as it would depend on what the rep is of. It would probably not exceed 5-10% of the gen.

cogwatch

Here's the thing, when you start flirting with $1,000 for a rep (frankens', super reps, etc) you're only spitting distance from some nice low-end gens, and even some of the gen chronos that don't have great reps. You can get a Superocean for $2500 and I've even seen some gen Speedmaster's in the $2,500 range. At level, the relative value premise that makes reps so much fun gets less compelling.

For a thousand bucks you can get some REALLY nice gens, used as well ad new: Check out e.g. Stowa and Laco - both brands with a significant history in their rucksack and oozing quality...

Agree 100% -- Right as I found RWG, I was about to get a Laco handwind Pilot. Gorgeous with the blued hands. The IWC Big Pilot just isn't a good enough substitute.

Do it. It's a brilliant watch. And Laco is the only brand out of the original 5 suppliers, that are sticking to the original B-Uhr design from WW2...

If you are into Laco watches, I received the below in an email from longislandwatch.com . Island Watch is a reputable online dealer from which I've purchased a number of watches. There are some very nice Laco watches on the site. I don't know Laco at all so I don't know about the prices at Island Watch, but I've purchased other watches from Island Watch that I know were very good deals.

ffa87ea1274ae26b9f10572d0125adb1_zps88ff05b0.jpg

Prices on Laco watches using Swiss automatic and mechanical movements are about to go up $200 to $350. Buy now to avoid the coming increase!

If you have been wanting to purchase a Laco watch, now is the time. We just received our last order at the old prices. Our next order will reflect the new Laco pricing. Prices will rise $200 to $350 on most all the Laco watches that use Swiss ETA automatic or Swiss mechanical movements. Quartz models and new models using Citizen Miyota automatic movments will not be going up. Although that could change. But, the main thrust of this increase is on the Swiss made movement models shown here in this newletter.

We rarely encourage our customers to purchase a watch based on prices going up. But, the savings are just too great in this instance not to.

1littlegreen

Simple answer for me is that if it is your dream rep...you'll spend the most you can on it. However, to get a decent rep from a TD, I personally don't thnk you need to spend a massive chunk.

The money mounts up when you look at getting mods done to make it more gen like in it's appearance.

They almost become a labour of love.... i'm sure 1littlegreen (and others) will agree with me here.

I think Chrisby is referring to this...

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=70780&st=0

My personal limit, and yes, I do have one as some know, was exceeded this month on one, yes one watch. I will not say which one just yet. The reasoning in my buying habits has evolved over the time I have been involved in the rep game. I have a selection, in Reg's terms, that are "cherry picked" from members, not dealers. I buy from those close to me. I made a couple of mistakes in selling ones I can never see again. Do I regret those sales? No. I know they are in good hands and loved. When I do buy, I base it on the person, not the watch, except when it is an exceptional piece. I wait patiently for it to pop on M2M, and when it does, I grab it. Whatever the cost. When the piece I am seeking cannot be found, I place a WTB thread, and wait. I read the threads and see what others say about their pick-ups from the dealers, when a piece gets many good reviews, I will wait for one on M2M. I avoid many stresses by not dealing with the China Express, and that is a good thing for me personally.

I hope this gives some insight to my buying habits and reasoning for a "no limit" purchase.

nygiants

If I'm building a franken of something that otherwise doesn't exist- $1k. If I'm buying a factory rep- $250 maybe $300 if I'm in love but it better be sweet.

N.Rico

500+

rolexer77

At most US$600 anything more should just go for a gen

Doomsday

500$ for me

<RJ>

Around $500+service

dalboy
$400 USD... and in fact I have sold off my $400 reps. Top cost on a rep in my box right now is probably around $250.

We have several threads going on this exact subject all the time, so you probably won't get much attention here.

Stick around and read. Read the stickies in the Noob section. Read through General Discussion. Pick up on the knowledge around here and then ask all the questions you want.

We are a crusty group, but all with hearts of gold. (OK, not all)

'tis true. I do have a hard of gold...

Yeah ! But are you crusty Ken.? :lmao:

Kleen™

He-he-hehhhhh...(wait; datsnotfunny...b'sterd!)

Hyjynx

I have no "dream replica". However, I'm yet to pay more than $500 for a rep of a dream gen. I honestly can't say $500 is my upper limit for a rep, but I generally mentally ignore reps below $250 unless it's one of Toro's crazy sales. Silly, I know, but a man's gotta have standards. :D

daeffy

My limit is usd500,- INCLUDING a strap replacement when applicable!

More than that and I go gen...

Same here $500 USD is my cap...after that I'd go Gen.

seriph

DREAM REPS - warning. A rant follows

:)

For me, I low-balled in the early days, capping out at around $200 all up. Then I started researching 1:1 reps that I really loved/wanted and were good enough to pass even rigorous inspection. Prices ranged from around $300 to $650 which is a bunch of cash but worth it for me in context of making a buying decision for a lifetime. I built a cabinet to hold my timepieces, their boxes, mb pens, after shaves and collection of ties. Considering the enjoyment this hobby has given me, the cost while considerable, has been over several years and a manageable addiction which even the mrs approves of.

Hope this answers your question :)