Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Man

Vintage Watches...brands to start with

Ice_Man

Just doing some casual research and not looking to make any purchases soon, but I would love to have a great vintage watch or 2 in my collection. I don't mind some wear and for me i like the look; it gives the watch personality. I was just wondering what are some good vintage watches (1950s-1990s) that wont break the bank but still of decent quality. Also where are some good places to look, like ebay?

-Ive been looking at a few vintage Omegas, but are there any other brands that wont kill my wallet in the future?

-TS

PepitoGrillo

Talking about gens I'm not a collector, I prefer to have only one gen and several reps but I won't die (I hope) without owning a nice vintage Rolex.

Heritage!

TheInthusiest

Longines!

Ice_Man

-Ive been looking at a few vintage Omegas, but are there any other brands that wont kill my wallet in the future?

-TS

What's your price point?

Here's a good article from Hoodinke- http://www.hodinkee....hey-are-and-why

I would honestly like to definitely keep it under $1000. Doesn't have to be too fancy, thats why I was looking at the Omegas on the bay. Some decent seamasters for 250-600

nygiants

Longines!

That's true.

nygiants

-TS

What's your price point?

Here's a good article from Hoodinke- http://www.hodinkee....hey-are-and-why

I would honestly like to definitely keep it under $1000. Doesn't have to be too fancy, thats why I was looking at the Omegas on the bay. Some decent seamasters for 250-600

Omega/Longines/Some Vintage mechanical Seiko's. Another member on this forum posted a killer Vintage Glashutte that I believe was in your price range. For the money, I'd go w/ an Omega Seamaster or Glashutte Senator. If you want a diver, go for an older Seiko.

Ice_Man

Longines!

What is longines?

edit:nevermind google helped

Aren

Longines!

What is longines?

edit:nevermind google helped

Google is your friend. :)

Before someone reads your question...Longines is a gen luxury watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longines

You can find vintage Longines on ebay for reasonable prices.

Even older Longines normally run well and keep good time.

If you look at them on ebay, be sure to check that they are running and keeping good time.

:)

Ice_Man

actually just saw a Longines Ferrari that catches my eye but... the band is missing a pin to connect on the 12 side. Would this be an easy fix?

TheInthusiest
actually just saw a Longines Ferrari that catches my eye but... the band is missing a pin to connect on the 12 side. Would this be an easy fix?

I would assume so. As long as it's not needing a "unique" pin, you should be ok!

Kcore

Here are a few manufacturers & models that can be had for $400 - 1,000 USD and keeping in the mid 1950s - early 1960s. Keep in mind that condition, servicing, refinishing will all have an impact on price:

Bulova American Eagle, Bulova Farragut, Hamilton Bradford, Hamilton Sutton, Hamilton Titon, Gruen Veri-Thin, Lord Elgin Direct Read

RUSH2112

Love the idea of vintage but they tend to be way to small for me.

nygiants

Love the idea of vintage but they tend to be way to small for me.

Love the idea of 45mm, but it's way to big for me. Vintage is good for the more tailored wrists among RWG

Kcore

Something you really need to realize is that the size of mens watches of the 1950s is A LOT SMALLER than today's huge watches. 1950s = quarter size generally about 32mm. This is something very important to consider before buying, especially online and not being able to try on first.

All the watches I named in post #14 are this size.

Ice_Man

hmmmm you know the more I think about it, I realize that I want a vintage, but it probably wont be a daily beater so I should probably keep it under $500 and possibly less. I like Omega, I like their look and brand, plus there are some decent prices on ebay

Ice_Man

Something you really need to realize is that the size of mens watches of the 1950s is A LOT SMALLER than today's huge watches. 1950s = quarter size generally about 32mm. This is something very important to consider before buying, especially online and not being able to try on first.

Also realized that too. I have a 7.5 wrist so some of these watches my be too small for my taste

nygiants

Also realized that too. I have a 7.5 wrist so some of these watches my be too small for my taste

If you don't want a dress watch, you could get a diver from the 70's that fits your wrist. Lots of cool looking watches from that decade.

Kcore

hmmmm you know the more I think about it, I realize that I want a vintage, but it probably wont be a daily beater so I should probably keep it under $500 and possibly less. I like Omega, I like their look and brand, plus there are some decent prices on ebay

IMO, Omega from the 1950s and under $500 USD should be looked over with a VERY DISCERNING EYE. Remember the condition of a vintage watch, movt. condition is very important. Repairs can be extremely costly and depending on year, make, model parts can be difficult and costly too.

for me the person/dealer I buy from is key!

TheInthusiest

IMO, Omega from the 1950s and under $500 USD should be looked over with a VERY DECERNING EYE. Remember the condition of a vintage watch, movt. condition is very important. Repairs can be extremely costly and depending on year, make, model parts can be difficult and costly too.

for me the perrson/dealer I buy from is key!

This guy.

He knows his stuff.

seriph

I agree that Longines has real allure - you can get one from the 40's that is similar to the one Bogart wore ... I am looking at them now

Ice_Man

Actually starting to look at the divers more. I know of course there is alway seikos, any other divers I should keep an eye out for?