Sign in to follow this  
Markrfc

Rolex Just Quoted Me £1900 For A Service

narikaa

I always thought it customary to be wined and dined before being fucked up the arse !

Dal.

We all know how easy you are now

How so?

I heard you have to supersize the fries

;)

Daywatch

If You want it to acquire some vintage value in a 3 dozen years from now You can´t make those replacements anyway.... Thx for sharing, it was always a bit more expensive to have an exquisite taste, now they just need to propose changing the caseset and the movement as well...

rusky27

Rolex service - I'm thinking your watch will end up with a similar back story as "Triggers broom" at that rate.

Beefalope

This is one of the myriad reasons I don't feel bad in the least about wearing reps. First, these companies have exorbitant prices on the original cost of the watch, and then they come up with nonsense like this when it comes to servicing the watch. I'd rather bypass these type of bullshit business practices in the first place rather than reinforce them.

Bash64

You should write them and ask what kind of lube they use before they bend you over the barrel.

:daffy:

Expensive Rolex branded lube would be my guess

They don't share that information for free. There is a service charge for that detail, I do know there is LEC on the tube.

mrtsumoto80

Holy Shit...

This guys are taking it a little too far IMO.

That makes me resist the impulse of gen Rollies...

I think I will be sticking to small boutique gens for the moment and a couple reps of course lol

rusty peters

I see service prices rising for many brands. Omega is high but Breitling is still somewhat reasonable. I agree with the resistance to the polishing. The gorillas at the service center are inclined to get every trace of the scratch gone, no matter how much metal they have to remove to do so. I saw a gen Steelfish that came back and you could barely read the engraving on the case back because they polished it so much.

Kwt
Mate is this the the one in St James Square?

My friend got his serviced and it wasn't in the best of nick and they were quoted about £500. The glass was damaged and needed replacing, loosing time etc. I have never heard of a quote so high ever!

Yes st james square problem is mine has some age related marks (28 years old )and wear i call that character or patina they want it too look new at my expense.

I can give you the name of a jewellers that I took my Rolex too based in Liverpool Street. If you ask them to just service the movement it wont be that expensive. I got my totally refurbed though with new glass and polish and it came roughly to £300. The watch has worked magnificently since but whether they used gen rolex parts I don't know. But mine was a vintage watch circa 70's.

J!m

Rolex are by far the worst with this. Omega are not much less expensive; however if you request they retain the original dial and hands for example, they will do that for you. Rolex is "all or nothing", so they either make the watch "as good as new and worth half as much" or "busted and you're SOL". But, if you don't specify "keep old hands" for example, they will replace them if they feel the need. They replaced mine in my PO without me asking them to do that but I was OK with it.

I admire Rolex in some ways, because they are a non-profit, privately owned company, and therefore have no shareholders to answer to and can do whatever the fook they feel like. "If you don't like it, there's the door. Don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out."

We, the people (or rather sheep) continue to pine away waiting on the next great "innovation" (and 904L is no big innovation- how about inconel or something really challenging to machine?) from rolex and pay five figures for a coronet.

I still prefer the vintage Rolex stuff, but the DJ-II is pretty sweet in a throw-back updated-retro sort of way. As soon as they started filling applied markers on sport watch dials they lost the plot. Omega of course stole that idea but at east they are a company that understands customer service (a little bit better). They can be a for-profit company, keep the shareholders AND customers happy and still avoid being the "bad" guy. They are still expensive, but closer to 1/4 what Rolex charges for similar service...

The perception s that a Rolex is the last watch you buy, but the reality is you buy it again and again if you get a factory "service" (better called DIS-service), and that is not right in my book. I EARNED those dents, and if I wanted them removed I would have asked for them to be removed. That's what customer service is about. Quote it high- including all the suggested" service items, and let me deduct services (such as a new dial) that I do not want to drop the price. You sell as much as possible and I spend as little as possible. This is a better scenario than me walking down the road, and quite possibly buiyng a competitive time piece rather than be extorted to fix my 'old' one...

Someday they'll get it, but it won't be in my lifetime that's for sure.

woodtyk

Yikes

Markrfc

Completely agree J!m its blackmail i was told if i wanted a service at £430 i had to spend another £700 or they would not touch it.

Markrfc

And here is the offending item rough as a badgers arse eh?.

D72D12CA-7F82-4384-8414-C3BA44A4159F_zpsxh8qvkyh.jpg

jacobarch

puuuuuuuuuuurdy , just take it to a local that will work on it without all of the BS. You'll have to do some calling around but it will save you the pain of getting anally raped.

olly593

It Looks as Rough as a Chickens Quiff, Ill give you £200 and take it off your hands..... :giggle:

kamma

Its outrageous that they can say that about that watch!!!!!!!!

Must be run by the same people that run the big 6 energy companies............. :wanker: ers love pulling our pants down.

myaz

Are you

Are you sure you don't need a new case and crown as well?

dvdkng

Cheaper just buying 6 more reps...no?

Frankt8242

$3000+ to "fix" a watch that ain't broke!!......And the Rolex assholes wonder why WE exist....???? :itchyandscratchy:

Baldrick
Yes st james square

Is that the Rolex AD with the big glass doors ?

hyster

Rolex build beautiful watches but their attitude to aftercare service is woeful.

Have it serviced by an independent mate and keep the character of the watch intact.

elconquistador

Good deal on the bezel. Can you get a case?

twofake

Who is Robbing gits? He must be a rich man!

elconquistador

Zell it as is and buy a newer one. Bet the difference would be less than $500.

That being said, the last watch I sent to Rolex in the US they were fairly reasonable. $500 for severalminor services including an endlink to a 2 tone sub.

mrtsumoto80

Fuck them, as many other mentioned, just ask around for local watch smiths there are many talented and honest ones around to service your rolex

at the price of Rolex service you could easily buy a freaking awesome brand new Longines or a Brietling Abyss at amazon

racingclub
Fuck them, as many other mentioned, just ask around for local watch smiths there are many talented and honest ones around to service your rolex

at the price of Rolex service you could easily buy a freaking awesome brand new Longines or a Brietling Abyss at amazon

You'd really go cheap and send your Rolex to a local guy who can't get official parts or buy a watch from Amazon instead? Wow... I'm glad I can afford to pay to get it done right!

Take out the bracelet costs and the bits you don't want/need and average it out over the lifetime of the watch.. It isn't so bad..