Sign in to follow this  
TK01

Get a Genuine eventually ? or stick to Replicas

Walesy

When I was 20 years younger I started with a rep Tag. Eventually I was able to get three gen Tags. I find nothing wrong with having reps and gens. I continually enjoy having both collections of gens and reps :)

Exactly...I love my Gen Breitlings but I wouldn't buy a Gen Omega PO for some reason...so I have a rep of that which I do enjoy (when it is back from repair from TT I will enjoy it even more LOL)

I enjoy the rep and Gen thing tbh. However, my bank account says otherwise.

TK01

This shows how good the reps we get are compared to the real thing guys !

TK01

Basically I notice few ppl on rwg had a nice super rep for a long time for example Breitling Superocean Heritage V2 or Superocean 44 none Chrono both. Then after being in this game a while, they end up buying the gen, and either selling the super rep and enjoying the gen or keeping both. So my question is if you have the rep like Superocean 44 none Chrono for 3-5 years. Then one day come across having an oppurtunity to buy the gen from the Athorized Dealer. And end up buying the gen . Do you feel the difference ? Between the rep and the gen ? What's the feeling like ? Do you regret buying the gen even though the rep is so close ? Or do u think wow so glad I had the rep and now I can enjoy the gen ? All opinions welcomed guys :)

StormyNight

I'd never own a "super-rep" then go out and replace it with the gen. The only gens I have and/or want are "rare" or "unusual" stuff.

Everyday stuff like SuperOceans, newer Submariners, Panerai, etc. ; that's what reps are for.

herb

I'd never own a "super-rep" then go out and replace it with the gen. The only gens I have and/or want are "rare" or "unusual" stuff.

Everyday stuff like SuperOceans, newer Submariners, Panerai, etc. ; that's what reps are for.

Kinda agree (but this is totally subjective, there is no right or wrong). As I build my collection, I feel like a super rep is valuable as an artifact because it reflects a type of skill and attention to detail. It is cool to have something that is well made. On the other hand, as I think about which new gens to get (have only Cartier right now) I am thinking it would be cool to have those that are hardest to rep.

TK01

Yea. Getting. Gen is a possibility in a long run for everyone of us on this forum, we just don't know it yet :) I hear the gen somehow feels more solid and it's a different feeling compared to a good super rep.

Seand83

I buy Gen's and Reps. Don't see why I can't have both. I think it's amazing how far the reps have come. Can't wait to see how much better they get. Don't see myself ever giving up reps.

afrowillson

i started with reps about 10 years ago. my first gen was a Rayond Weil Othello i bought off my dad for 'mates rates' 8 years ago. I agree with seand83, nothing wrong with getting both.

mercedesbenz

Personally, I have both - have the Blue TT Rolex Sub that I picked up in 1998 - have a PAM 299 with the additional rubber strap and light blue ostrich strap - then have 4 Rolex reps - to be honest, I hardly ever wear the gens, they sit in the watch box far too much. Enjoy whatever you have and whatever makes you happy, no matter if they are gens, reps or a combination of both.

Markoff

Personally, I have both - have the Blue TT Rolex Sub that I picked up in 1998 - have a PAM 299 with the additional rubber strap and light blue ostrich strap - then have 4 Rolex reps - to be honest, I hardly ever wear the gens, they sit in the watch box far too much. Enjoy whatever you have and whatever makes you happy, no matter if they are gens, reps or a combination of both.

I agree with you...i have gen Semaster 300m and about 6 HQ reps...just wear what you enjoy and have a watch for every occasion...:). Nobody can tell the difference between new NOOB CRPO 42mm and gen PO ;) especially if they are standing or sitting 1m away ;)

TK01

Yes I do agree with the fact wear what makes you happy. I still would live to have a gen breitling

kiikasi

There is a nice titanium Seamaster for 1200 dollars used in a shop in Japan near where I am now that I have my eye on... It really feels wonderful on the wrist and it is incredibly satisfying to wind, so it's really tempting, but I could just get a rep Audemars Piguet Tourbillon for half the price instead... What should I do???

TK01

You should do what makes you happy. I am happy wearing my reps but as time passes I realize. Few of these reps I could possibly choose one and buy a gen one day. The only thing that sucks about gen watches is they cost arm and a leg to service.

anfalas

Yeah, the reason I won't go gen is I really can't imagine ever settling for one watch and I can't see the point of spending that much to share wrist time with reps.

.....and as many others have said the service costs are just outrageous. I'd rather throw the fucker in the bin than pay some stuck up twat £500 or so for a repair or service. That's where reps really come into their own.................

TK01

Yea good point but so you realize some of our favorite reps have Swiss ETA , man I bet when the day comes it will cost arm and a leg to get serviced.

2hot2trot

Atleast you can relax and have a beer or 10 with a rep without worrying too much about accidental damage. :beer2:

myaz

Yea good point but so you realize some of our favorite reps have Swiss ETA , man I bet when the day comes it will cost arm and a leg to get serviced.

Servicing a minute repeater, a tourbillon, a complicated movement with a bazillion parts or some exotic watch that looks like it was built by aliens will cost you.

That said, it should cost no more to service your basic Swiss ETA than a comparable and equivalent "non pedigreed" movement. I would find a different watch smith if they tried to pull the wool over my eyes.

TK01

That's good to hear! I guess the good thing I Swiss eta last a long time

cweiss

I started my collection with gens - but its been all reps for the past few years :-)

lperdido

One day I will buy a gen Omega. The SMP 300 Chrono in titanium. Until then and beyond its reps.

watch204

Bought a Gen Rolex Datejust about a year ago, and definitely feels different. I know a lot of people feel that its ridiculous to spend that amount of money on a watch (and I agree with you), but its all priorities and whatever floats your boat.

I don't regret my purchase one bit, and plan on keeping for a very very long time. I view it like any piece of Jewelry - something that will retain some value, and can even be passed on to future generations.

Just sold my rep collection - I definitely will miss it (and I will continue to love watches just as much). I am really glad I got into this hobby because it made me learn so much more about watches than I ever would if I had just simply started buying Gens. It's given me such a great appreciation for watches, and makes me feel that much more satisfied to own a Gen of something that I really value/am interested by.

TK01

watch204 I absolutely see your point of view and buying a gen is an awesome step, their are few people here that have both gen and reps. but I defintly see what you mean about appreciating the gen and it feels different. I am sure that its a great feeling buying that first Gen, and it does hold value. this is why I love this forum, I will eventually also pull a trigger on a gen, and I am sure it will be great ! do what pleases you. the reason I like getting reps and trying them out is to see how a gen would feel one day. if you purchase a gen and 3 months later you don't like it then your screwed, but with reps you buy it wear it , feel it out. then one day buy the actual gen.

Markoff

Get both, have a holy grail...and wear what makes you happy, buy a watch for every opportunity...Gen sure wears different but my Noob CRPO does -2 sec/day and its 1:1 rep...Today makers make such good watches that you cant tell the difference, except if you take it down or if you meet replicawatchexpert :)...or if you have miyota 8215 with anoying stuttering second hand and bluish AR...;)

Have a nice day everybody;)

UmpaHimself

I plan to add a gen or two but never give up on reps. I just love the fact that Panerai never released the 386, yet there it sits on my wrist. Suck on that Paneristi.

kleber555

Get the gen only when there is no rep of it!