Sign in to follow this  
Vbmrk

Wanting opinions on 2 (gen) pams

Vbmrk

So I've been gen hunting for about 2 months now. I'm trying not to go too overboard as the wife and I just had our second kid a week ago. I'm a huge fan of the 388. Tried it on at the AD, played with the movement, etc. Love how solid and smooth the gen movement feels (especially compared to the rep).

Here's the "dilemma": I've managed to locate a used 388 for about $4.5k in great condition. However I've also located a used 287 in great condition as well for about $3.5k. The primary difference between the two watches is that the 287 has a datemag and a closed cb with eta movement while the 388 has no datemag, open cb, and an in-house movement.

Essentially what I am trying to figure out is, given my situation, is the extra $1k worth it or should I pick up the 287 and pocket the difference?

Curious to know others thoughts.

myaz

You don't want to hear this but PAM reps are so close that's it's about the only brand where I wouldn't spend the money for a gen.

That said, and in view of the above, though the 388 is more esthetically pleasing, I'd save 1K.

The purists will prize an in house movt. but pragmatists will appreciate being able to get more options servicing an ETA.

kayser2705

Instead of save only 1K get the two watches on rep and save almost 4k!!

zinnboy

Instead of save only 1K get the two watches on rep and save almost 4k!!

Yeah!

Vbmrk

I know there's the whole "don't buy gen Pam" mentality. However I'd like to get a rad I can keep long term, change straps with no lug issues, etc. the rep 388 has served me well, but it's made me realize this is a watch that I'd like to have the real thing of.

Having said that, the look of the 287 and 388 is so similar, that I'm not sure it makes sense to pay the extra 1k.

quickdrawmcgraw
I know there's the whole "don't buy gen Pam" mentality. However I'd like to get a rad I can keep long term, change straps with no lug issues, etc. the rep 388 has served me well, but it's made me realize this is a watch that I'd like to have the real thing of. Having said that, the look of the 287 and 388 is so similar, that I'm not sure it makes sense to pay the extra 1k.

I absolutely agree with you. I would go for the 287. But that's just me.

I will not encourage folks to go for reps when someone is decided on buying a gen. But that's just me again. Am prepared to be flamed.

Edited by quickdrawmcgraw

Vbmrk
I know there's the whole "don't buy gen Pam" mentality. However I'd like to get a rad I can keep long term, change straps with no lug issues, etc. the rep 388 has served me well, but it's made me realize this is a watch that I'd like to have the real thing of. Having said that, the look of the 287 and 388 is so similar, that I'm not sure it makes sense to pay the extra 1k.

I absolutely agree with you. I would go for the 287. But that's just me.

I will not encourage folks to go for reps when someone is decided on buying a gen. But that's just me again. Am prepared to be flamed.

I hope you don't get flamed, but I agree with you. Gen decision is totally a personal one. I've seen many gens out there I wouldn't bother wearing if it were given to me for free that others have loved, but that's just how it is.

To my issue, I think I agree with you that the extra money isn't worth it for the 388. I also like the notion myaz mentioned about going for the eta movement and saving money in future servicings.

But hey, I can still be convinced otherwise! :)

hnic

i think that if you decided to buy a gen and spend that kind of money you shouldnt think about the extra or saving $1000

get the one you know you like better

you're spending big money anyway

i know the feeling and couldnt be more happy with my gen and you prob feel the same

if your wife is ok with it buy the one you like the most

quickdrawmcgraw

I checked online for prices of the 287 and the price you say you are getting seem to be extremely attractive. I would say go for it as it looks like its less than half of what you get in shops brand new. I suspect you wont lose even if you sell it off after a year or 2.

Edited by quickdrawmcgraw

Zachthebaker

I liked my mille migla rep.. so much that I bought the gen.. I wear my rep more than my gen because I am afraid to scratch or ding my gen. I kinda feel dumb for spending thousands on it and Chopard reps are good but not as good as Panerai. I personally think you will experience buyers remorse.

nev848

For me it's all about having the Gen. Look at my SOH V2 and my Gen SOH. Side by side you struggle and I mean struggle to see any tells.

But I know the differences and that makes all the difference to me.

If you can afford it then go Gen and if that's the Panerai then wear it well my friend.

Grunge

Buy either one is alright as long as you like it. After the Gen, you can buy all the Reps to make yourself feel even better.

sconehead

...go for the 388 with the in-house P9000 If you're going gen... the Pams with ETA based movements aren't really worth the dough IMHO...especially so when the reps of these models are so close...

Vbmrk
For me it's all about having the Gen. Look at my SOH V2 and my Gen SOH. Side by side you struggle and I mean struggle to see any tells.

If you can afford it then go Gen and if that's the Panerai then wear it well my friend.

I have the v2 as well with gen dw, gen mesh, Swiss sellita and relume. Was seriously considering selling it to pick up the gen, by after toying with the gen at an AD, I just didn't feel the urge to do so anymore.

...go for the 388 with the in-house P9000 If you're going gen... the Pams with ETA based movements aren't really worth the dough IMHO...especially so when the reps of these models are so close...

Unfortunately there's no rep of the 287 (that I'm aware of). But I am seriously thinking of going to the 388 in order to stay with the in-house movement.

Vbmrk
I checked online for prices of the 287 and the price you say you are getting seem to be extremely attractive. I would say go for it as it looks like its less than half of what you get in shops brand new. I suspect you wont lose even if you sell it off after a year or 2.

Well, I'm looking at pre-owned. Don't see the point to brand new honestly. I'd rather let the first buyer take the loss on the depreciation. So long as the watch is in good condition I have no issues purchasing used.

RichardMiami

I am with Sconey on this one. 100% go for the 388 with the in-house movement. It will hold value better over the years, and give you a better sense of value for the money.

Some of this is intangible - but the feeling of a gen with an in-house calibre is amazing. Go for the 388!

greg_r

Yep - and for that reason alone, I suspect that the 388 will be a better long-term investment.

trailboss99

Never really been a fan of cyclops on PAMs so that tells you which way I'd go myself.

adaptive

Essentially what I am trying to figure out is, given my situation, is the extra $1k worth it or should I pick up the 287 and pocket the difference?

Curious to know others thoughts.

Only you can know :)

I'm a big fan of open CB's and simplistic dials so I would have gone with the no date + open cb.

Daywatch

Never would buy a gen PAM without a CG-guard and a CG-lever but that´s just me. Would just check where to service/ how long will it take/ and what´s the cost for the 388 and than probably buy that one if I was in Your shoes. If too expensive/complicated the other one has a good price to.

Vbmrk
Never would buy a gen PAM without a CG-guard and a CG-lever but that´s just me. Would just check where to service/ how long will it take/ and what´s the cost for the 388 and than probably buy that one if I was in Your shoes. If too expensive/complicated the other one has a good price to.

I'm sure servicing an in-house movement would be considerably more expensive then servicing an eta movement.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I'm leaning toward the 388, just gotta convince wifey of the same now!

pilch23

Plus 1 .....Gen everytime (quite simply because you know!)

Vbmrk

Plus 1 .....Gen everytime (quite simply because you know!)

I'm with you, mate. Knowing it's a gen on the wrist is a self-satisfying feeling, especially when you're into these damn watches as much as we are!

Vbmrk

Well, since this thread was the genesis of it all, I'm reviving it to show a quick pic of the end result. I'll post a proper thread a little later today with more pics.

CEF151E1-1A9F-41E2-B097-A54F2E2B530A_zpshwk8fzot.jpg

Banderos

Didn't like any of them,but seeing that photo - how wrong was i. Beautiful