Sign in to follow this  
pjplant

2 watches from silix with problems

pjplant

hi there everyone,

I purchased two omega watches from silix and one of them has dust on the underside of the glass and the other only works intermittently! the orange one was a special and works better of my wrist as when I put it on my wrist it stops intermittently! the black one was 72 dollars and that is the one with dust in it, is there any way I can remove the dust without damaging it? and is there any way to make the orange one work better? I have emailed silix and all they say is to take them to my own repairers!

any help would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

pete

dalboy

Where are you based Pete

Dal.

pjplant

hi dalboy,

I am based in tamworth England,

pete

Del

Pete,

The dust issue should be an easy fix either for you or someone local (de-case the movement and blow away the dust) but the intermittent problem with the other watch is more of an unknown. Have you fully wound the watch say 30-40 turns of the crown? Although it is a mechanical movement, they often need a good hand wind to get them going, then they should stay wound when wearing them.

If the watch keeps stopping then you may need to send it back to Silix - they must accept a faulty watch back for repair but be warned that the whole process could take 2 months or more, plus there is always a slight risk that the watch will go missing in China - this is why many folk try to get things like this fixed locally, even although it will cost to have it repaired. Getting a rep-friendly watch repairer can be difficult though.

pjplant

hi del,

I have wound the watch up but unfortunately it is still stopping intermittently!

I think the inside of the glass needs cleaning on the other watch as its more of a dust smear, I have tried to upload a photo but I don't seem to be able to manage it,

how easy is it to take the watch apart to clean the glass? as I would have a go at doing that myself,

I must admit the fact there is a problem with both watches has rather put me off purchasing any more,

I was not expecting them to be perfect but I am a little disappointed,

thanks again for all of your advice,

kind regards

pete

RussP

What an unfortunate first buying experience for you.

Rest assured that Michelle's sales (and after sales) service is fabulous.

You will have your problem resolved, I'm certain of that.

Just be courteous and patient in communication with her.

All the best,

Russ.

pjplant

hi del again,

I say I have been put off buying any more watches but I have just looked at your collection and they are all very very nice watches but the breitling is absolutely gorgeous,

I know it is probably cheeky but may I ask where you purchased it from?

kind regards again,

pete

pjplant

hi russ,

thanks for the reply,

its nice to know that I hopefully will get the watches sorted,

I am always courteous as being rude isn't polite!

I will email michelle again to see if we can sort it out,

kind regards

pete

simey83

hi del again,

I say I have been put off buying any more watches but I have just looked at your collection and they are all very very nice watches but the breitling is absolutely gorgeous,

I know it is probably cheeky but may I ask where you purchased it from?

kind regards again,

pete

Hi Pete,

Hope you get your problem sorted. And Del's Breitling is genuine :) The yellow version of the rep is excellent but hard to come by these days. Good luck!

Simey

Hornet

Pete, welcome firstly. Secondly don't get put off, I know how you feel as I've been there and it makes you wish you'd never started the whole thing. Take a bit of time to read up about the movements/watches that you have bought and see if anyone else has had similar issues.....

Was the other watch expensive? You've said that one was $72 and do you know what movements are in them? My Pam 312 was terrible for the first month with any power reserve and then I had a go at lubricating the rotor and it has been running smoothly ever since.....

As for repairs; I can recommend Ssteel, who is on here, but he's in Finland. The posting isn't really too much of an issue and he's very good.

pjplant

hi simey,

I thought the breitling looked fantastic,

I don't think my budget can stretch to a genuine one!

I would love to get a good rep of it though,

kind regards

pete

pjplant

hi hornet,

neither watch was expensive, one was $72 and the other was a special at $35 so I haven't broke the bank,

thanks for the repairer info also,

I am trying to get to grips with all the different movements and everything else but there is quite a lot to take in!

I purchased the first watches to get me going,

many thanks again

pete

<RJ>

I still remember the first issue i had with a watch from Sillix in -12, The answer to that email was: take the watch to watch repairer to fix it. Maybe you got the same answer? I hope you have more luck with your next prucase!

pjplant

hi rj,

your right I did get the email saying that! unfortunately I don't have a repairer anywhere near where I live, did silix resolve it for yourself?

may I ask you what watches you have purchased from silix and if you buy from other dealers,

kind regards

pete

Hornet
hi hornet,

neither watch was expensive, one was $72 and the other was a special at $35 so I haven't broke the bank,

thanks for the repairer info also,

I am trying to get to grips with all the different movements and everything else but there is quite a lot to take in!

I purchased the first watches to get me going,

many thanks again

pete

At those prices is it worth sending them back or trying to repair? Probably cost more in postage...

Conex

hi there everyone,

I purchased two omega watches from silix and one of them has dust on the underside of the glass and the other only works intermittently! the orange one was a special and works better of my wrist as when I put it on my wrist it stops intermittently! the black one was 72 dollars and that is the one with dust in it, is there any way I can remove the dust without damaging it? and is there any way to make the orange one work better? I have emailed silix and all they say is to take them to my own repairers!

any help would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

pete

I don't know whether it is something that interests you, but at those prices, you could use this as a perfect opportunity to maybe try a bit of repair work yourself or learn about the inner workings of a time piece. Sorry to hear about your problems though my friend.

pjplant

jpg1_zps6a66cdc9.jpg

hi conex,

this is the watch with the dust in it, I am quite happy to have a go at cleaning the inside of the glass but I could do with a few tips on how to take it apart,

please excuse the size of the photo as I am trying to get to grips with posting photos,

this is the other cheapy watch http://www.silix-prime.so/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_231&products_id=3869 its a nice watch and I just wish it was working properly as I prefer the look of it!

many thanks everyone for replying,

pete

dave47

Pete,

The dust issue should be an easy fix either for you or someone local (de-case the movement and blow away the dust) but the intermittent problem with the other watch is more of an unknown. Have you fully wound the watch say 30-40 turns of the crown? Although it is a mechanical movement, they often need a good hand wind to get them going, then they should stay wound when wearing them.

If the watch keeps stopping then you may need to send it back to Silix - they must accept a faulty watch back for repair but be warned that the whole process could take 2 months or more, plus there is always a slight risk that the watch will go missing in China - this is why many folk try to get things like this fixed locally, even although it will cost to have it repaired. Getting a rep-friendly watch repairer can be difficult though.

True, but I've found if I just call/visit the watchsmith and ask him/them if they would work on rep watches, the response usually is "yes." Just explain to him/them you know it's Chinese made and you won't hold them responsible if they break it. I've found the watchsmiths I've approached are just eager to have your business. Just my .02.

dave

HeavyKrush

Sorry for your misfortune, but I agree with Connex, neither watch is really worth returning. Personally I'd pull the movement in the black watch and clean the crystal from the inside. Very simple chore. See the first part of this tutorial: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=5017

See this link for pointers: http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSchool/WS%2011%20How%20to%20remove%20and%20replace%20a%20watch%20movement/WS%2011%20How%20to%20remove%20and%20replace%20a%20movt.htm

For the $35 watch, I might purchase a new movement just for the experience. Yours is likely a 21J (DG2813). You can pick up one here: https://www.cousinsuk.com/search-results?searchtext=dg2813

Best of luck mate.

Left Coast Guy

Not to diminish the bummer, but it sounds like you bought the two cheapest watches that any of our TDs offer, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that there were issues. I mean, in general, you'd be hard pressed to find any mechanical watch (rep or gen) for that price, let alone one with any sort of dependability. I mean there was a reason it was only $35....

That said -- the smudge sounds like something your stuck with....you probably should have caught that with the QC pics. As for the watch that's not working, I'm sure you can work out with the TD to send it back, but yeah, you're going to have to bear the postage cost and risk sending it back and forth.

Generally speaking, I'm of the opinion that if you can afford to throw away a few hundred dollars now and then, this isn't the hobby for you. For the most part, I've been very happy with the reps I've bought, but about 10% have had issues, and now I'm tooled up like a watchsmith to fix and sort through them -- to me thats part of the fun.