Sign in to follow this  
pjplant

newbie from tamworth england

pjplant

hi there everyone,

I must say this site is great and very informative,

now comes my question!

can someone tell me what the difference is between stainless steel and 316 stainless steel?

I am thinking of buying two watches that are stainless steel from silix from their economy range but was then wondering what the main differences there is between the economy and the quality watches,

I understand that the movements are better but what else is different?

as I don't know weather to buy a few economy or one quality?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

pete

JSJ

316 is a type of stainless steel. Whether you can rely on TDs knowing the grade of stainless is very debatable. They mostly don't even know what movement they are selling it seems.

Go for expensive, not cheap. Main differences in no particular order are bracelet, crystal, dial, hands, lume, movement, case, general feel and quality. Apart from that, they are the same, mostly.

Mariner89

welcome mate ... id say for your first few purchases maybe stick to sub-100 watches from silix or whoever ... get a feel for the flow f ordering and then pick out what you really want ... anyway welcome to the forum

Pharmo

welcome Pete :)

The way I have done it before is added a few cheapies to a high quality watch order. I wouldn't justa cheapie or two as the postage is fairly high.

enjoy what ever you do!

JSJ
welcome mate ... id say for your first few purchases maybe stick to sub-100 watches from silix or whoever ... get a feel for the flow f ordering and then pick out what you really want ... anyway welcome to the forum

Good point but be prepared to learn then sell them on.

Hornet

The second most common austenite steel is the 316 grade, also called marine grade stainless, used primarily for its increased resistance to corrosion.

Jonnybaws

Good point but be prepared to learn then sell them on.

Buy buy buy!

Then Sell to Buy buy and buy again!

It's a marvellous merry go round, it just never stops..

Welcome aboard :D

Hornet

....and welcome to RWG mate from Nottingham.

pjplant

thanks everyone,

is there a difference in the stainless steels concerning how polished or shiny they are?

as you can tell I am very much a newbie!

I am looking at a breitling from silix and was wondering as far as the looks of the watches is there a big difference between the economy and quality watches?

I purchased a tag watch from a turkey holiday 11 years ago for £40 and it still works perfectly and is my main watch at the mo!

I would like to buy a few more now tho!

many thanks everyone

kind regards

pete