Sign in to follow this  
ellistyle1

Ebay BS

ellistyle1

So I sold the watch below on ebay. I churn my collection so it isn't my first go at buying or selling there. It was in working order when I shipped it, but I woke up this morning to an email saying a case had been opened pertaining to the transaction. Buyer says that the time can't be set. He says after pulling the crown out and turning only allows the hands to be turned counter clockwise.

Before responding at all, I see I have a negative PP balance in the amount of the sale. I offered to refund it, but I want to make sure I get the watch back if I do.

So a procedural question and then 2 mechanical ones:

1. If/when I refund this, do you think I'll see this watch again or am I out the watch and the $?

2. Could a watch be damaged in such a way during shipping to cause such behavior or did the dude eff is own watch?

3. Would that sort of thing be hard to fix (assuming a positive outcome to #1?

IMG_1124_zps8f8d5426.jpg

kromp

Can only partially answer question #1.

Paypal is squarely on the buyers side. So you won't really have a chance to deny the refund. I would check his feedback rating and look for any clues that he has defrauded anyone else. That may help your case, but as a seller, you face an uphill battle.

I try to work with my buyers and reach an amicable solution, but in the end, if he sends you back a dora the explorer watch, there will not be much you can do about it. Possibly small claims court, or (very unlikely) criminal fraud charges.

Good Luck. Hope it all works out for you.

ellistyle1

Can only partially answer question #1.

Paypal is squarely on the buyers side. So you won't really have a chance to deny the refund. I would check his feedback rating and look for any clues that he has defrauded anyone else. That may help your case, but as a seller, you face an uphill battle.

I try to work with my buyers and reach an amicable solution, but in the end, if he sends you back a dora the explorer watch, there will not be much you can do about it. Possibly small claims court, or (very unlikely) criminal fraud charges.

Good Luck. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks--I know (and for good reason) that ebay will always be on the side of the buyer. My only contention is that for the $ I refund I'd at least like to get something back for it.

We'll see....

mysterio

If he can make the hands move while turning the crown, isn't that what's called setting the time? If the crown/stem/keyless works had a problem, it wouldn't turn the hands one way but not turn it the other way. It would be neither or both.

69-Watch

Don't refund the jerk! Until he returns the watch! He must return it to get anything from paypal. He must show proof of return also, tracking number etc.. Ebay and Paypal both suck, but you do not have to refund $hit until,watch is returned!,,

ellistyle1

Don't refund the jerk! Until he returns the watch! He must return it to get anything from paypal. He must show proof of return also, tracking number etc.. Ebay and Paypal both suck, but you do not have to refund $hit until,watch is returned!,,

That is good to know. I hope I can work it out this way.

SSTEEL

When returning something mate you need to supply a tracking number in the case files on ebay, and once that tracking number status shows delivered, then you input this into the case detail, and its auto refunded.

ellistyle1

When returning something mate you need to supply a tracking number in the case files on ebay, and once that tracking number status shows delivered, then you input this into the case detail, and its auto refunded.

Thanks--I just got to that point. as this is a new experience to me, it seemed that the dude and ebay were going to end up with both. I just took the next step and that became clearer. I am not out anything else until it arrives back.

Then I gotta figure out if thing thing is salvageable.

black263

When it arrives, video the unpacking. Clearly show the labels and all of the package. Do it with a watch, or clock running in the picture so you can show continuity. Then if you open the box and find a dud, you have evidence to go to paypal.

Squee

I recently sold my lum-tec combat B1 on Ebay, watch was A1 when I shipped it. Got damaged in transport. somehow the dial or movement got loose and when he turned the crown to adjust time, dial went up and down....The guy was cool enough and he sent it directly to lum-tec for repair, he said he was just very happy to get hold of that model.

I always document (pictures / videos / papers) before I ship something, just in case something similar happens to me. If a buyer wants to fraud, at least I have some ammunition to defend myself. Luckily I never had to defend myself and still retain my 100% as buyer and seller.

Before sending refund make sure the buyer provides you with tracking number and make him write the real item description on parcell .

Good Luck !

ellistyle1

I got my watch back. I honestly didn't expect that.

Here is the issue--pull out the crown and turn counter clockwise the crown screws all the way off? Is that an easy fix? Did Mr. Buyer screw me? That doesn't happen in shipping and it didn't leave me like that.

D_Chico

Wow! What a bummer..I don't think that could happen in shipping as long as it was packaged properly, which I'm sure it was..maybe the package was opened and someone at the shipping company messed around with it! Who knows! But at least you got it back, unfortunately at the cost of now having a busted watch and negative seller feedback on eBay and a mark on your PayPal acct..boy you're way behind where you started this whole process!! I hope it all works out for you!! Wish I could help..hopefully someone will be able to fix the watch!(if you don't mind saying) How much were you selling it for?

Good luck buddy!:) Keep us posted on what it takes to fix the watch..

Next time, stick with your friends here at RWG!! ;)

Mike on a bike

I returned watch to seller ebay as he sent wrong links w/ watch as they were in sales pic to make sure he sent and had no others (was 200 + for two new ones!) I did not get money back till he got back safe and sound. Tell him send it back will refund upon reciept.

PS left him good feedback he emailed and thanked me for being so kind , he really thought they were right ones.

D_Chico
I returned watch to seller ebay as he sent wrong links w/ watch as they were in sales pic to make sure he sent and had no others (was 200 + for two new ones!) I did not get money back till he got back safe and sound. Tell him send it back will refund upon reciept.

He did get the watch back..just above my last post he said he received it today.. Just figured I'd let ya know ;)

ellistyle1

Yup I got it back and I refunded him in spite of a watch in a different condition than what I sent it in. I don't know about the feedback yet. It would suck to blemish my 100%...

I'd like to fix the watch itself now though. It all works fine. I just have to set the time counter clockwise. If I turn in the other way the crown screws off the stem. Can I fix that myself or should a professional do that?

D_Chico
Yup I got it back and I refunded him in spite of a watch in a different condition than what I sent it in. I don't know about the feedback yet. It would suck to blemish my 100%...

I'd like to fix the watch itself now though. It all works fine. I just have to set the time counter clockwise. If I turn in the other way the crown screws off the stem. Can I fix that myself or should a professional do that?

My opinion would be have a professional fix it so that you have proof of it being fixed and that way if it breaks again you can just bring it back to the person that fixed and say wtf..also it will give you proof that the watch is in good working order when you put it up for sale! Then nobody can say you sold them a broken watch like the last jerk off that probably broke it himself and figured he'd just get his money back rather than admit it was his fault and fix it himself! But its up to you..at least you'd have some sort of recourse having it fixed professionally! Sorry that this all had t happen to you bud :( hopefully it will be better next time around! :)

HeavyKrush

T, don't you have the option of posting a rebuttal on ebay for the negative feedback? If so, I would post something that totally puts you in a positive light while making sure it sounds reasonable.

ellistyle1

T, don't you have the option of posting a rebuttal on ebay for the negative feedback? If so, I would post something that totally puts you in a positive light while making sure it sounds reasonable.

NOt sure, Greg. I've never been in this spot before. I will certainly do what can be done to mitigate the feedback. I don't even know if I will get negative feedback now that buyer has been made whole at my expense.

Mike on a bike

I do not think you can if dispute was opened by buyer, my seller also said wanted to leave me good feedback as watch sent back A1 but said system would not let him.