Higs

Ebel 1911 Discovery: Gen vs. Rep - pictorial comparison

Higs

I already had a rep 1911 Discovery Chrono that I really like - in fact it's one of only two reps I have left now - but whan 964boy put his gen panda up for sale I just had to have it. My rep had had a couple of changes to it by a previous owner, notably gen ETA (German) day/date wheels and the indwx 'dots' lumed. There are no lume shots in this comparison so the latter isn't really important.

Overall my impression is that the rep is a very good rep but there are a few things to note (in no particular order):

1. most obviously is the fit of the bracelet end links. When I got the rep the screws holding the bracelet on had loosened. This is as tight as I can get the endlinks to fit without mangling the screws. There might be reps out there with perfect fitting bracelets but mine isn't one of them.
  2. the AR is more obvious on the rep. This actually shows more on the pics than in real life. And when the AR on the gen does light up blue, it's as strong as the rep - it just doesn't show itself as often (hope that makes sense)
  3. the bracelet on the rep is pretty good, certainly one of the best rep bracelets I've had but the gen bracelet is different class. The finish, particularly the egdes of the links, and the 'flow' of the bracelet are superb. I could tell the difference between them with my eyes closed.
  4. pushers are marginally longer on the rep
  5. the rep is a little taller - I haven't done any measurements but I think there's a bit in the case and a bit in the caseback
  6. engraving on the gen caseback is bolder and better

OK, onto the pics....

rep is black, gen is panda - in any pic where you can't see the face the gen is on the left.....

IMG_5286.JPG

IMG_5287.JPG

IMG_5288.JPG

IMG_5289.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG

IMG_5292.JPG

IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5297.JPG

Higs

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5303.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG

IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5307.JPG

IMG_5308.JPG

Higs

IMG_5309.JPG

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5313.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

HeavyKrush

No doubt, big difference in the end link fit up. Both look smashing though. Thanks for the comparison.

James.

How awesomely smooth is the gen bracelet. Nice pick up.

TheSav

I always love the side by side comparisons. Thanks for taking the time.

Lovely pick up on the panda. I have the rep and the fit of the end links are my only real gripe.

Mike on a bike

This Rep always been known to be on the money and thanks Higs now I see why. I had heard they stopped making them anyone know about that, also they have a short bracelet had one M2M and would not fit me even w/ all links.

Del Boy

Oh man. I would like both please!

Great comparison. Thanks for sharing.

A Horse

Thanks for the post. Now I really regret selling mine back in the day. Sigh...

Mike on a bike

Horse so I heard right made no more.

Higs

How awesomely smooth is the gen bracelet. Nice pick up.

I don't know what the scale is for 'awesome smoothness' but it's definitely 11/10.

James.

Lol ok, mwell compared to the rep its like butter. Wearing mine today, happy sundizzel!

Higs

... also they have a short bracelet had one M2M and would not fit me even w/ all links.

The gen bracelet is pretty short too. In fact I think they're the same length - from memory I only have one link out of each of them.

cogwatch

Thanks Higs, great review and comparison. I have both a white and black/yellow 1911 BTR, not quite the same but great watches. I have 100 watches and they are two of my absolute favorites. Same issue with the end links not cinching up perfectly tight. Though I have the black one on a black with yellow stitching band right now so not so much an issue. If I was to step up to a gen, of all my reps, I think an Ebel 1911 BTR or DIscovery might be the one. I can absolutely see why you had to have the gen panda!!!

loiidol

WOW nice! Super rep indeed =D

Jagsman

Great comparison lovely watches. Reckon the rep will get any wrist time now the you have the gen?

Thrasher

Fantastic, if you could find one with tighter end links that would be like gold. It is a beautiful watch Rep and Gen.

Higs

Reckon the rep will get any wrist time now the you have the gen?

I'll have to wait and see. When I got my gen Sinn U1 it was a no-brainer - the rep was actually sold and posted before the gen arrived with me> But this is a different watch, black vs. panda so maybe they can live side-by-side?

Jagsman

Hmmmm dunno Higs, I reckon you maybe better sell it (to me)! You are pretty much my M2M watch supplier of choice!

Wear (both) in good health, they are beauties!

NFleischer

DSCN0232_zpse4ceefba.jpgDSC00319.jpg

Like you I have a Gen (black) and 2 rep Pandas, one rubber and 1 SS. I couldn't pass up the rubber version from Toros $150 special.

The bottom picture is older so its hard to see, but the Panda rep stands as one of the best OOB reps ever IMO. True the SEL and bracelet finish is better and the crown

is much better- the reps tend to strip. BTW, the Gens can be found sometimes super cheap at places like Jomashop. I picked up the black one for $1200 on a sale at

Overstock.com.

964boy

Great side by side Higs.

Methinks your panda is in a different class though. ENJOY

RUSH2112

Thanks for taking the time to do this. If the sub is the perfect diver I think the ebel panda is the perfect chronometer. I just need someone to sell me one.......

reximda

Thanks for the comparo.

Have to say, the bracelet on my panda rep is one of the best, smoothest bracelets I've had, gen or rep.

Higs

Hmmmm dunno Higs, I reckon you maybe better sell it (to me)! You are pretty much my M2M watch supplier of choice!

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=84255

edit: but it looks like it might be gone already.

By-Tor

Anyone in the EU wants to get rid of his black Discovery rep or wants to trade it to rep BTR?  (I bought the gen so I don't have use for it anymore).

Cheers.