Sign in to follow this  
Seven7r

A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin rep from TSWatch

NMA

get Vacheron Constantin :)

_DC_

To the untrained eye it may look "simple" but for those of us who aren't interested in oversized flashy heaps of junk, this is pure elegance. The sweeping crown guards, the dauphine hands, class!!!

BD30A751-AD9E-480E-B13F-7B10165391E2_zpsnzolbhpy.jpg

DC

rmbp

Somehow I feel if one gets his first patek no matter gen or rep, it has to be a nautilus. For this reason I would recommend the ALS.

Seven7r
To the untrained eye it may look "simple" but for those of us who aren't interested in oversized flashy heaps of junk, this is pure elegance. The sweeping crown guards, the dauphine hands, class!!! BD30A751-AD9E-480E-B13F-7B10165391E2_zpsnzolbhpy.jpg DC
Do you think (in your opinion) that the ALS is an "oversized heap of junk?"

_DC_
To the untrained eye it may look "simple" but for those of us who aren't interested in oversized flashy heaps of junk, this is pure elegance. The sweeping crown guards, the dauphine hands, class!!! BD30A751-AD9E-480E-B13F-7B10165391E2_zpsnzolbhpy.jpg DC

Far from it, it looks to be a nicely executed and fairly good quality rep, but 44mm is just too big! I've always had issues with the sizes of a lot of the dress watch or "classic" reps. Most of the Patek reps of such watches are over 44mm when the genuines are usually under 38mm (this makes a considerable difference on AND off the wrist)!

Now ALS watches are famously larger than most gens anyway, the gen saxonia is 40mm which is the limit in my opinion for a dress watch, so why they aren't able to make a rep at that size is beyond me, there's a plethora of movements that will fit comfortably withing that size case, it just winds me up! That particular Patek rep, however, is bang on size at around 38mm (I believe) so it's just right, and having owned one the quality is very good also!

DC

Seven7r

Far from it, it looks to be a nicely executed and fairly good quality rep, but 44mm is just too big! I've always had issues with the sizes of a lot of the dress watch or "classic" reps. Most of the Patek reps of such watches are over 44mm when the genuines are usually under 38mm (this makes a considerable difference on AND off the wrist)!

Now ALS watches are famously larger than most gens anyway, the gen saxonia is 40mm which is the limit in my opinion for a dress watch, so why they aren't able to make a rep at that size is beyond me, there's a plethora of movements that will fit comfortably withing that size case, it just winds me up! That particular Patek rep, however, is bang on size at around 38mm (I believe) so it's just right, and having owned one the quality is very good also!

DC

Damn, what you said about the Patek is really convincing haha!

But is 4mm really a lot tho?

Also, the PP has that recessed dial that I really hate, if only they made that flat I would get that watch without question.

_DC_

This is a photo of me wearing two different Royal Oaks, on the left is a 15300 which is 39mm, on the right is a 15400 which is 41mm, that's only 2mm difference but it makes a noticeable difference in how it looks on the wrist...

CE3CAE70-6393-4960-A64B-0524BB3FC2A5_zpsfpc4cguq.jpg

and that's a sports watch with a thick bezel, so it looks smaller on the wrist due to the smaller dial size comparatively. A dress watch is all dial so looks much larger on the wrist to start with, trust me 4mm makes a MASSIVE difference in the watch world!

DC

_DC_

FYI there is a rep of the Patek 5119 without sunken sub dial, how do I know this? Because mine didn't have it...

682F699A-EC1C-4FF9-B8B0-C6FE38DFE3C4_zpstsbrsp0q.jpg

Might be a little more expensive but if it really bugs you then it's worth it, I think I still only paid $118 for this or something, it was a while ago so don't quite remember!

DC

narikaa

Many variants out there

PATEK 1404001.JPG

Seven7r

FYI there is a rep of the Patek 5119 without sunken sub dial, how do I know this? Because mine didn't have it...

682F699A-EC1C-4FF9-B8B0-C6FE38DFE3C4_zpstsbrsp0q.jpg

Might be a little more expensive but if it really bugs you then it's worth it, I think I still only paid $118 for this or something, it was a while ago so don't quite remember!

DC

Oh god DC that Royal Oak hnnngggggggg!

Do you remember which site has the 5119? Because I added it all up and the total cost of the ALS + shipping is around $108, I could maybe still go up to get that Patek.

Seven7r

Many variants out there

PATEK%201404001.JPG

Yeah but that has the date, and the sunken dial, and it even has the rings.

I'm not hating on what you have Narikaa, btw.

Edited by Seven7r

Shaqv2

I would prefer the Lange, but all these things are personal preference.

The one piece of advice I'd give if you are struggling over a twelve dollar difference, is to log off from here and never return. This "hobby" is expensive and by the sounds of it you can't afford it

I'm by no stretch of anyones imagination rich, but twelve dollars would never cause me the concern you seem to be having.

Pick one if you must have one, though if you're struggling to justify twelve dollars, it'd look odd to be wearing something that in gen terms is thousands of dollars. Not that I have an issue with that, but some people feel uncomfortable with it and being questioned over it.

As JeffW once said "buy bread"

+1. The watches you are looking at are essentially cheapies. How much realism do you expect from them? If you are afraid about being called out, I would recommend looking reps whose gens are more in the affordable segment (omegas, brietlings etc). If its a dress watch your looking for, an iwc portofino may be an option for you.

If you are this concerned about realism, I can guarantee you would be disappointed when the watches turn up, as your expectations will be very high. As someone in RWG put it, you need to be in a position to write off the amount of money you invest in reps, otherwise this is not the hobby for you.

BenjaminButton
ALS.

All Pateks are shit

You, sir, need shooting for that comment! Some people have no class!!!

I'd go Patek, but not for the reasons you would think. Visually I actually prefer the ALS, but it's just too damn big for a dress watch, 44mm is obscene for a dress watch (or a sports watch for that matter IMO). So on that basis it's gotta he the Patek. I owned the 5119 and sold it coz I didn't like it, so I have no loyalty, but that was because dress watches don't suit me, BUT if you are after a classy dress watch you simply can't go wrong with a Patek. No other brand has the elegance and class!

DC

Just giving my opinion. You are clearly biased toward Patek although I don't know why.

That Nautilus to me is "Nauseatingly" boring. The Aquanaut is equally depressing, and then there are a host of the simplest looking overpriced dress watches that happen to have Patek on the dial. There are maybe 3 or 4 grand complication watches that are to die for, but they are not at issue here.

Of course you are welcome to an opinion my good man, but you can't claim that "all Pateks are shit" when they are widely acknowledged to be one of the finest watchmakers in the world, that's just ignorant!

Now PAMs, they are shit, hahaha :popcorn:

DC

Patek shit....... Honestly

But then horses for courses. Patek for the man with a classic eye for form following function and Graham's for men who like the look of a feckin show boating hunk of metal more akin to a water pump than a piece of horology.

Just a thought.

plankton

Whats the 32 mean?

15233.jpg

elp
ALS.

All Pateks are shit

You, sir, need shooting for that comment! Some people have no class!!!

I'd go Patek, but not for the reasons you would think. Visually I actually prefer the ALS, but it's just too damn big for a dress watch, 44mm is obscene for a dress watch (or a sports watch for that matter IMO). So on that basis it's gotta he the Patek. I owned the 5119 and sold it coz I didn't like it, so I have no loyalty, but that was because dress watches don't suit me, BUT if you are after a classy dress watch you simply can't go wrong with a Patek. No other brand has the elegance and class!

DC

Just giving my opinion. You are clearly biased toward Patek although I don't know why.

That Nautilus to me is "Nauseatingly" boring. The Aquanaut is equally depressing, and then there are a host of the simplest looking overpriced dress watches that happen to have Patek on the dial. There are maybe 3 or 4 grand complication watches that are to die for, but they are not at issue here.

Of course you are welcome to an opinion my good man, but you can't claim that "all Pateks are shit" when they are widely acknowledged to be one of the finest watchmakers in the world, that's just ignorant!

Now PAMs, they are shit, hahaha :popcorn:

DC

Patek shit....... Honestly

But then horses for courses. Patek for the man with a classic eye for form following function and Graham's for men who like the look of a feckin show boating hunk of metal more akin to a water pump than a piece of horology.

Just a thought.

oooh .... fighting talk :lol:

fusion

Whats the 32 mean?

15233.jpg

That is an excellent question. Based on that number, I would have to imagine it's a watch adjusted for someone residing on Mars and they're a little more than half way through the month.

MikeAlmighty

ALS. That bezel on the Patek looks terrible... to me.

All Pateks are horrific to me. .........Oh wait

enzo260

I like the A Lange and Shone and in fact I think I might get it as well!

enzo260

But Im not sure where youre getting the $88 price?

Gazzla
v6f9tW1.gif

rawbaws

Whats the 32 mean?

15233.jpg

That is an excellent question. Based on that number, I would have to imagine it's a watch adjusted for someone residing on Mars and they're a little more than half way through the month.

I've seen cheap watches like this before. For some reason I think they essentially have two date wheels. One that runs from 1-3 and another that runs from 1-9 so you end up with 39 days on them.

Don't ask me why..

OldOrleans

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone who sees this knows if any TD carry this as TSWatch is no longer a TD. Anyone?

Bwatchful

Got to be the Lange for me! 

narikaa

Gotta be a 2014 calendar for me

RussP

That was a terrible year for me.

Oh wait............no, it wasn't.

I got my divorce on my birthday that year......................ahhhh the memories.