How to order from a Trusted Dealer. Six things all noobs should know

jaychizum

Oh thanks Richard!

Ahopkins1490

Very informative, thank you!

miles4sitt

Thanks for your help

Quickcoupe

Just a quick question, I recently ordered a watch from a TD and all went lightning fast, excellent comms, I got QC pics within 2 days of payment, a pic of my packing slip and also had an email confirming my tracking number(all within 3 days). However there were couple of issues in the QC pics that I pulled and now things seemed to have slowed right down. It's only been a week but based on the initial speed of the comms and initial progress of my order (and similar experiences of others on here with the same TD) it feels that if I'd have approved the QC pics, my watch would have been sent out within a day or so and be on its way now (which is the way this TD seems to work based on reviews on here). However it seems because I have pulled that particular watch, I seem to have been bumped to the back of the que. I may be wrong, but when I emailed the TD for an update I just got a response saying they are awaiting stock from the factory and have back orders to get out and asked for me to be patient. Surely though, the factory had stocks of this particular watch to enable the TD to send me the QC pics within 2 days? Also if they have back orders to get out, then why was my packing slip prepped ready to go and a photograph of it and tracking number emailed to me almost straight away?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the TD for a second as he has replied to all my emails ASAP and has been polite and professional.

I have read and digested the noob advice stickies and appreciate patience is required. I'm just slightly concerned that because my transaction wasn't an easy one (because I rejected the 1st offering) I have now been put in the "naughty boy corner" and will be dealt with when the less troublesome (less picky) customers have been dealt with.

I may be jumping to conclusions but the generic type of response I have now had (which contradicts the initial info I received) just concerns me slightly that I'm going to end up waiting longer than necessary.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on the way TDs work when the initial QC pics are pulled and hopefully this way I'll be more reassured I've not just been stuck in the "pending" pile..

Thanks in advance ;-)

elp

I don't believe you're in the naughty corner (that costs extra :)), just likely that it's taking time to source a watch without the flaws you identified - i.e. TD sends a runner to the factory and asks for "Watch XXX, but with feature YYY and ZZZ taken care of" which takes longer than just asking Watch XXX due to extra QC at source, etc. Plus, most TDs are small operations with the resourcing bottlenecks that entails.

I have had to wait weeks on occasion for a particular model to my specs to be shipped, lately have waited several months for a watch to be repaired (still in transit), etc.

Patience .....

Quickcoupe

Thanks for the insight elp ;-)

I think TBH from reading posts on here I was expecting things to take a while initially and when it happened so quick I was effectively "spoilt" :-) and then got a little bit concerned when things started to slow.

I do appreciate that although these TD's like to give the big impression with their websites etc but they are as you say a small operation with the constraints this brings.

Problem with this IMO is that the big flashy websites with all the bells and whistles tend to make people less in the know think that they are like Amazon, and their order will be sent within 24hrs.. And to be fair this sometimes is the image some TD's like to maintain to look more professional over their competitors ( so effectively they can cause their own issues with over zealous customers)

It was only after reading the noob posts on here that I realised that this wouldn't be the case and hence why my 1st expectation was that it would take some time. Otherwise based on the flashy website, I myself may have been lulled into thinking this was some big Amazon type operation lol.. I think if the actual process of sourcing a watch was detailed either on on their websites or on a covering e-mail after purchase it "may" save the TD's agro in the long run maybe? But that's just my thought..

Anyway I'm sure the TD in question will come back to me ASAP once he has sourced a suitable replacement and all will be well. He has got an excellent rep on here so not overly worried about getting the watch, was just more concerned with how long it would take and didn't want to be "pending" for any longer than necessary

As said though, thanks for the insight , much appreciated

From a grateful noob! :-)

repvar

I feel like every TD should have a sticky in their forum, listing what payment methods they accept and how much they charge for shipping.

Would save people time...if they go through all watches, pick the ones they like, get ready to checkout, and then suddenly find out the only way to pay is via a bank wire transfer.

RUSH2112
I feel like every TD should have a sticky in their forum, listing what payment methods they accept and how much they charge for shipping.

Would save people time...if they go through all watches, pick the ones they like, get ready to checkout, and then suddenly find out the only way to pay is via a bank wire transfer.

The site is here to help you get watches not for you to improve. Not everyone lives in the same country or wants the same shipping. TDs have better things to do than constantly update stickies for price changes. Once you have been here a while you'll know which dealers you like and it won't matter.

jer2911tx
One more useful step may be: check availability before ordering, don't trust the seller's website saying " available-ready to ship", it's not Amazon..

This is pointless I have found.

The dealers don't hold stock, they order only after they have your money, and only once they have ordered from the factory will they find out if stock is available.

I've asked dealers if they will ask the factories if watch 'xxx' is in stock and they have said the factories always just reply 'yes' unless it's an old, not produced anymore watch, heard the same from lots of friends.

I was looking at a particular rep at two TD sites. same details, but pics had obvious differences. so I asked one of them if they had the watch in stock or if they would order it directly from the factory and they said they did have some watches, like this one, in stock. I asked the other TD if they had it in stock or if they would order it directly from the factory (because the pic looked like an old version) and they said no TD carried stock. I told him that's what I thought, too, but a TD just said they had this in stock and could ship it out right away...so that TD had a meltdown and assured me nobody carried stock.

part of the confusion was the language difference, I'm sure, but he seriously had a meltdown

bazzed1958

Your TD was probably having a bad day very few dealers hold large stocks quantities,try Ryan at intime.com he takes paypal,find him at Sister site RWI,get on your PC and check him out. :dingleberry:

Edited by bazzed1958

RichardMiami

@bazzed WTF? Ryan is not a TD here. This is a thread about TDs.

Stephanova

Check x 6

Thanks

titleistap02

This was just what I was looking for. Going to have to study this

schaduwloper

thanks for the tips, this is helpfull

Tinpar

My interpreter agrees.

Rollin Slauson

Very useful information thank you

Rollin Slauson

Great post

firmfroggy

Great guide - thank you!

iggyman1971

Great advice for a noob like me!

MarkRichardson

Just placed first order for a superb looking Sub from a TD. Can't wait for its arrival!!!

AgentTran

Good guidance. Thanks!

RANGER6621

makes sense

Now THAT'S all good 411..

Much appreciated.

Peace,

RANGER

redfire51

Thanks for the tips.

ns1515

Hello All,

im new to the forum and looking to get a solid rolex rep. i see TC is highly recommended. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

leinadhok

Thanks for the guide. Very useful for any noob.