Pseudonym

Comparison: Rolex GMTIIC 116710LN - Rep Vs Gen [PIC HEAVY]

Pseudonym

Overview

The Rolex GMT-Master wristwatch was originally designed in collaboration with Pan Am Airwaysand issued by the airline to their crews on long-haul flights. ("GMT" in the name stands for Greenwich Mean Timenow known as Coordinated Universal Time).[2]The original GMT Master watch has a 24 hour display fourth hand complicationdirectly linked to and displaying the same time zone as the standard 12 hour hand. This GMT hand enabled the crews to set the watch to GMT or another time zone, and using the rotatable 24 hour scale bezel set to the correct offset a second time zone could be read.[3]GMT or UTC is the time zone that is required for all aviation planning, weather forecasts, schedules and other paperwork.

The Original GMT "The Pussy Galore" - In 1954 Rolex produced the 6542. This was the first GMT Master.It was developed on the basis of a regular Turn-O-Graph (Ref. 6202). The modifications were a different bezel and a modified movement.The first version of the Ref. 6542 had a bakelite bezel insert. As this bezel was likely to crack, it got replaced by a metal bezel in 1956.

The bakelite bezel was luminous.

The name Pussy Galore originates from a character in a James Bond movie, wearing this watch.

R21bRolexGMT6542.jpg

the early 1980s the Rolex GMT-Master II was released (although production of the original version continued alongside it until the late 1990s). Although the watch looks almost identical it uses a movement that has the additional capability of an independently adjustable quickset hour hand that can be adjusted to local time without stopping the seconds or disturbing the minutes and 24 hour GMT hand. As the watch continues to feature the rotatable bezel it is able to quickly compute any third time zone reference.[3]

Although the original Rolex GMT Master was only available in stainless steel, as it was conceived as a functional, work watch, Rolex have been making luxury versions in both mixed steel and gold and all gold since the 1970s and there are even exotic variations that incorporate elaborate designs that include precious stones.

The completely redesigned GMT Master II was presented in 2005 (only yellow gold: Ref. 16718 LN) and launched as a 50th anniversary model (all green dial, but later the black dial became an option). At the Basel fair 2006 the steel/yellow gold version (Ref. 116713LN)

116718-Rolex-GMT-Master-II-ZM-G-l.jpg

Compared to it's predecessor (Ref. 16710), the new watch features:

• Triplock crown as compared to the twinlock crown of the old GMTs.
  • Anti-reflective cyclope lense.
  • Green 24-hour hand.
  • Maxi dial.
  • Ceramic bezel (24-clicks compared to 120 clicks). Numbers are made out of gold (gold, steel/gold versions) and platiunum (steelversion).
  • New bracelet: Polished center links, a more solid clasp (similar to the Daytona).
  • New movement: 3186, no new features but some improvements:
  • Hour hand is much smoother and more precise compared to the 3185.New hairspring (Parachrom Bleu), which is less sensitive to temperature variations and less sensitive to magnetic fields. Made out of Niob and Hafnium.
  • Larger case.
  • ROLEX engraving on the inner bezel ring.

The following year, at Baselworld 2006, Rolex released the GMTIIC we all know. Ref; 116710LN - with black dial & black ceramic Cerachrom insert with the distinctive green GMT hand.

l_116710ln.jpg

Foreword:

This is my own gen 116710LN GMT IIC bought in December 2012 brand new from a local AD. The Rep used is a Noob V2 and comes via the courtesy of Baxter - Special thanks to him for providing me with the watch by which to compare.

For reference, where both watches are pictured, the gen will always be on the left, or on top. you'll also notice they are set to the same time give or take an 8th of a second.

Gen:

ZQO7hBx.jpg

Noob v2

337bquE.jpg

First & foremost, what I noticed was just how good the rep was. It's astonishing really. From the weight, the aesthetics of it, to the sound of the bracelet. It all has a very gen feel/sound to it. Very well put together. it was at this point that I thought I really will need to be ultra-critical.

Weight: Suprisingly they weight the same. with the same number of links, & without the use of digital scales (my Mrs only has baking scales) they both came in at 140g.

Dial: Dial on the v2 is crisp. Compared to gen, there is very little difference...

Gen:

PPd7CYV.jpg

Rep:

DjDtVvL.jpg

A note should be mate, that, trying to get the photo composition the same is very hard indeed!!

Bezel & Bezel Insert: The biggest difference here is the colour of the numerals and the depth. The gen is just a fraction deeper, and of course the paint in the rep bezel isnt Platinum. That being said, there isnt a massive difference between them, and as we are looking at this critically, it wouldn't be something anyone would notice unless they had a gen to compare it to.

Gen:

IifjbTf.jpg

1EfTE60.jpg

zSAWISD.jpg

Rep:

RON0lF8.jpg

GJVz9T7.jpg

AT5jWIO.jpg

Crown Guards I was very surprised, given the number of times ive seen posts that claim they are massively different. Overall, there isn't a whole lot between them

Gen:

Vg9LDD8.jpg

Rep:

iEi5HmA.jpg

Together: Remember - gen on left or top ;)

pezWCNn.jpg

cpucLEp.jpg

8h95yTE.jpg

(Excuse the finger prints!!)

Other points:

While I didnt photograph the whole watch, only the parts that would be the bone of contention, I did study them both in detail & made the following observations:

1. The crystal on the rep sits marginally high. This may not be the same for all reps, but this particular one is about 0.5mm too high.
  2. Seems there is no AR on the cyclops of the rep. Not sure if there should be.
  3. Both bracelets are very hard to tell apart. I had to study them both very closely as not to re-install the incorrect one. Only the markings on the inside of the SELS set them apart. They both weight the same!
  4. The case/bracelet takes gen spring bars - & actually has some - same type at least.
  5. the crown on the clasp is almost identical. again, I couldn't tell them apart other than the engravings on the SELs.
  6. The date font on the rep is marginally thicker. not overly so, but definitely thicker.
  7. On the rehaut the rep is line up perfectly. The Cornet at 12, as well as all the X's of Rolex on indices 1-5 & the R's on indices 7-11

In closing, I am very surprised & happy that the rep is as good as it is. Saddened at the same time after spending all that cash on a gen... you win some you lose some I guess.

Furthermore, if the V3 from the Noob is as they say better than this, it'll be one hell of a rep.

Thanks for looking.

P.

simey83

Brilliant. Thanks mate :)

Iz3fuy

Great review, thanks a lot!

Not That Rich

Great review, thanks

_DC_

Awesome review Rob, don't feel bad about spending out on the gen though, the one thing the gen does which the rep never will............ is appreciate in value over time!!!

There seems to be a discernible difference between the text in the dials in terms of quality, and I'm not aware that the gen has any AR on the crystal (accept the cyclops) but the dial looks a lot darker on the gen as though the crystal on the rep is cloudy in colour?!?

DC

Pseudonym

I agree totally that the dial text is thicker.

Not sure mate. IRL I can't see any real difference & trying to replicate photo composition is a lot harder than I expected.

Either way you look at it, it's a cracking watch that isn't quite 1:1 as the claim, more 0.95:1

I'd take that.

Libertatia

Get a gen crystal for that rep. Apart from that I couldn't tell the differences.

_DC_
I agree totally that the dial text is thicker.

Not sure mate. IRL I can't see any real difference & trying to replicate photo composition is a lot harder than I expected.

Either way you look at it, it's a cracking watch that isn't quite 1:1 as the claim, more 0.95:1

I'd take that.

Gotta agree with that, I'm not sure which rep I had but it used to bug me that the bezel numerals were a lot thinner than the gen so I don't think it could have been a noob, I do miss that watch though so maybe I'll have to invest in one of these some time soon!

DC

Monffo

Fantastic. Thanks mate.

baxter

great review Rob ... looks like i'll have to get a new crystal and platinum paint mod and i'll be set !!

I'm surprised that they're the same weight as i always felt this watch to be a tad light compared to a sub c so i guess they are a lighter watch in reality.

Pseudonym
great review Rob ... looks like i'll have to get a new crystal and platinum paint mod and i'll be set !!

I'm surprised that they're the same weight as i always felt this watch to be a tad light compared to a sub c so i guess they are a lighter watch in reality.

Well I had an extra link in my bracelet originally mate, as well as the half link closed. So adjusted it to be the same as yours. Removed a link & opened the half link. Give or take a few grams they were the same.

One other point. I showed the watch around a few of the guys who work for me in the office. All of them own a gen in one form or another. No one picked the gen as gen bizarrely. They all went for the rep.

_DC_

Well I had an extra link in my bracelet originally mate, as well as the half link closed. So adjusted it to be the same as yours. Removed a link & opened the half link. Give or take a few grams they were the same.

One other point. I showed the watch around a few of the guys who work for me in the office. All of them own a gen in one form or another. No one picked the gen as gen bizarrely. They all went for the rep.

Lol, bet that pissed you off, does make me wonder about buying a gen but I think on balance I'd still rather know I was wearing the real thing, plus the financial investment that goes with it, eventually it will become vintage and be worth a lot more!!

DC

Pseudonym

Lol, bet that pissed you off, does make me wonder about buying a gen but I think on balance I'd still rather know I was wearing the real thing, plus the financial investment that goes with it, eventually it will become vintage and be worth a lot more!!

DC

Yes I guess there is a certain solace that comes from the gen... It's a keeper for sure. My long term goal is to replace as many reps as possible with Gens & leave them to my son when I check out.

Still, the here & the now: I'm happy the rep is as good for folks not looking to sink the funds into the real deal. For that money you can't go wrong.

The way I see it, to get this mint you need the following:

Hand stack mod

Platinum paint mod

Gen spec/gen crystal.

That's it.

NFleischer

Great review of a great watch and rep. I know the feeling- I bought a Gen Rad 380 about a month before the rep came

out, also very good and 5% of the price.

dator

Love these reviews... Thanks for taking the time

live1

exellent review bro im going to post these wicked pics on rg

Boycie

Great report Rob, thanks for sharing :)

jjm4a2

Great post, thanks.

Robin195959

Great comparison. In reality any differences in crispness and clarity of text are only visible at close scrutiny perhaps with a loupe.

Pseudonym
Great comparison. In reality any differences in crispness and clarity of text are only visible at close scrutiny perhaps with a loupe.

Completely agree... I don't think there's a person on the planet that could pic out a rep at arms length.

746_heuer

Thanks for taking the time. And dont worry about having spent the money having a good rep. A gen is a gen

sixers_610

The latest noob GMT (assuming this is that) should definitely have AR on the cyclops.

live1

it has ar but noob ar is crap

Edited by live1

scorpion

Most excellent review - gets Scorps seal of approval.

2 well-done-stamp.jpg

1 clap.gif

Rav747

Awesome review!