Sign in to follow this  
elmerlo

GMT Master II "Pepsi" 2014 edition BP factory review

elmerlo

Fell in love with the Pepsi a while ago. I didn't like the old version (mainly for the bezel fonts), but I liked the idea of the two-tone bezel. Still, I wasn't attracted from the Batman, so, when Rolex presented this at BaselWorld this year, the hunt began.

There were already some versions around, but with the blue GMT hand, which wasn't quite right...

As I tried for the first time Aoobuy, I found it listed, three options: 21J, A2836, Swiss 2836. I chose the asian one, for a good compromise of price and hand sweep.

Robbie told me this comes from BP factory, I thought it was a Noob, but it appears Noob doesn't make it yet.

Build is good: the bezel aligns perfectly with the sapphire crystal, everything works as it should: my only doubt is about the bezel. I might be wrong, but it has a very "metallic" reflection. Is that ceramic or aluminum? At the moment, I don't give it a f**k: for a first version, it's a great watch.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, pics galore!

P1020129_zpsde9a346f.jpg

P1020128_zpsb61e950d.jpg

P1020127_zpsc61578b6.jpg

P1020124_zps6052ecaf.jpg

P1020126_zps0363fae8.jpg

P1020125_zps0f4ee6d2.jpg

P1020130_zps4b84e1ad.jpg

P1020131_zps7995e1d7.jpg

P1020132_zpsda66159a.jpg

Mechwarrior

Bello

Banterbay

In one word; Beautiful!

Niles

Nice watch, that should scratch the Pepsi itch for sure.

As for your question about the bezel - the finish reminds me a lot of the bezel on the BP 116613LB and LVc, both of which also had more of a matte finish that was not as shiny as the LN model bezels and resembled the old aluminum finish. I don't know why BP did this as it is not close to gen at all, but that's what they did.

Either way, it's a looker, so enjoy it!

live1

yep aluminium insert on this

agntkerr
BravoCanadalogo_zpsc26bcc08.png

Not That Rich

Very Very Nice, great pics too

KeNnY

I was always liking the PEPSI :)

makes me dream again about the vintage one I wanted to built

6542 BAKELITE.jpg

great review, enjoy the watch mate :)

elmerlo

Nice watch, that should scratch the Pepsi itch for sure.

As for your question about the bezel - the finish reminds me a lot of the bezel on the BP 116613LB and LVc, both of which also had more of a matte finish that was not as shiny as the LN model bezels and resembled the old aluminum finish. I don't know why BP did this as it is not close to gen at all, but that's what they did.

Either way, it's a looker, so enjoy it!

Thanks for the example: let's see what comes around in the next weeks/months, I guess this is some sort of a Beta release. After all the Gen isn't on the market yet...

Rolex claimed titanic struggles to make the blue-red ceramic bezel the right way, saying they had to modify the ceramic at molecular level to separe the colours.

Don't know if this is a PR stunt for an unjustified absurd price or if it's a real problem. We have only to wait for our Chinese friends to work on it :)

And, aa you say, it's a looker, so I don't care ;)

Last but not least...opening it in its (replica) box, well, that was a moment to remember!

Guys, the packaging makes all the difference in the world, trust me, if you have 40 to spare, grab one. Worth every penny.

N.Rico

VERY VERY lindo ,nice pice !

Electron17

Great looking watch, looks like ceramic to me.

themannier

It's a very nice Watch indeed, but, BP factory made the green ceramic bezel of the 116610 LV exactly as this one, with metalic reflect; big mistake from them, !

Libertatia

Nice watch.... First time I've seen a rep box with a cushion that shape... Getting closer and closer to the gen ;-) .... Will be ordering an IWC and omega box from aoobuy soon

mercedesbenz

This is stunning! Very nice - you ordered this from Robbie??

avrahamk1

Actually the bezel insert seems very gen-like, it's depth seems great!

Stunning watch! Enjoy it!

maxwas

Congratulations and thanks for the review. Being a Sub fan I didn't know that much about the GMT and like you I never really cared that much about the black and batman bezels. I have however been quite taken with the ceramic pepsi, but didn't realise it was such a new watch. This review is inching me ever closer to the buy, so cheers!

Niles

The depth is ok, but the engravings are still way too thin. Only the noob 116710LN has come close to the width of the gen engravings. Also, the colors on this one are the bright colors of the old aluminum pepsi, not the darker colors found on the new ceramic model.

Not trying to be a downer at all - this is a really fun watch and I'm glad to see BP making a run at this model so quickly.

Chairman7w

Beautiful timepiece!! Wouldwear/10

solame

the best watch ever, I got myself one from WI a while back.

avrahamk1

The depth is ok, but the engravings are still way too thin. Only the noob 116710LN has come close to the width of the gen engravings. Also, the colors on this one are the bright colors of the old aluminum pepsi, not the darker colors found on the new ceramic model.

Not trying to be a downer at all - this is a really fun watch and I'm glad to see BP making a run at this model so quickly.

You sure got a point! Nevertheless, I do like the depth of the insert, most of those rep bezel out there aren't like that and it does make it a gen-like a bit :)

the best watch ever, I got myself one from WI a while back.

Are you sure? I'm pretty convinced that is a new model that just came out (The rep, yeah?)

Maybe you own a non-ceramic model.

Niles

Actually, a ceramic Pepsi rep has existed for a while even before Rolex announced they would be making one at Basel this year. It has existed as a fantasy model with a ceramic Pepsi bezel and a blue GMT hand for a little over a year now, possibly longer I think. There has been a ceramic coke rep for a while as well.

elmerlo

This is stunning! Very nice - you ordered this from Robbie??

Yes, first order with him: he was great. A review of the order in his feedback section. ;)

elmerlo

Congratulations and thanks for the review. Being a Sub fan I didn't know that much about the GMT and like you I never really cared that much about the black and batman bezels. I have however been quite taken with the ceramic pepsi, but didn't realise it was such a new watch. This review is inching me ever closer to the buy, so cheers!

Same for me: beaten down by the Sub-mania halfway last year, I went like mad after the perfect no-date (still work in progress) and bought one black cheap GMT on M2M. Useful watch when I have to work with different timezones, but, still, not entirely fallen in love with it.

This one, however, has its own right, distancing enough from the Sub and with a good design balance between dial, bezel and case. The black one doesn't stand out like this (and when you look at it you only make comparisons with the Sub...)

SSTEEL

Liking that A LOT!