Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Sellita vs Miyota Nautilus

_DC_

I promised a full and thorough side by side review of these two when the Miyota arrived, so just before packing the SW200 up to send to Fuzzy I got a few pics and here are my thoughts! I apologise in advance if this ends up getting quite long, but hopefully the nice pictures will keep you all entertained, lol!

For the purposes of this review, as SW200 is bloody awkward to type on the iPad, I'll refer to that as the Sellita, and the Miyota 9015 simply as the Miyota. Also in the pictures the Sellita is always on the left and the Miyota on the right.

So while on the subject of movements, as it's one of the main differences between the two, I'll start there! Now I will say that my technical knowledge is limited, so if I get anything wrong please let me know!

4A939584-2051-42A1-99F0-172F250ADCCA_zpspm8ixrb6.jpg

Both movements beat at 28800bph, both have a gold rotor shaped to look like gen and both have decoration of sorts on the bridges. However The Miyota is 24j and the Sellita is 26j (from what I gather the standard SW200 has 25j but an extra jewel was added for the SW200-1 which resides in this watch). The Sellita presents as a far more cluttered and "busy" movement where the Miyota has a cleaner look to it which is more appealing in my eyes and also more like the gen in that respect.

What I will say, having worn the Miyota for a week now, is that it is considerably louder than the Sellita. Any sudden movement and the rotor goes spinning round creating a noise akin to a 21j, not ideal. For the price difference though this is perhaps not surprising.

B80B9FA9-7A80-4323-9B04-18CC91AB5B43_zpsbuhokhjx.jpg

Up close the differences continue, again the winding mechanism on the Sellita comprising several small wheels appears more fussy than the simple single wheel of the Miyota, which again is more similar to gen though obviously a long way from it!

78E3AE9C-085A-40B1-AC97-BD47ABF1A050_zpsfa41uyqi.jpg

As I mentioned both movements are decorated, you can see the Sellita has an alternating combination of perlage and circular cotes de geneve on the bridges, with perlage on the base plate. The Miyota simply has linear cotes de geneve on the bridges and no decoration on the base plate. Both get it a little wrong as the gen has perlage on the base plate and only cotes de geneve on the bridges, but overall again I feel the Miyota movement decoration is closer to that of the gen.

C29335A6-489A-49CB-B165-44B944AFDA32_zpsyu7h1hvu.jpg

Slight difference in escapement size, though again I feel the Miyota's balance bridge integrates more cleanly with the rest of the movement, but both are a long way from gen!

9E4F1EF4-6EE9-4C0F-A689-FE0EC398FAF3_zpskiwbhiwb.jpg

F6F66B74-726A-49DC-9F83-4F8F64D4D2C8_zpsfv5cxi4g.jpg

And last to that gold rotor, synonymous with Patek, it's clear to see here that the finish is far superior on the Miyota, with engraved Calatrava cross and cleaner circular cotes de geneve finish. The attachment of the rotor to the movement is also different with the Sellita having a single screw almost identical to the gen, whereas the Miyota has a larger three screw attachment. I must confess, although it's not very "gen like" I do prefer the unusual three screw attachment!

So for overall quality perhaps the Sellita takes the crown, however aesthetically the Miyota has this one sewn up in my opinion, and given that neither are ever going to compare to the gen in terms of quality it's all about aesthetics in my book. Besides, the Miyota is a reliable movement from what I understand, if a little noisy, so it's not about to fall apart on me..... I hope!

F7EDD0CA-428C-4EF8-B6FD-C56E5FE94E89_zpsbfwymqfc.jpg

Next up, bracelet. Now bear in mind when looking at these pics that the Sellita is a year old with regular wear and the Miyota is only a week old! This might explain the looser appearance of the Sellitas bracelet, as well as the odd scratch here and there! But even allowing for a little stretch, the Miyota has a sharper look, squarer mid links and of course, those all important "gen like" end links.

You can see clearly above how the Miyota's bracelet is actually wider where it meets the case, giving a steeper taper, and the polished mid end link is far wider but thinner meaning it doesn't interrupt that lovely line of shine across the shoulder of the lug!!

2C929624-9457-4812-85EC-EADF349422F7_zpsxantqfpg.jpg

Again a little stretch maybe in the Sellita might explain the looser appearance here, other than that there isn't a lot in it!

B476C985-FC0B-4B73-92D9-07B3E196FAEC_zpsv2svxula.jpg

The dreaded hole in the last link is gone on the Miyota, hooray!!! But also this picture is a good illustration of the difference in the case. The bezel and case back are unchanged, but here you can see the sides of the lugs are more defined, squarer and with a better finish on the Miyota......... anyone see a theme here?!?

5CAB265B-DB07-4D4A-B4A6-34B9BE6D171C_zpstwwmfmzg.jpg

Again not a huge amount in it, perhaps the Miyota is a little tighter in terms of fit, with a few gaps appearing on the Sellita where the case hinges at the crown guards!

3ABFFF66-77CC-417E-AA63-8DEBCBD4FCDE_zpsejn4yr5f.jpg

F5B733F9-BE40-47C1-BA03-18D2016F9CCB_zpsy4rhsmsr.jpg

Lastly to the dial, and perhaps the one area that let's the Miyota down for most people, those hands! How did they get them so wrong? Needless to say the hands on the Sellita are spot on to gen, but the Miyota's are too slim and have an angular end rather than the gentle rounded end of the gen! This really is the only thing stopping the Miyota's pretty face from being perfect! Aside from that the colour as I understand it is closer to gen, a greenish blue rather than the more purple tone of the Sellita, and the trademark ridged pattern is spot on to gen, where the Sellitas is too big with a convex surface. Also the font and text placement is perfect, again due to the pattern being wrong the text placement is out on the Sellita.

Such a shame they overlooked the hands, but wrong as they are, at arms length and without the two side by side you'd really struggle to notice or be bothered by the problem. If anything the slimmer hands lend a more classy feel to the dial, as many people have commented that the Nautilus can appear too "cartoony" for some!

6920648C-C13D-4B7C-9ABD-F83C9BAFE1E2_zps5ed0xnf3.jpg

So overall? Well certainly the Sellita feels a little more solid, is quieter and therefore more "refined" and with correct hands for a lot of people such an obvious mistake might make the Sellita the better choice still, even at the higher price! But for me, the other details that the Miyota has addressed along with an overall superior case and bracelet finish and a movement which, although loud, in my eyes is prettier to look at, it's an easy choice to go with the new kid, save yourself a few hundred bucks and buy a cheapie 21j Rolex or something as well!!!

Last but not least, the obligatory hand in pocket wrist shot of both watches!!!

0E96C63E-1B9B-4F10-8372-CE999E893052_zpskhxgg38u.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed it, thanks for reading and congratulations if you made it all the way to the end :giggle:

DC

SSTEEL

Nice 1 Dave, the Miyota case, and bracelet looks much better.

greg_r

Interesting comparison, mate. Thanks!

yawn

Great review, I will stick with my SW200, I cannot stand for the hand and smaller font on dial.

Stuvetjee

Made it till the end :giggle:

Excellent write up and review! :)_The Miyota version looks much better indeed. Not only in finish but also dial color :) Logo on crown of Miyota is spot on!

Edited by Stuvetjee

goodman

What TD has the Miyota 9015

Nnilswerdna

Good job!

_DC_

Probably all of them, but Trusty, Perfect Clones and Toro all have it on their website!

DC

goodman

Probably all of them, but Trusty, Perfect Clones and Toro all have it on their website!

DC

toro has the 2824. tursty, and perfect clones site seem to be down right now.

_DC_

DC

Lol, you're not having a very observant day today are you goodman

http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=102_188&product_id=1080

:rofl:

DC

Andy73

Terrific write up - and well worth the effort, thanks.

jingo.smile

Very good side by side pics and write up!

Thanks a lot for the effort _DC_!

goodman

DC

Lol, you're not having a very observant day today are you goodman

http://www.torobravo...product_id=1080

:rofl:

DC

Thats it am shutting the internet down for today.

scorpion

I personally don't like this watch much but your review is most excellent, great photos and text. Nice one.

1 well done hat.gif

D_Chico

Great review DC! It was a good read and perfectly done..thanks for taking the time to do this! :)

Dharma

Thanks DC, you are number 1 in Patekology :salute:

i Always prefer Sellita.....

_DC_
Great review DC! It was a good read and perfectly done..thanks for taking the time to do this! :)
Thanks DC, you are number 1 in Patekology :salute:

i Always prefer Sellita.....

Lol, thanks guys, say now I have 2000 posts I wonder if I can change my member title to that, "number 1 in Patekology" :P

DC

_DC_

Haha, yep, seems I can!

DC

Doomsday

Thanks for this, been waiting for the review since you mentioned this miyota version release.

Congrats on the new title also :giggle:

stupotseventyeight

Great review. Thanks for the effort. I know which one I'm getting :)

Pseudonym

Excellent write up Dave. Very well constructed review & analytical without being to bias!

Well done mate! Very good reading & informative to those who seek " the best PP Nautilus" rep.

Bravo!

Mike on a bike

Very well done , I guess the answer is to buy one of each take the hands and movement out of SW and put it in miyota at least for me like the SW movement have a few run great.

Wonder if it will fit......................

WebWind

Very interesting comparison and great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Piccolo

Great review and nice side by sides all the way through... Cheers!

machiavegli

+1... It's cool to watch DC progress to one of RWG's PP resident experts! Great pics & writeup. Why couldn't they get those damn hands right?!?

-Mach

I personally don't like this watch much but your review is most excellent, great photos and text. Nice one.

1 well done hat.gif