Sign in to follow this  
Batespcm

Rolex what am I missing?

Batespcm

I feel like I am not seeing the elephant in the room

Everton else seems to love rolex but I look at them and they just look plain and boring

Noobs bore you experienced heads asking about them but then you guys also seem to love them

So come on people what am I not getting? Am I the only one who doesn't get the rolex thing?

Leigh

yes

hyster

Don't define yourself by what you don't like mate, what do you like?

StormyNight

I like them.

The appeal for me is Rolex is one of the worlds best known brands and has so many iconic models.

Within those models, once you get "into them", there's so many variations to collect; from "No date" to "Date" Subs, COSC and non-COSC models, various models and colours of some... Then there's different dial types, fonts, colours, etc.

And, in "gen land", there's the joys and rarity of "faulty" dials and mis-spellings...

Gotta love Rolex.

I think the main problem in rep-land is that they're often the first watch people GP for and end up with a cheapie. Then they start the voyage of discovery and find lots of other makes.

Cynikal.Mindset

No love for Rolex here either...mostly cuz they are all small

Odyseus

You must like the DSSD??? Who doesn't ?????

StormyNight

Me.

Odyseus

Me.

You are in a big minority then :)

Mattcrx

I used to hate rolex and I was alwyas a breitling man.... And one day it just clicked!! fell in love!!

I can't get enough of them now and Iv gone off breitling...

Me.

You are in a big minority then :)

I'll be honest I don't like the DSSD because it's to big for my wrist.... That's why I would never buy one.

StormyNight

I'm not so sure about that actually. For me, it's the most unbalanced and ridiculous (mainstream) model and just doesn't fit into any "role".

That post was about being in a minority of Deepsea dislikers

Hornet

I came here looking for a Rolex sub and ended up buying a Pam instead, just decided they weren't for me. Got interested in the DSSD for a while but again, wanted to have something different. Have to say that I still want a sub, but now because I've come back to appreciating the classic design.

Mike 1108

I see both sides of this. I've never been a big Rolex fan. I've never liked the date magnifier for one thing. Whenever I see a Rolex, I think "REPLICA" - It's the most copied watch in the world.

With that said, I'm 25 years into my collection (which started with Heuer's in the 80s) and I've started looking for a GMT II. In the end, I don't think you can call your collection complete without trying one.

I may keep the GMT or move on to something else, but the brand has so much history, you have to respect the name.

Like them or not, would the Swiss watch industry be the same without them ? I think the interest would be different without them... TAG, OMEGA, ROLEX - the consumer market is built around those three.

Does anyone have any idea how many replica Rolex's are built every year ? That would be an interesting fact (probably available somewhere) - and the other side of the coin is - Would Rolex be the same without the replica industry ?

So, I would say that the history of the company is worth trying the watch - especially if it's at a cost of $300-$500.

Enjoy.

Mechwarrior

Dssd is the most ugly ^_^

others are very easy to read and quite simple. so very good

Pam otherwise are the best because original concept was made in italy, and we made all better :giggle:

Edited by Mechwarrior

Kemist
I feel like I am not seeing the elephant in the room

Everton else seems to love rolex but I look at them and they just look plain and boring

Noobs bore you experienced heads asking about them but then you guys also seem to love them

So come on people what am I not getting? Am I the only one who doesn't get the rolex thing?

I used to be the same. When i was first into watches, i loved Tag Heuer. To me, it was so sporty, rough, can be worn for both casual and formal occasions. I asked myself: why would someone like a watch with a huge, round and white hour marker, it looks hideous. But after awhile, i started reading a bit more into it and saw more and more rollie watches, i started to love it unconditionally. Its so elegant and classy.

Or i should say: the rolex bug bite me.

Im sure eventually you'll like them :)

GenTLe

Am I the only one who doesn't get the rolex thing?

Nope, you're not the only one.

They are so widely diffused, also between those that know a fuck about watches and just want to have "something expensive" on the wrist, that become ordinary, in my view.

I like some of them, but generally I prefer something less known.

Batespcm

Breitling for me all the way

Didn't get the pam thing either but now I do

StormyNight

I'm a huge Breitling fan too. I've got about 7 I think, including 2 gens. Still prefer Rolex though!

Dawg
Breitling for me all the way

Didn't get the pam thing either but now I do

I used to hate them but can't get enough now!

Stuvetjee
Dssd is the most ugly ^_^

others are very easy to read and quite simple. so very good

Pam otherwise are the best because original concept was made in italy, and we made all better :giggle:

Devils child! :o

Looks like pam is really holding on to their concept everytime because they are such alike :lol:

Callumz

It's amazing how many people out there only know of rolex when it comes to watch brands.

My friend with a couple of gens tells people they are replicas mainly due to the fact that it can cause unwanted attention, a kicking and ultimately getting the watch stolen should you stray into the path of some idiot late at night.

Interestingly if you were to offer a junkie a gen audemars piquet or a rolex I'm guessing they'd probably take the rolex first!

That's not to say rolex watches aren't great personally I love the classic design of the sub! I guess sponsoring a lot of major events such as the tennis has helped then become a household name.

Frankt8242

Many of us evolved into reps from the genuine watch world..And there, Rolex is still king...Once we found out we could easily own a decent collection of fairly believable Rolex reps, we jumped in with both feet...Eventually as our tastes, and knowledge of the horological genre expanded, a lot of us grew tired of Rolex, and branched out into Omega, Pam, Briet, and (shudder) Hublot etc...

I am wearing my 5 year old Rolex Ex2, Mcqueen recently, because it keeps almost quartz like time, and I just don't feel like changing it right now for one of my dozens of other reps...

But as far as Rolex as a brand, I have only kept 2 in my box, the McQ, and an old no cg "Bond" sub...I have over the years owned dozens of others, but not any more..

Batespcm

Didn't expect this to spark so much debate

I am not doubting they are quality watches but the design is hardly groundbreaking I guess it's like bose in the world of sound who also have am excellent marketing department when maybe the product doesn't match

Mechwarrior

Devils child! :o

Looks like pam is really holding on to their concept everytime because they are such alike :lol:

yep whe made the "antesignanus" .........now swiss can only copy the beauty italian create :giggle:

UmpaHimself

I think part of the generic-ness or tiredness of Rolex comes from it's overuse. It has probably been one of the most popular brands of the last 70+ years. A large amount of distaste I had for fluted bezel day dates or datejusts came from seeing tired 70's thugs wearing them in all gold in every villain role ever. The sub is worn on every wrist from a poor man that has saved for years to get his prize watch, to rich playboys who desire the iconic timepiece. I know for a fact that Led Zepplin's Stairway to Heaven is a masterful rock song that holds a strong place in music history but if I hear it one more time I may kill someone, or myself, or both. :lol:

That being said the sub is one of my favorite watches of all time and after being on this forum I have a great appreciation for Datejusts and Day Dates of all kinds. If I were going to go buy a ten tomorrow it would be a hard choice between a ceramic sub and a PAM351. My point being that I can understand being underwhelmed by Rolex but I don't think it has anything to do with their design. You just may be tired of seeing them.

RichardMiami

Nope. Been there, done that. Had many Rollie reps pass through my hands over the years. Now, between all of my reps and my gens, the closest I get to a Rolex is my Tudor BB.

They do nothing for me aesthetically.

It is true that the Submariner is an iconic watch. It is also true that it is copied by every watch manufacturer that is, was and ever will be. That design is a common as crab grass in South Florida.

The nice thing about this hobby, and hobbies like this, is that we can all entertain our individual tastes and pay no attention to anyone else! :)