Sign in to follow this  
bosko

Some thoughts on the age old noobs vs experts issue

DR3M3L

Am I a noob?

Yes!

Why because I am not a post-count whore? :)

Again, yes! If you've read enough you already knew the answer.....

Squee
5. NOOBS SUBSIDISE YOUR WATCHES. Noobs are the lifeblood of this hobby. Their one off or yearly or whatever purchases make it possible for the hard working TDs to turn a profit. Without the noobs, catering to the hardcore only might not make financial sense to our beloved TDs. No noobs could mean no TDs.

there-is-no-noob.png

Did you take the red or blue pill ?

DR3M3L
5. NOOBS SUBSIDISE YOUR WATCHES. Noobs are the lifeblood of this hobby. Their one off or yearly or whatever purchases make it possible for the hard working TDs to turn a profit. Without the noobs, catering to the hardcore only might not make financial sense to our beloved TDs. No noobs could mean no TDs.

there-is-no-noob.png

Did you take the red or blue pill ?

ALWAYS go yellow, those are much better :thumbsup:

Baldrick

'Noob'......... or the state of noobness is a euphemism for cranially challenged / intellectually bereft ( insert choice here stupid / cretinous or those who are abbessive of logic / humour and or reason, nous :B):

LightGeek

I'm a noob, hear me roar.

ag69

'Noob'......... or the state of noobness is a euphemism for cranially challenged / intellectually bereft ( insert choice here stupid / cretinous or those who are abbessive of logic / humour and or reason, nous :B):

I thought noob was a factory that makes reps!! :giggle:

Fletchett

Am I a noob?

Yes!

Why because I am not a post-count whore? :)

Again, yes! If you've read enough you already knew the answer.....

I have read enough and I know there is a region in post-count where people can be questioned about their sanity.

You are way passed that line sir, you have sailed through the "No return" flag.

Statements from you must handled with extreme caution, carved into stone and preserved to the future generations.

Well after all good to be noob, one letter from boob. :)

Baldrick

You don't understand the distinction between a factory and an individual, which category of noobness are you hoping to graduate from this semester :B):

dasselin

Noob, not noob, pseudo experts, experts. Who the hell really cares? I for one don’t. I enjoy the place.

It-s a fun and very entertaining place to be. Has for the bashing part, I don’t go into it regardless of

What the issue is. It-s just not classy to bash someone who is not facing you in person. Has for post

Counts, I have been here for give or take 2 years now and I don’t put any value in it.

There is one thing that I find annoying, and that is when a new guy(Noob) starts arguing with moderators

Or members that have more experience. That to me is not classy and warrants a good bashing.

My 2 cents

Amicalement

Dan

court

Rather be seen (edit typo) as new person on the forum than an expert any way.

As has been said noobness is a state of mind and not related to being new to the forum.

Noobs ask stupid questions and over react to answers they don't like.

New people on the forum should know they are new and ask things respectfully marking themselves out as different from the common or garden noob IMHO.

Remember though an "Ex" is a has been and a "spert" is a drip under pressure.

;-)

hotbird90

Hear, hear..

Much Doge

I agree with most of your points, but at the same time that's life. The main reason people bash noobs here is that it's entertaining, otherwise they'd just ignore them! It's not gonna change unfortunately!

As far as "experts" go, don't tarnish all with the same brush. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call myself an expert but certainly an awful lot of members, noobs and experienced alike, come to me for advice and opinions on Patek reps, and I'm always courteous and helpful to the best of my ability. I don't have a semi naked lady as an avatar, I don't have a list of my reps in my signature (it would be a waste of time as they change so frequently) and I don't reserve rudeness for noobs, I'll call out anyone I think is being a knob (case in point the only person on my ignore list is a very well known longstanding forum member)!!

Finally, I think the fact that noobs subsidise our watch purchases is complete nonsense. The way economy works is that the more people who buy something, the more expensive that thing becomes, it's supply and demand!!

That's my 2 cents, other than that you're right about the fact we were all noobs and should all group hug etc etc....

DC

Economic 101 there

wonderful take on this

:giggle:

avc0002

I posted a bunch of dumb shit. I think I still do. Every time I post a question I feel like an idiot when they answer it. but its the internet. it is what it is

I do with some of the signatures didn't exist. just too much

Frankt8242

Well....I've been posting on the various rep fora for @ 7 or 8 years now, and have been a member, and a certified "WIS" on TimeZone since last century, and I still can't tell whether a Rolex Sub, or Omega PO is real, just by looking at it...And in actuality, I don't really give a shit!!.... :treadmill:

Edited by Frankt8242

parisianshut

Only a Noob would post this !

THIS

frabz-noob-5a8eb4.jpg

Hornet

Does OP want us to all hold hands and sing kumbaya ya? Fuck that, what would Baldrick do with out fresh meat to grind and where will get our comedy gold?

JohnG
he-called-me-a-noob-i-called-him-an-ambulance.jpg

black263

Hey there. Here's a few thoughts. Feel free to wade in.

1. NOOBS ARE ANNOYING. Absolutely, of course they are. They ask obvious questions that have been asked many times before. Rather than search the forum they post a question such as, "Which TD has the best Rolex Navitimer Day Date Aquaracer PAM," or whatever.

2. NOOBS ARE LAZY. Rather than do actual research they do the Gen Y thing of firing a question off into cyberspace and wait for the answer to arrive.

3. YOU WERE A NOOB ONCE. Obvious of course but nonetheless factually correct. You posted stupid shit and asked dumb questions. Be honest.

4. EXPERTS ARE ALSO ANNOYING. But in a different way. Experts have very long signature blocks that list the watches they own. They have hot women in undies as their avatar photo (kind of a give away that they hot women in undies is not a feature of their actual life). They have in jokes. They are often rude to noobs.

6. MANNERS. Be nice. Noob and expert alike, we share a specific mutual interest in a thing most people don't get.

Imagine all the people, living life in peace...

I think you're absolutely right. Those who have been here a while forget what it was like to be a noob. It's important to remind the elders of this, every so often. So thank you indeed for raising the subject.

Now fuck off and stop bothering me.

greg_r

:lol:@black263

BTW: If you weren't here at the start, you're all bloody noobs... :D

P4GTR

Why does everyone keep talking about noobs on this forum? A lot of threads lately. I don't understand why it's a big deal. Maybe it isn't?

There are not that many regulars here that I see, a handful or two that do all of the posting it seems. Some of them may come off pissy but truth be told most all members are pussy cats and glad to help as long as you are nice and have some manners. In the open, a little ribbing is to be expected.

Maybe i'm missing something. There is no better time to start becoming a regular yourself. The more personalities the more interesting things will be.

markeym3

I like the noobs , I like the questions and the enthusiasm, Not quite sure on the "elder" bit , I hope you don't think that the older (as in years here) members are sat cross legged in front of the computer with long beards and joss sticks burning away in a "Aaah grasshopper" style ...

But yes some folk are a bit harsh but what do you expect with 1000's of different personalities..

black263

I like the noobs , I like the questions and the enthusiasm, Not quite sure on the "elder" bit , I hope you don't think that the older (as in years here) members are sat cross legged in front of the computer with long beards and joss sticks burning away in a "Aaah grasshopper" style ...

But yes some folk are a bit harsh but what do you expect with 1000's of different personalities..

Not at all. Some use an abacus.

dalboy

Theres a Noob in all of us .. Just struggling to get out :giggle:

Dal.

Mattcrx

You are talking utter bollocks. Where is your research to back-up this claim, you fuckwit? Audit the TDs accounts do you?

FFS :facepalm:

Abit strong isn't it mate?? chill man!

markeym3

Theres a Noob in all of us .. Just struggling to get out :giggle:

Dal.