Sign in to follow this  
mitchbaria

Advice needed! Vintage questions

mitchbaria

Hi guys,,,, some of you know I've spent over two years working on a 16800 Sub Franken....I'm now wishing to move on into a tad older model,,, so far I've spent a few days thinking case sets and I've narrowed this idea down too several possibilities with questions.....along with looking for more suggestions....

1. H&R sterile case set,,, seemingly a very good choice, while all gen construction still will requires many mods such as case reshaping and other difficulties and unforseen drawbacks that could surface along the way...

2. MBW even better choice with all drawbacks being in the initial investment to obtain a MBW watch that are rare and very expensive...

3. New cartel vintage....??? I've tried asking Andrew about these as they claim"all parts interchangeable with genuine" with no success...lol in fact,, it's worse then talking to my neighbors freaking kids! Even more questions now then before I emailed....lol. so please any of you that have purchased these so called vintage watches and have inside KNOWLEDGE as to their true gen construction please do,, share....your info well be greatly appreciated....

Again any suggestions into case sets for a base on a new vintage Franken please,,, speak up....I'm wanting to do a vintage Sub or SD...open for suggestions...

Edited by mitchbaria

bennykwa

the cartel vintage cases are pretty nice after a little reshaping/new dial. The HR 5513 case is also pretty nice but also needs some slight reshaping and a new bezel construction.

Depends on how close to gen you want. ;))

mitchbaria

Thank you,,,that is my question really,,I see the cartel cases are nice, but are they GEN construction as claimed in the description?

"All parts are interchangeable with genuine"

Edited by mitchbaria

jdog

Thank you,,,that is my question really,,I see the cartel cases are nice, but are they GEN construction as claimed in the description?

"All parts are interchangeable with genuine"

Short answer, no. What are you looking to build? I could point you in a bunch of different directions depending on what you are looking to do. 5512/13/17 1860 etc... Big Crown...The list goes on.

As said, depends on how much work you can/want to do, how close to gen, and of course budget.

mitchbaria

I'm flexible on the build model because honestly I'm going to decide based on the case set I'm able to put my hands on... My partner is building a 5513 from a MBW and I can go that way with the HR or MBW as I have access to both....we were looking through Andrew's site and stumbled into the top vintage section and tried to then question Andrew as to the different models being actually able to take GEN bezel assemblies and such,,, lol that didn't get anyplace....I'd like to be able to put together a vintage SD but can't find a case set that is GEN construction....so without rambling I'm just wondering if there are any full GEN construction case sets other then HR and MBW,,, talking subs or sd's (none of the very old stuff,,lol,, I'm new to vintage haven't studied all the model #'s yet)

Thanks for your advice....as far as skill goes we can do most anything...

Edited by mitchbaria

jdog

PM'd

BC1221

cartel subs seem to all use 5512 cases.

they take 5512 gen parts.

if youre wanting to build a 5512, i think it would work.

Dial size is for 5512/5513 (26mm)

plexi size is 30.5mm for outer and 28mm for inner

i had to sand a little to get a 1680 clark plexi to fit.

bezel is 5513 spec. itll take 5513 inserts with no modding. snaps in like gen.

gen like construction. bezel - washer - crystal retainer (no gasket. ive heard they used to come with plastic gaskets in the past)

no lug engravings

case back engraving is 5512

ive had 3 of the vintage 1680s and theyve all been 5512 cases.

if you can get a MBW case, i wanna know where!

the homage case on ebay seems like a good candidate if you can live without the engravings.

it seems to be gen spec for a 1680