Sign in to follow this  
bigstupid

Recommendations for machine work / case modifications

bigstupid

I just bought a Project X HS01 rep (the no date ceramic sub sans crown guards and bezel lume dot). It has a 7mm crown.

I want to fit a 8mm crown. I bought the 8mm crown and tube, but I don't have the equipment (or probably skill) to drill and tap the case to accommodate the new tube. From what I have read, this involves removing the original tube, drilling out the opening with a 2.65mm bit and threading it with a 3mm x .35 tap.

I took a look through the trusted dealers, but it didn't appear that any of the services offered there fit what I want to do.

There was a thread over at RWI where someone did something similar and used a local watchsmith. I have no established relationships with any local shop and am a bit reluctant to approach any.

Recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

elp

Where are you based? If in EU I recommend Timebandit

DeLaForce

Register at Homageforum there's many ppl who can do it for you even depending on you're location, I'd recommend Neckyzips.

Edited by DeLaForce

Hornet

RWG has its own UK based watchsmith and also I can recommend SSTEEL on here. Email them and see if they could help.

bigstupid

Where are you based? If in EU I recommend Timebandit

I am in the U.S.. Sorry -- I should have made that clear in my original post.

Hornet

Katt's in the US...

bigstupid

From the services that Katt specifies in his listing, it doesn't appear that he does machine work. I suppose that I can inquire.

It seems like getting this done would be a little easier on the other side of the Atlantic.

Hornet

I'd have a search on here and maybe wait for a few more responses.

elp

From the services that Katt specifies in his listing, it doesn't appear that he does machine work. I suppose that I can inquire.

It seems like getting this done would be a little easier on the other side of the Atlantic.

DeLaForce's suggestion is good - register on HomageForum, there must be people who have done this and offer such services

bigstupid

DeLaForce's suggestion is good - register on HomageForum, there must be people who have done this and offer such services

Thanks. I have posted to HomageForum -- we'll see what comes back there.

BC1221

pbdad i believe can do it.

jmb too.

bigstupid

pbdad i believe can do it.

jmb too.

Are those users on this forum? I can't find pbdad, and jmb's profile says it was last active in July of 2012.

Thanks,

BC1221

I think both are more active on rwi.

Russkiy Doc

nofitstate

I just bought a Project X HS01 rep (the no date ceramic sub sans crown guards and bezel lume dot). It has a 7mm crown.

I want to fit a 8mm crown. I bought the 8mm crown and tube, but I don't have the equipment (or probably skill) to drill and tap the case to accommodate the new tube. From what I have read, this involves removing the original tube, drilling out the opening with a 2.65mm bit and threading it with a 3mm x .35 tap.

I took a look through the trusted dealers, but it didn't appear that any of the services offered there fit what I want to do.

There was a thread over at RWI where someone did something similar and used a local watchsmith. I have no established relationships with any local shop and am a bit reluctant to approach any.

My friend!

You guys are not creative. In Russian we know how to get it done. It will work for you in USA also.

Identify a small local machine shop ... they exist ... many. Visit them with your (disassembled) watch case and the new tube ... and a case of beer. They will laugh and do it in 5 minutes. They will keep your beer! ))

That would work for me in my machine shop lol!

PhillyRock

My friend!

You guys are not creative. In Russian we know how to get it done. It will work for you in USA also.

Identify a small local machine shop ... they exist ... many. Visit them with your (disassembled) watch case and the new tube ... and a case of beer. They will laugh and do it in 5 minutes. They will keep your beer! ))

15 years ago there were still neighborhood machinists, at least ones that I can remember. These days not many still exist.

However, this is a pretty good idea. I hope your search is sucessful.

JohnG

Just go to a gas station and tell them to drill that fucker out. Then use some wood putty to glue the tube in there.

1286792766_1286701007_there_i_fixed_it_38.jpg

bigstupid

Just go to a gas station and tell them to drill that fucker out. Then use some wood putty to glue the tube in there.

1286792766_1286701007_there_i_fixed_it_38.jpg

I was thinking something more like good ol' JB Cold Weld.

JohnG

I was thinking something more like good ol' JB Cold Weld.

Wood putty is cheaper.

:rofl:

10:10 Watch Repair

I suggest you drill larger than 2.65 if you want to use a 3mm tap.