Sign in to follow this  
dalboy

How Much is Too Much ?

dalboy

Like others here i have seen the price of Reps steadily increase over the years .

The quality has improved too, sadly externally not internally , the latter never seems to keep pace with the former ..

They look really good , the quality and feel is getting sooo close especially on the high end stuff , yet the movements are still mostly made out of fucking Liquorice . more emphasis needs to be made on the internal stuff to warrant the costs .

After all, you spend a chunk of dough on something which could implode at any second , some do !

The rising costs have begun to get to a point where for me , its game over , yes they look pretty , and some are closer to the Gens than others , essentially still a rep though .

When i get to see what i like and its price is North of $400 + this and + that .. not any more .i'm out .

So ! What is your cut off point ..

Dal.

rusty peters

$350 at the absolute highest. If the watch has an A7750, not a penny more than $200.

Gazzla

Dal I love liquorice.

These are reps. though . .

Qaz95Bn.png

:rofl:

hnic

ive paid $700 before and i would do that again

i'll pay some more if i have to

i dont think i would spend $1000 on a rep though

so $999 would be the limit i guess..

ShovelnTC

I think most agree but I guess it's the individuals financial position that will determine that cutoff point.

Personally my Rep limit for off the shelf Reps is around $300, for had built or modded such as BK and TC then I will go higher but right now anything above $300 go's for Gens such as Hamilton/Steinhart etc..

Eadesy

£100 M2M's keep me happy.

But I'm tight, and northern ;)

dalboy

Dal I love liquorice.

These are reps. though . .

Qaz95Bn.png

The little pimple jobs for me mate .

Lagger

$350 tops for me, the money they are making on them is ridiculous

PhillyRock

I've paid as high as $725, but it was justified by quality.

I do agree however that the $400 and up 7750's will never pry a penny out of my pockets, I'm really hoping that they fix the guts to justify the

higher prices. If a TD or factory is asking $450 for a 95% look alike Rep, the inside better match the outside as far as quality.

Daywatch

For the (low with exceptions) quality offered, at $318 it´s game over for me. Have made the exceptions and got the results 50% good 50% give me my money back (which I won´t get). So at the $500 price-level, I have no wish to go through all the hassle to - maybe - end up with a visually good one.

21j cheapies have just increased from $118 and $128 to $168 as well (check Cartel), others will follow soon.

Walesy

Depends...I must admit my experience with reps has not been good so far, I bought a PO from Andrew, sent it back for repair, now posted and I don't know where the fuck it is..the tracking just says 'not found' now.

Anyways, $400 is my limit, but to go that far would need to be something special and I really want.

dalboy

For the (low with exceptions) quality offered, at $318 it´s game over for me. Have made the exceptions and got the results 50% good 50% give me my money back (which I won´t get). So at the $500 price-level, I have no wish to go through all the hassle to - maybe - end up with a visually good one.

21j cheapies have just increased from $118 and $128 to $168 as well (check Cartel), others will follow soon.

Thing is , most would be happy to cough up more money if they didn't have Mickey Mouse movements .

Superlume ! Dont even get me started on that load of Bollocks sales Hype .

rusty peters

I want to amend my answer. If it is a TC or a BK that has actual QC and build quality, I will pay more. The reason I am cheap with a garden variety rep is based only on the fact that I know they are nailed together with utter indifference and having them fixed is a pain in the ass.

James.

$0

George.
£100 M2M's keep me happy.

But I'm tight, and northern ;)

Better to be a tight northerner than a loose southerner

George.

Probably wouldn't go over $400 for a single watch... So much great stuff under this price point

Gazzla

Thing is , most would be happy to cough up more money if they didn't have Mickey Mouse movements .

Dal, stop fucking whining. How's the lume on the 089?

N.Rico

i have linits until i get intoxicated , then limits go to .......

that had happens to me a couple of times ,

i got 4 APs in one month and then 2 more , ofcourse intoxicated :giggle:

plankton

Dal,

My theory. If you buy a good gen, say a Rolex DSSD and get it new for 11k, several months or so down the road you get sick of it and sell or trade. The value has normally gone down by at least 25 percent. Now this is given the fact that I do get bored quickly, so to blow $900 to $1500 on a rep and sell for a $300 loss still is pretty acceptable for me. The most i've had in a rep is $1500 or close to it and it sold for $1100.

So to make a long story short I see myself still ahead of getting sick of one gen Rolex. I'm not trying to sound bad, it's all a personal, internal budget.

plankton

I sure know that people are damn happy when I unload one. For sure.

dalboy

Dal, stop fucking whining. How's the lume on the 089?

Leave me alone , Iv'e had a shit day . :lol:

Watch is a stunner. and the lume is brighter than Einstein , until you turn the torch off, luckily when i sleep my eyes are shut so i cant see it anyway .

My Seiko however .. .. well walk past a 4 watt bulb and she glows for 6 months .

dalboy

Dal,

My theory. If you buy a good gen, say a Rolex DSSD and get it new for 11k, several months or so down the road you get sick of it and sell or trade. The value has normally gone down by at least 25 percent. Now this is given the fact that I do get bored quickly, so to blow $900 to $1500 on a rep and sell for a $300 loss still is pretty acceptable for me. The most i've had in a rep is $1500 or close to it and it sold for $1100.

So to make a long story short I see myself still ahead of getting sick of one gen Rolex. I'm not trying to sound bad, it's all a personal, internal budget.

I'll apply your principal of 25% .. sell me you AP Panda .. i'll give ya $375 for it :lmao:

Venomous

I guess it depends on brand for me.

For example, I'm sure I've read here that (a thread on the most expensive rep you own) someone paid in the region of $1,000 for their Cartier. I looked in to that and for $1,000+ they have the original movement. So it makes me wonder if they "fell off the back of a lorry" so to speak. So for that price, I'd happily pay considering the cost of the "gen"

For things like a Hamilton Ventura, which you can buy from MR (and others) for a reasonable price, for the sake of a couple of hundred more, you can have the gen.

But I guess my limit on watches would be $600.

V

edwinowl

Which is why I jumped ship a year or so ago Dal. Almost all my watches built are Swiss engines now with quality case/dials of my choice, I'm in control. Rep game over for me now. True they're getting closer to gen but the saying is 'curtains at the windows, no carpets on the floor' lol.

dalboy

Which is why I jumped ship a year or so ago Dal. Almost all my watches built are Swiss engines now with quality case/dials of my choice, I'm in control. Rep game over for me now. True they're getting closer to gen but the saying is 'curtains at the windows, no carpets on the floor' lol.

How very true Andy ..

Were i as talented as you mate , dare say i go down the same route .