Sign in to follow this  
dalboy

How Much is Too Much ?

kennycoder

Maximum 300 euros. That's my limit for a new or something used from m2m. Reps loose too much value unfortunately. Take a look at AP diver.. it's on V7 now.. can't even guess how much one can as for a v2 or a v3.1 right now...

BadPickle
Which is why I jumped ship a year or so ago Dal. Almost all my watches built are Swiss engines now with quality case/dials of my choice, I'm in control. Rep game over for me now. True they're getting closer to gen but the saying is 'curtains at the windows, no carpets on the floor' lol.

You are a bad man Andy, 2 words- esdee case!!

I've never paid that much for a rep!! :facepalm:

midasmook

The APs are getting really expensive and I have four of them. By the time you have bought the watch and send it off to either Domi or Vac for AR and jewel mod and service the price is north of $1000 but the gens are round about $20000. Mine have been running fine for a couple of years now but I can understand others not wanting to spend this much.

However the manual Pam's are fantastic value now compared to years ago when you had to get every mod under the sun done to get them looking anything like they come now straight from the factory.

MetalMickey

TC Notwithstanding, the Pelagos is my limit, and only then because I am seriously considering a gen. Once that is here it's Steinharts for me...

Cheesemonger

About $400 for a rep, but a custom built is an altogether different story. I look at them as unique pieces and as such, I will spend more.

R5tdi

Most was $700 but it was a flying tourbi cartier , but in general not more than $400 for good rep I try and stay away from 7750 time bombs

For custom or hi mod its a different game and most so far is $1300 fir an AP FC currently being done by vac

Each one to their own I guess on this one

TK01

I agree that reps are becoming more expensive every year. And to be honest as far as rep collecting, I am getting to a point where I have 3-5 watches that I really like and stick to through put the week. I use to buy alot from the TD but I like to support our M2M because it keeps the Hobbie and our economy going here @ RWG, also it's more of insurance tha you're getting a good quality watch. I am at the point were I like a particular watch so much I buy two of them because I hate taking of the straps or bracelets because one day I want to wear stainless steel and next day I want to wear the Ocean racer rubber for example , on Breitling watches some bracelets are a pain. So I am willing to pay $300-$500 on a good barley used rep or already well taken care of most people on here are( Good) dudes and take care of there watches. One thing to keep in mind that some people on here take extra time and actually pay for servicing a watch or custom strap or like many of my watches I just buy the (Gen) breitling bracelets.

So yes I am sill willing to pay $300-500 on reps from M2M but don't forget the money we spend on other things we never get back. I eventually see my self buying few Gens mayb 2-4 and that's it. I will keep my reps but limit my self for sure. I seem to buy reps all the time and it kills my enjoyment to enjoy my watches.

BC1221

I think anything north of $500 for all rep parts is crazy talk.

I never thought I'd ever even buy a TC but a good deal came along so I gave it a shot.

So far, that is the only rep I've had that was worth the high asking price. Gen like construction. Quality movement and parts. Not to mention far better QC.

Anything from china, I have a hard time deciding if it's more than $200.

Always a toss up. You can't exactly send them back if they show up dead or die shortly after getting.

I've sold/traded off most of my reps down to just a few pieces I wear.

The prices of these reps keep going up and the quality is practically the same or in some cases have gotten worse.

I don't really like much of the new watches anyway so I guess it's a good time to cut back.

I don't understand the franken builds people pump $1000s in to. They're great n all but it's still a rep.

I guess if you can afford it, why not.

TK01

To be honest just becuSe someone puts in a gen dial , or a gen bezel to me that says hey here is a rep I paid $300 for " Oh and by the way" " I also spend extra +$500 on gen parts" . So that's like you buying a mercedes S500 for $60,000 and then pay extra $5000 for the AMG rims and tires. You'll never get that "$5,000 " back out of it. So I won't always pay "Extra " for a rep just because someone decided to buy gen parts. But it depends if its a gen Mesh by Bteitling or something like that that's another story. +1 with BC1221(if you can afford why not) still a rep.

Daywatch

What I meant to say regarding china built reps was if You get one that costs $220 and it´s crap, ok You fix it or You get another.

If You get one that costs $600 and it´s the same crap, You have no other way than to fix it and You´re in for a $1.000,- already.

Now try to do this for 5 or 6 reps along 1 or 2 years.

The Bronzo is one of the masterpieces of reliability, the noob V3 sub is one of the masterpieces for crooked pearls or 1mm off rehaut engravings, the latest AP 15400 and the Noob LMPO seem always to have something going on with the logo or the 12´markers (exceptions always granted of course).

Just return and get Your money back does not work, as we all know, so You may end up with something that cost $500 and either doesn´t look or doesn´t work the way it is supposed to be.

Weighing this in, You get a mint gen Tudor BB from $2400 and a used 16570 Explorer II from $3500. Over a Years frame it doesn´t look as far fetched as it once was.If You put more money into those, at least You have something,

as You have with a TC or with some fine vintage PAM or Rolex builds on m2m.

Oregonmarcus

I have bought a few of the more expensive reps, but I have never seen anything north of 650. Can anyone point me towards reps that are above that? I'm really to curious to see what that looks like.

TK01

Yea I understand what you mean for sure that. The thing is though no one is making us own 25-40 reps. It is normal to have 1-3 watches. So when we spend thousands on reps this means we are addicted and we have a sickness.

We do loose alot in this Hobbie if u think about it. One way o think about it is, Gen rolex or Breitling if they ever need to be serviced or something brakes in the movement it will cost as much as half your reps put together., so there for this Hobbie pays its self of in theming run.:)

apismo

I have only 1 rep. I love it. The rest of my collection are gens. Some cheep some big bucks. As for how high I would go, about $400.00 USD .I do enjoy hearing what people say about this hobby. But that's just it. It's a hobby. What you can afford guides what you spend. Although this hobby is sort of like Russian roulette. Fortunately my experience was a lot of fun and as it turned out the biggest pain was western union.I also agree that one of the things I like about watches are the engines. So the case and face look nice if it does not work or it does not keep good time it sucks.

My 2 cents.

James.

What Andy said. Your own quality control.

James.

Though gems have quality/reliability issues as well, though not as prevalent as is reps. It'll often boil down to whether you want a reliable timekeeping piece or something that looks like one.

millionaire wannabe

I'm in the $400 club. Never more, or I'm getting something cheaper, or going gen shopping. Lots of quality gens for $400-$800.

nev848

Even though Stu (PickledFuckwitBeetroot) will hate me for saying this I went Back to Gens a year or so ago. Sorry Stu :)

The main reason is I never felt comfortable wearing a rep as I just knew it would either stop, something would fall off it or I would catch cancer off the Chinese strap.

If they arrive DOA from China then it's a complete nightmare to send it back at our cost just to receive another one that will kill itself in a heart beat.

I do have two reps but both have Swiss inside them. Once they start making them with a decent insides I may go back to buying them.

What gets me is you can pick up a beauty from Christopher Ward with an ETA movement for a fraction more than an average rep. I won't even mention Seiko's as that would really rub it in.

But it is supply and demand so as long as the pissheads in Tenerife keep buying them the factories will not change.

dannyw

many many pissheads i see :giggle: me included~

dalboy

But it is supply and demand so as long as the pissheads in Tenerife keep buying them the factories will not change.

Question is ?

What is the pickledeatingbeetrootpisspot doing in tenerife :lmao:

TheSav

The most I paid was $530 for a new AP silver themes on bracelet. But I was always comfortable with $300 - $400 for something decent. However with the price of reps going up steadily, unlike the Aussie dollar that has fallen, and the fact that you can get a very decent and often times unique gen for less than 2K, it is hard for me to justify spending money on reps any longer.

watchlvr91

I won't go over $400

BadPickle
Even though Stu (PickledFuckwitBeetroot) will hate me for saying this I went Back to Gens a year or so ago. Sorry Stu :)

The main reason is I never felt comfortable wearing a rep as I just knew it would either stop, something would fall off it or I would catch cancer off the Chinese strap.

If they arrive DOA from China then it's a complete nightmare to send it back at our cost just to receive another one that will kill itself in a heart beat.

I do have two reps but both have Swiss inside them. Once they start making them with a decent insides I may go back to buying them.

What gets me is you can pick up a beauty from Christopher Ward with an ETA movement for a fraction more than an average rep. I won't even mention Seiko's as that would really rub it in.

Yeah yeah :Yawn: what-ever nevilllelookatmewithmyluvverlygensyoupoortwats848

Question is ?

What is the pickledeatingbeetrootpisspot doing in tenerife :lmao:

Huh!!! Can we move this to flame free ?????

:lol:

Kwt

Well I just spent £400 (including fees) on an TC V6 - I think this will be my last rep. But a good one!

edwinowl
Which is why I jumped ship a year or so ago Dal. Almost all my watches built are Swiss engines now with quality case/dials of my choice, I'm in control. Rep game over for me now. True they're getting closer to gen but the saying is 'curtains at the windows, no carpets on the floor' lol.

Point is buddy it's having a Swiss 6497 inside and the case, well you know the rest don't you. ??

bennykwa

Point is buddy it's having a Swiss 6497 inside and the case, well you know the rest don't you. ??

where are all the rolex 618, angelus 240, cortbert 616 guys here?