Sign in to follow this  
Derek Mc

Rolex GMT Master II 16710LN review

Derek Mc

I have worn this one for about a month in general circulation with the Breitlings and latterly the Seamaster 300 Master from last week. Bought from Amanda at KW.

I thought I would do a very quick review for you as this has been a really surprising watch to me for a few reasons.

Some eye candy,,,,

The Gen,,,

1186861d1376257078-first-rolex-gmt-master-ii-rolex1.jpg

The rep

_DSC0164_zps75abb57c.jpg

_DSC0165_zpsb73a305e.jpg

Note the tiny bit of fluff from Dental floss I noticed it here and it made me furious as I need to re-tuck it, it just tightened up the bezel perfectly

_DSC0173_zpsd7ce594c.jpg

_DSC0167_zps399cbc27.jpg

So why not a Sub then? well that was the first question? I do like Sub's but they are very popular in the circles I move in with work so a fairly easy call if it isn't an outstanding watch where as, I have not seen a GMT in three years of looking apart from at the dealers.

This is a really good looking model the bezel is wonderful with the dial combo this is a B-L-A-C-K!! dial it seems to draw light like a black hole it's deep glossy sheen is wonderful.

Numerals are a rich titanium grey and the top triangle an even rich tone.

The crystal has the obligatory rolex crown spot position on at the bottom and the cyclops gives the 2.5 magnification and does seem to give the perfect illusion of being hollow thanks to the AR coating on the inside.

Bezel clicks are very tight but the slight looseness around the noon position caused my need for a bit of flossing!

The case is very well finished and does feel of very high quality the polished sides and crown guards are beautifully done and have a wonderful reflectivity.

The Movement.

This was the prime reason the cheapie was on my list, its a fabulous little Citizen 8200 and super reliable, keeps great time, has a monster power reserve and the GMT function is a wonderful distraction even though the hand stack is totally wrong, I don't care and I don't know anyone outside of here that could tell me at a familiarity look at the piece, that it actually is a fake!

DW is crisp font is good and clicks over on cue at about 5 min's to midnight or so, so close enough for my care as I am usually tucked up in bed long before the event!

The Lume is poor, that doesn't worry me, I don't live for lume as I said in the Omega post lume is never of great importance in my considerations of watches.

The hologram on the caseback is a truly lovely thing! I never bore of these things :)

The Strap and clasp.

_DSC0170_zpsff02a85c.jpg

_DSC0169_zps916f4aad.jpg

_DSC0171_zps61f3e9a2.jpg

The clasp is wonderful on the latest Rolex models I love it as it feels a quality piece, the crown on the lock is beautifully constructed and the tiny ballbearings that lock it make sure that it feels every bit as good as the gen.

The dual finish of brushed satin outer edges polished inner section and polished vertical edges not only adds more visual appeal than the all satin "Sub" but feels very silky on wrist.

Being a slim watch i.e. not to tall, it slips under all my work shirts with ease be that single or double cuff and apart from the fairly rough serations to the bezel edge this is an easy to wear piece that looks good formal and informal.

The crown.

Very solid indeed several turns to lock down and release, it has a very crisp logo embossed on it and generally looks and feels so close to the gen.

I tend to wear this as a daily work watch keeping the Omega and Skyland as special treat watches despite if being a cheap to buy watch, I would 100% recommend it as a very sound buy and one that will bring a smile for value for money.

justwannalook

thanks for this!

Simms

Great review Derek, thanks for the info

J.Eric

Very Nice!

My GMT IIc has become my go to watch for just about everything.

part_timer

Been wearing mine I got from the late Robert all week. Nice review! :)

Lawrence3434

Nice replica.

Pseudonym

Very nice Derek. Still amazed at how close these are to gen.

HTD

Very useful! I am purchasing one soon swell. Outstanding watch.

dd1153

Great GMT-II review - I love my Batman.. however my crown will not lock. Thinking about getting the noob version. Personally I like the GMT-II over the Sub on the wrist.

the_frenchman

I have worn this one for about a month in general circulation with the Breitlings and latterly the Seamaster 300 Master from last week. Bought from Amanda at KW.

I thought I would do a very quick review for you as this has been a really surprising watch to me for a few reasons.

Some eye candy,,,,

The Gen,,,

1186861d1376257078-first-rolex-gmt-master-ii-rolex1.jpg

The rep

_DSC0164_zps75abb57c.jpg

_DSC0165_zpsb73a305e.jpg

Note the tiny bit of fluff from Dental floss I noticed it here and it made me furious as I need to re-tuck it, it just tightened up the bezel perfectly

_DSC0173_zpsd7ce594c.jpg

_DSC0167_zps399cbc27.jpg

So why not a Sub then? well that was the first question? I do like Sub's but they are very popular in the circles I move in with work so a fairly easy call if it isn't an outstanding watch where as, I have not seen a GMT in three years of looking apart from at the dealers.

This is a really good looking model the bezel is wonderful with the dial combo this is a B-L-A-C-K!! dial it seems to draw light like a black hole it's deep glossy sheen is wonderful.

Numerals are a rich titanium grey and the top triangle an even rich tone.

The crystal has the obligatory rolex crown spot position on at the bottom and the cyclops gives the 2.5 magnification and does seem to give the perfect illusion of being hollow thanks to the AR coating on the inside.

Bezel clicks are very tight but the slight looseness around the noon position caused my need for a bit of flossing!

The case is very well finished and does feel of very high quality the polished sides and crown guards are beautifully done and have a wonderful reflectivity.

The Movement.

This was the prime reason the cheapie was on my list, its a fabulous little Citizen 8200 and super reliable, keeps great time, has a monster power reserve and the GMT function is a wonderful distraction even though the hand stack is totally wrong, I don't care and I don't know anyone outside of here that could tell me at a familiarity look at the piece, that it actually is a fake!

DW is crisp font is good and clicks over on cue at about 5 min's to midnight or so, so close enough for my care as I am usually tucked up in bed long before the event!

The Lume is poor, that doesn't worry me, I don't live for lume as I said in the Omega post lume is never of great importance in my considerations of watches.

The hologram on the caseback is a truly lovely thing! I never bore of these things :)

The Strap and clasp.

_DSC0170_zpsff02a85c.jpg

_DSC0169_zps916f4aad.jpg

_DSC0171_zps61f3e9a2.jpg

The clasp is wonderful on the latest Rolex models I love it as it feels a quality piece, the crown on the lock is beautifully constructed and the tiny ballbearings that lock it make sure that it feels every bit as good as the gen.

The dual finish of brushed satin outer edges polished inner section and polished vertical edges not only adds more visual appeal than the all satin "Sub" but feels very silky on wrist.

Being a slim watch i.e. not to tall, it slips under all my work shirts with ease be that single or double cuff and apart from the fairly rough serations to the bezel edge this is an easy to wear piece that looks good formal and informal.

The crown.

Very solid indeed several turns to lock down and release, it has a very crisp logo embossed on it and generally looks and feels so close to the gen.

I tend to wear this as a daily work watch keeping the Omega and Skyland as special treat watches despite if being a cheap to buy watch, I would 100% recommend it as a very sound buy and one that will bring a smile for value for money.

Great review mate and lovely watch !!

How is the movement going, is it still working well? im about to order one of these and i really like the fact that is have a citizen movement, do you think is more reliable than the 2813 ?

Thanks

Earl

nice & interesting review;

Jason6168

Gmt hand is workable?

vinnychase1

Thanks for posting and also who the TD was. Looks pretty good.

jd1566

Which TD is this from?!

And yes, how reliable is the Citizen movement? Looks like a very nice one..

Clinkinfo

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do it. I love the gmt. I've been recently wearing my sub though and I'm finding it more and more useful to have the timing bezel instead of the 24 hour markings. But I still like the gmt look!