Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

The Rolex 16800 : It's been emotional (Pic Heavy!)

Pseudonym

When I first set out to create a 16800 trans sub, I never quite realise how involved the project would become in terms of finances but also in terms my own Rolex education. Before we get into the journey of this watch, let's get into a bit of old fashioned internet plagiarism.

The ref: 16800 was introduced in 1977-78. This model produced several new "technologies" including the introduction of the 28,800bph cal.3035, quick-set date function, sapphire crystal & increased depth rating to 300m/1000ft.

Gen:

16800+2__.JPG

Some will ask: why build an "unfashionable" trans sub? Well; quite simply, this was the model of Submariner offered for sale at the time of my birth. 1983.

In keeping with my birth year watch, I wanted to locate a matte dial. after searching around the internet I discovered a few aftermarket sources that might suffice and keep the cost of modding a standard rep into the watch I wanted. Upon asking several members endless questions, bum threads of little interest, and generally trying to establish the differences between the mid cases, I got talking to my first info champion. Jerkstore.

Mike is an absolute fountain of knowledge. I sincerely thank him for all he did. We chatted several times over small things as well as the major pieces of the build. It was at this point, I realised that I had to go big or go home with this build. I set about the boards looking for builds that had all the right ingredients. The case, the movement, the dial, the hands, the bracelet

my first stope was the movement bizarrely. I had made my mind up to go with a Yuki 3135 clone. I'd read from the knitting circle that it was possible to mod it with gen parts which appealed to me no end. it screamed that this movement was the base for my watch.

Next came the case. I had been keeping an eye out for a few weeks & one came up. An ST3135 lughole case. Boom! Winner! Now, while it's close it's not exactly gen spec. there is some softening and TLC required. I sent SSTEEL a message after seeing some great work of his, and how good a job he had made of some vintage cases. We exchanged mail, and the case was set to be sent when ready. I also asked him to assemble the final parts before being shipped for finishing.

The dial was the next big ticket item I wanted to find. I had looked around and saw several after market dials but they were either discontinued or unavailable. I began stalking ebay like a hawk and 1 popped up on ebay. I contacted the seller who said they wouldnt take an offer. Bummer. In my excitement, I stupidly told him he hadnt actually listed a 1680 dial , but the dial I wanted. low & behold, the auction was pulled & I never even got to bid. Fast forward 3 weeks and nothing. Not a dickie bird. I new if I wanted I dial I would have to be a little more clever this time. after another week, my luck came in. Another matte dial popped up from a seller in the states. I emailed him and made a good offer to end the auction early. All the while this was going on, I had pinged Mike the link and asked if he thought the dial was legit. To my inexperienced eye, it was great, but I needed a second option. Mike responded and said it was good to go. The offer was accepted and the auction was ended. I had myself a gen matte dial. the only downside to it was it had been professionally refurb'd. all that lovely patina lume wiped from the face. Shocking. still I saved myself a few bucks because of this.

That was it. I had just about everything I needed. By this time the ST3135 case had arrived, the Yuki was here, and now the dial. While searching for the major parts, I managed to snag a really nice 93150 from Puretime off of a member on RWI. the only thing I needed was the correct end links. Not wanting to pay too much at the time ( I thought I had spent enough) I found WSO on ebay sold rep 501b's. Snap! Another piece of the puzzle.

One other find was the gen insert. Bought from a vendor in Greece. Ok the pearl is cracked, but that simply adds to the character for me.

From reading around the forums I had read that the yuki movement can be unreliable and is much better once it's serviced.

I had asked around for someone to service & it transpired I had 2 options. Misiekped in the states, or KKZ88 here in the UK. While KKz88 was new to the forum, he had been doing some great work, so I took a punt. lots of progress pics, videos via Whatsapp and it came back to me. While it was being serviced, I had him install a gen cal.3135 Date wheel bought from Misiekped - the only down side to this was it had modern font. not the open 6 & 9 the gen has. a small price to pay. The Y3135 cannot have a DWO installed. bummer.

With the service completed all the parts winged their way to Finland for the attention of Mr STEEL.

it was around this time we ran into a few snags. I had bought a set of, what were meant to be; cal 3135 hands off of ebay. they weren't. I managed to source another set - again, no good. couple of weeks of waiting & Micky & I made the call to send the watch back to me without the hands installed. It wasn't any drama, there was still the refinish of lume on the dial to go. A quick WTB on the forum popped up a set of Yuki 3135 hands from Jase (thanks bro) as well as buying a set direct. I mounted these myself, but did my usual trick of fucking the keyless while trying to install the movement back in the case. For the record. I now no longer do anything with any of my watches. That's what the likes of SSTEEL etc are for.

With the keyless fucked, I sent it back to KKz88. He fixed it & put it all back together again. He also offered to install a gen No-LEC crystal I had bought from the bay. Right around this time, he shut up shop but true to his word, I got my property back. For that I am grateful.

During the keyless issue, I was reading on TRUF that the very first 16610 with trit dial had open 6 & 9 DW. with hope I put up a WTB on VRF for what I needed. within a day, I had a lead, within 2 I had what I needed. A rarer than rocking horse shit 16610 trit DW. Thank you!!!

For the final piece of the puzzle there was only ever one man who could do the job. KeNnY. Everyone knows his work so I wont rabbit on any longer.

4 weeks later and it's back with me. That was just over a month ago now.

I want to personally thank everyone who advised, assembled, modded, services and put up with my shit along the way. Most appreciated.

enough of the story. Lets get to the pics - taken by me. Best I can do!

Enjoy.

P.

rl6W2xj.jpg

oj3I2Zh.jpg

hrMYzk1.jpg

iJfzrBN.jpg

X8bUGH7.jpg

4vD4o7z.jpg

gWPH4th.jpg

AbsCTDV.jpg

NqXqWQB.jpg

uzzvU1b.jpg

isDQUNR.jpg

xrRs0oL.jpg

jc7s1Ij.jpg

zuOrlsI.jpg

xpegzFE.jpg

wYJ2r34.jpg

gZN7DMY.jpg

KODOJY0.jpg

Build spec:

ST3135 full case assembly

Y3135

Gen DW

Gen no-LEC crystal

Gen insert

Gen matte dial

Gen 703 crown

Gen 7030 tube

Y3135 hands

WSO 501b endlinks

PureTime 93150

andyboy

Lovely build

Hope you are bringing it to the GTG

:thumbsup:

HWG
:clap: congrats on an amazing looking watch!

Simms

That my friend, is beautiful labor of love. Thanks for sharing the story. I hope you enjoy the watch

Kcore

Beautiful watch, great story. Thank you for both and wear it proudly in health!

champagne-communist

Great one! I was also thinking about building a 1983 watch :)

Kcore

Beautiful watch, great story. Thank you for both and wear it proudly in health!

Foxindebox

What a lovely watch, congratulations on a great build :)

boneyjr

good work. Wear it well.

xj4sonx

GREAT read and AMAZING build...congrats it is awesome

anfalas

Superb job and a really excellent read. Thanks :thumbsup:

jdog

As I told you the first time I saw it, amazing build Rob. Hope seeing the finished 1680 changes your mind! :)

Congrats bud! :clap:

Arism

What a build. Stunner. :drool:

Wear her in health my friend! :)

baxter

Now that is a VERY pretty build mate ...... one of the best i've seen i think .... really nice to see a watch that hasn't been over vintagised - i think that's the new trend right there :D great pics as well, congrats mate and enjoy !!!

ronin007

Great read and pics,a stunner!!!!

Kemist

This is a piece of classic art my friend.

Wear this beauty well!

Pseudonym
Now that is a VERY pretty build mate ...... one of the best i've seen i think .... really nice to see a watch that hasn't been over vintagised - i think that's the new trend right there :D great pics as well, congrats mate and enjoy !!!

I'll take that as a compliment knowing the vintage collection you've had mate.

Yeah the whole look of the watch was really determined by the condition of the bezel insert. Sure it's 30 years old, got a few dinks, but it's been loved & looked after.

@jase: I hope so mate. I hope so.

Truth is I'm still on the fence about selling up. I'm hoping something sparks the imagination again! & soon!

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.

MoveAlong

Beautiful! Great story of the journey, wear it proudly.

plankton

Wow Rob, long time coming these pics are!!! Happy for you, lots of effort on that one. Case looks fantastic, insert (wow), very nice.

I saw a stand that looks familiar to me......

Congrats to you!

mspangl

Beautiful Watch,mate. The dial goes so well with that DW.

A true gem :wub:

hnic

looks amazing

great story to read as well

im going to safe a picture of this, thats how nice i think it is!!

Eto33

Damn congratz on The build its amazing

Daytona_Dreamer

A true work of art !!! Sweet ....

nunu78

Mate that's a pure beauty you have,wear in good health.

SSTEEL

Stunningly beautiful, so happy to see it completed Rob, and I feel proud to of been apart of its creation :)